Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
How are those not hobbies? They are not hobbies I am interested in, but they are hobbies.

They are people-centered hobbies,
I'd be hard pressed to say these are hobbies, most of them are way too passive. Sure, it could just be a difference in how we define the word hobby but I believe a degree of activity has to exist. Watching TV of any sort would have a very hard time qualifying. (Now I'm prepared for those who say they watch film noir as a hobby and that's watching tv yada yada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 PM

20,386 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I have met a number of men who are severely self-centered...not in a malicious sort of way, but a "completely blind and oblivious to anything not in my immediate sphere of direct experience" sort of way. So like, one of these guys would say, "These are my hobbies. I don't usually see women involved in them. Therefore women don't have hobbies." I'm serious, I know grown dudes, men who are very intelligent in certain ways, who are successful in their lives and endeavors (if not always with women) who essentially operate by this kind of logic. And whose eyes glaze over if you try and talk them out of it. These are also men who often describe women as incomprehensible. Personally I think that is an awful case of making excuses...I don't want to have to concern myself with your thoughts, feelings, or issues, I only want to focus on me, so I will simply say that no one could ever understand you. Nice.

(Gonna stop, my cynicism is starting to leak through a trifle there.)

OK but to something that bugs me about women. I often work in offices full of women. Sometimes during a meeting, when we've had new hires come on board or whatever, we will go around the room and do the whole "Introduce yourself, and tell us something about yourself." Too often, every last lady in the whole room will state the same facts, such as, "Hi, my name is Ruth. I have x pets, y kids, z husband, have lived here all my life." And sit back down. Yet I know that Ruth loves horseback riding. And Cindy does hotrod racing in the desert. And Nancy makes cross-stitch that is so amazing it looks like photographs. Andrea likes to snowboard. Yet, none of them mention these awesome and interesting things.

Why?

Is it because our culture or nature or wiring has us crammed into a mold where we feel that our roles in service to others (kids, husband, pets) are far more important than what we do to express our individual selves? I think it's an interesting question.

After the group I work in had done this introduction routine a few times, one day we were going to do it again and I called the women out on it. I stood and boldly told them that I'm completely tired of hearing about how many kids, dogs, etc people have and if they are married or what. Can we put a rule down for this time that you have to say something about YOURSELF that makes YOU unique? It was much more interesting!

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
... and I also play Pathfinder.

... I've always been a bit of a Tomboy/geek
ME TOO! On both counts! Pathfinder is fun. I also build computers when I get the chance.

Quote:
I can't think of anytime IRL that I have heard someone use the word hobby to describe stuff they do.

Sports, working out, camping, kayaking, cooking, having pets, cars, volunteering -- to me, these are not hobbies.

I guess I think of hobbies as only being things that you buy the materials for at a hobby store. So, crafts. Macrame. Paint by numbers (but not actual painting). Painting miniature D&D figurines is the only 'male' example I can think of.

Maybe a lot of women think like me, and think the sports and stuff that they do are not 'hobbies'?
Why not actual painting?

Perhaps my definition is colored by my accounting knowledge. It's an important distinction for tax purposes. If you make crafts and sell them as a hobby, it is handled differently than if you were actually self employed as an artist doing it full time. There are some rules that help with the distinction...but yeah, they are taxed a bit differently for the income and expenses related. Most people don't actually make any money doing hobbies anyways. I am quite a talented artist in some regards but I practically never make any money at it, and I have a full time job in an office. So my art is a hobby interest.

I also love painting D&D figs and I've gotta say...I'm very much better at it than my husband is! I have better fine motor control and more patience.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

OK but to something that bugs me about women. I often work in offices full of women. Sometimes during a meeting, when we've had new hires come on board or whatever, we will go around the room and do the whole "Introduce yourself, and tell us something about yourself." Too often, every last lady in the whole room will state the same facts, such as, "Hi, my name is Ruth. I have x pets, y kids, z husband, have lived here all my life." And sit back down. Yet I know that Ruth loves horseback riding. And Cindy does hotrod racing in the desert. And Nancy makes cross-stitch that is so amazing it looks like photographs. Andrea likes to snowboard. Yet, none of them mention these awesome and interesting things.

Why?

Is it because our culture or nature or wiring has us crammed into a mold where we feel that our roles in service to others (kids, husband, pets) are far more important than what we do to express our individual selves? I think it's an interesting question.
What an awesome topic to bring up!

I think it's partly the moldy thing . And partly that these are the most important aspecs or ourselvess, on some level. It would be weird to be the new hire and to know that Cindy does hotrod racing but not that she has a husband and kids. And partly it's a founder effect -- the first person answers in this way, and then everyone else follows the format.

Quote:
After the group I work in had done this introduction routine a few times, one day we were going to do it again and I called the women out on it. I stood and boldly told them that I'm completely tired of hearing about how many kids, dogs, etc people have and if they are married or what. Can we put a rule down for this time that you have to say something about YOURSELF that makes YOU unique? It was much more interesting!

Yay!!! That was so bold and brave .

I have seen groups that say, 'Tell us something that no-one here knows about you,' or 'Tell us something unusual about you', that sort of thing.

Quote:
Why not actual painting?
Because you buy the supplies for that at an art supply store .

My comment was about language usage, not what 'should' count.

Quote:
Perhaps my definition is colored by my accounting knowledge. It's an important distinction for tax purposes. If you make crafts and sell them as a hobby, it is handled differently than if you were actually self employed as an artist doing it full time. There are some rules that help with the distinction...but yeah, they are taxed a bit differently for the income and expenses related.
That's interesting; I had no idea.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM

20,386 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:

Because you buy the supplies for that at an art supply store .

My comment was about language usage, not what 'should' count.

And then some of us go to Michael's where they've got everything under the sun for art, hobbies, home decor and then some...but I gotta be careful in there! That's one of those stores where I can spend WAY too much $$$!

Old 10-11-2013, 04:38 PM

769 posts, read 976,860 times
I actually enjoy taking something that was completely ugly and making it pretty. People call it upcyling now but it has always been something fun.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:19 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Aren't those valid hobbies?

I am adding surfing, motorcycle riding, hiking, and sightseeing.
Yeah. I was attempting to make the point that there are stereotypical hobbies that are attributed to each gender and tend to be looked down upon by the opposite sex. I admit I didn't do that great a job at that.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Really though...
What's the difference between women obsessing over the lives of celebrities and men obsessing over athletes? They can be just as all-consumed in my observation and I also consider it a bit extreme to get that wrapped up. I actually hate bringing up sports with most guys because it often leads to them rattling off some name or stat I have no clue about with me just nodding and saying "yep." I'm at most a casual fan of any sport.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:19 AM

17 posts, read 18,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Well I have to say that when i read a lot of online dating profiles, it really seems like a load of these women have no hobbies, because all they list is
"visiting family, listening to my iPod, watching TV" ..come...on...
or something in that style,
but I've never met a girl who doesn't have something she likes to spend her time with that is a real thing, so maybe these women are just shy when writing profiles, or thinks a guy wont want a girl who rides horses or something I don't know, or maybe men and women just read different things into the ward "hobby" online?
I noticed the same thing.
And wonder how "listening to music" counts as having an active interest in something.
Isn't that something you do while you do other things?
Unless you actually sit/lie on the couch and really focus only on that, intently not just listening in general, but listening for certain musical details, etc. ...
Or you like to research certain parts/aspects of music history or whatever.

When I was single and was checking online portfolios, I immediately skipped profiles that only had such generic-seeming descriptions of likes/interests, because it gave me the impression that she is not passionate about anything (whether that is true or not), and I find that boring in a character.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Do you really call wasting time on "social media" a hobby? Now that's priceless!

How is that a hobby? what do you do? you call posting images of food you eat, or are about to eat, with complete lack of consideration towards others who might be dieting, have diabetes, or some other conditions like unemployment preventing them from being able to afford the same amazing desert a HOBBY? you call taunting others a hobby? WOW....

Sewing is a hobby, collecting stamps is a hobby, photographing landscapes, or flowers, or leafs is a hobby, golf is a hobby, building stuff out of wood is a hobby, etc etc etc wasting time on social media is not a hobby...it is the greatest waste of time of all times! What do you GET out of it? what do you enjoy after wasting that time on it? what do you get out of sharing your desert? what do you get after sharing photos of your trip to an exotic location? what do you get other than ego inflation? that's not a hobby.

The above named things are just stereotypes that are continually pushed by republicans on any platform possible to make sure we never evolve past the 50's. Other than that, if you really spend your time paying attention to that crap, that just means YOU don't have a hobby! Those who have real hobbies, are out enjoying them right now. matter of fact, I am going to go enjoy one of my hobbies right now: baking. I am going to make some delicious cookies!

I cannot believe you said "social media" is a hobby....that's an insult to the word "Hobby"!

Old 10-12-2013, 11:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Predominately male forums, eh? You mean like meathead body-building sites?
There are plenty of women on those forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation