Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,027 times

Advertisements

So, what hobbies do you have that people seem to hate or think they are a 'Waste of time'? For me, its computer games. For some reason, the general public sees video games as a waste of my time, robbing me of real life experiences, and making me addicted. But I probably couldn't care less. What hobbies do you have that people frown upon that you like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:03 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I have a rather extensive large scale model railroad outdoors and it takes up a fair amount of time and money and some people I know think it is a waste of time to sit there and watch that train go around.
Another hobby is or should I say was, shooting guns. I used to go target shooting weekly but haven't been in awhile. My wanna be Democrat sister in law flipped out when she found out there were firearms in the house even though they are well secured. She has zero tolerance and called me a gun toting liberal. I don't get it but that is what she said before she stormed out.
I can see why some people feel video games are a waste of time and I feel the same way to a point. I never see the teenage kids next door to us and all I can imagine is they are inside on a beautiful day playing games. I used to play a online game with a bunch of guys a couple of nights a week and it was fun so I do see their appeal but overall... it is easy to get lost in them and miss out on real life. But hey it is your life and go ahead and do what you like.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,027 times
Before it was video games, Dungeons and Dragons was targeted as this addictive, crack waste of time. There were even people who were going to consider it "Demonic" by other people. I just tend to be carful with my hobbies and interest. I guess any stationary activity that you do that takes up time can be a waste of time to a lot of people.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM

364 posts, read 559,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have a rather extensive large scale model railroad outdoors and it takes up a fair amount of time and money and some people I know think it is a waste of time to sit there and watch that train go around.
Another hobby is or should I say was, shooting guns. I used to go target shooting weekly but haven't been in awhile. My wanna be Democrat sister in law flipped out when she found out there were firearms in the house even though they are well secured. She has zero tolerance and called me a gun toting liberal. I don't get it but that is what she said before she stormed out.
I can see why some people feel video games are a waste of time and I feel the same way to a point. I never see the teenage kids next door to us and all I can imagine is they are inside on a beautiful day playing games. I used to play a online game with a bunch of guys a couple of nights a week and it was fun so I do see their appeal but overall... it is easy to get lost in them and miss out on real life. But hey it is your life and go ahead and do what you like.
Your sister in law is an idiot. Sorry.

I enjoy shooting as well. I like gaming (don't do it like I used to). I read a lot, which is "stupid" to most young people today. I like to get stoned and go fishing.

It's good to diversify yourself from the crowd.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I've found that more and more friends have taken interests in firearms lately with all the press they've gotten. They may have a negative view on it, but once I let it slip I own some, they eventually say "So...can you take me shooting one day?"

I keep it to myself..but never really viewed it as something to frown upon. There's just some touchy people out there

Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Well I have taken up sewing as a hobby and make dresses, felt things etc so that's normal for a chick butttttt. I love LOVE LOVE fan fiction. I'd consider it a hobby I read it every night and chat about it with others so its a kind of relaxing reading hobby for me.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:13 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Traditional archery. The compound guys don't get why I just like shooting with stick and string, but they really have no idea what fun they're missing by shooting a bow that isn't overloaded with gadgetry.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Learning a foreign language, bowling and poker.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 18,818 times
Almost everyone finds my deepest interests to be "weird." They don't find them "immoral" or whatever, as composing classical music is a very morally neutral activity (to the average person, that is...), but they tend to distance me even further from the population base with which I share almost no common attributes with. People assume that because I find psychopharmacology (how drugs work) interesting, that I must be some sort of drug addict, when in fact, I don't even drink.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 AM

355 posts, read 388,924 times
I love games of all kinds, that includes trading card and tabletop

now only the ignorant think anything bad about video games but TCGs and tabeltops are still for nerds

still though, blood for the blood god skulls for the skull throne.(warhammer 40k tabletop game)

if they give me flack the pathrazer of ulamog will crush them(google it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Learning a foreign language, bowling and poker.
those are all mainstream, especially poker and foreign language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation