Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a thread devoted to chess, so I thought that I would start one. I don't know if anyone on this site plays, but I thought that, if anyone plays, that we could meet and get to know one another.

Players - Introduce yourself. Tell us what your rating is on the site where you play. (Please don't bother, if you need a computer to make the moves for you - I would prefer those people who don't cheat and I would hope that that would apply to everyone else also).
My rating on chess.com is 1760 - without the use of a computer - but I'm taking the Summer off from chess.

Maybe a few of us play on the same chess site and games can be arranged.
Maybe we can ask each other questions pertaining to chess, chess sites, or whatever.

This can be an open-ended thread. Take it in whichever direction that you want to - but first, are there any players out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,587 times
I love to play Chess, I do play on the computer allot, and on the computer I play at the intermediate level, the computer plays a good game, and if I am on top of my game with no mistakes I can usually win. Against a computer I will undo my moves, since computers is just number crunching. But against a human opponent, I never undo a move.
A good Chess site that I have found is www.redhotpawn.com this site allows you to pick who you play Chess against. And it is E-Mail based, each person makes a move, and once the move is maid it send a E-Mail to the other opponent, and you can set it up for a maximum of number of days in between moves like say 7, the site also shows you the opponents last move. I have not used the site in many months. And it gets blocked from my work.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Rigby - So far, you and I are the only chess players on this site.

Every site will allow you to set the time before moves. I prefer fast games - one move every 24 hours. I have no idea how people can play a game with a move every 14 days. That would drive me ballistic.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I enjoy chess, though I rarely play anymore. A former coworker and I used to play a game almost every day during lunch. Neither of us were particularly good, but it was enjoyable. I have no clue what my ranking would be, but I'm guessing I'd be lucky to break 1000.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
When I was a young kid I started to learn , a friend was mentoring me then the teenage years hit and I found other things that took my attention up. I was telling the wife that her and I should pick the game up. Any suggestions on how ? Website, books etc ?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,602,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
but first, are there any players out there?
Yeah I'm here. I've been a player for 20 years. I played online regularly from 2000 till 2010 on ICC (www.chessclub.com) which is pretty much the top online site.

My ratings hovered around 1900-2000 during the time I was there. I haven't played a game in quite a long time although I do frequent Chessgames.com: Chess Games Database & Community on a daily basis and go over the games that are listed there. It's a database site and shows the top world tournaments as they happen... a great place to learn from the greats like Magnus Carlsen.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Lamplight - You get better by playing. If you ever get interested in playing again, you could join a chess site - just Google "Chess Sites". I belong to chess.com. Rees belongs to chessclub.com. There are probably many more. If you only make a move a day or every 3 days or whatever, you could probably find the time to make a move without having to worry about taking up a lot of your time.

Scarabchuck - Books can be found at book stores or at a library. They will show you opening movers and the defenses that go along with them. As I told Lamplight, Google "Chess Sites" if you would want to play on the internet. It wouldn't take up alot of your time.

Kees - If you are rated that highly, then you are probably better than I am - and good for you.

At least a few people have found this thread. MAYBE there will be more.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM

180 posts, read 261,650 times
I play in tournaments, though not as many as I used to due to the whole getting married thing. My USCF rating is around 1775 right now.

I play on gameknot. My rating there is sufficiently low that I'm embarrassed to disclose it (I don't take it as seriously as I should for a correspondence-type site, really).

Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 AM

PT - I once signed onto gameknot, played a few games there, then decided to leave.
A few months a go, I tried my first 2 tournaments but I don't care for them.
Why do you like tournaments?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:27 AM

180 posts, read 261,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Why do you like tournaments?
I get a real kick out of the adrenaline feeling with my clock ticking and knowing the game "counts", whether for rating purposes or even for prize money. There are also the social aspects of getting to know people who play other area tournaments. I also enjoy traveling around to neighboring states and using chess as an excuse to cover new territory, though I have found I play much better when I don't have to expend my energy on travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation