Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 03:49 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times

Advertisements

Im thinking up taking up drawing and sketching, mainly outdoor scenes like landscapes and cityscapes.

Any good advice on this for textbooks or how-to books on how to start out drawing or tips for the specific type of outdoors "scenery" drawing...how to draw trees, vegetation, grass, clouds, etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
The best thing to do is actually just do it. Start drawing. In art classes you typically start with artificially set-up "still-life" items. For example in the corner of the class my teacher would put a vase on a small piece of cloth and then ask us to take a couple classes to draw it. He wouldn't move it nor adjust the lighting so we could go back to it another session and pick up where we left off. Your goal as the artist is to try to effectively capture the textures and lighting on those items with your pencil renderings. We went from basic shapes/items to transparent and then even mirrored items. He added artificial flowers, everyday objects such as pencils or phones or other things which had interesting shapes. Folded/Creased cloth is also a challenge and was usually part of each still life. Drawing outdoors is based upon the same principle except that lighting and even the item being drawn will change on you across multiple sessions.

There are a ton of drawing books available for order online. I don't have a specific recommendation but encourage you to look at what your library has to offer before buying something.

Good luck with your new hobby ;-)

Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Try this. Get a tablet, a real one, not Android or iPad but something running full Windows and with an active tablet display that uses a Wacom stylus, not touch.

Then go draw away with pixel precision. I did just that. I'd take some high resolution pictures and then draw on them to see how close I could get. Sure it was a lot like copying but it was really fun to do and I learned a lot.

After you're done, you remove the picture and are left with only what you drew. A real eye opener.

The Microsoft Surface Pro 3 are pretty good but the ones from Motion Computing and high end Fujitsu are really good too.

If you can, borrow one and give it a whirl.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I think you could find lots of instructions and information on sketching by watching some of the Youtube videos.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
I took a drawing class at our local community college and would suggest you consider the same if there's one available. I took it because I'd never been able to draw anything, and because I thought it would help me (as a photographer) to learn more about lighting. (It did, very much so.)

We mostly learned a different type of drawing every week -- learned it in class, then did a drawing each week as homework. I sold one of them a couple times (to large corporations for advertising graphics) and still have a couple others hanging in my home/office. I do a lot of work for various artists, so it's nice to have something I actually did myself to show them. Mine's not as nearly as good as any of theirs, but it's something to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation