Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:05 PM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times

Advertisements

Well before having my 3 year old - Horseback riding/trail riding to all different cites, camping, fishing, photography, and gardening. After having him - gardening, photography, stuff on the computer, and reading. I really miss riding my horse but she is not a kids horse so I haven't riden her in almost 4 years. I have sat on her back bareback with my son a couple times and thats it. I 'll get my son his own horse when we move next year and hopefully mine will still be alive then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 06:03 PM

313 posts, read 833,977 times
My hobby is rubber stamping. I mainly make cards but also do decor items and scrapbooking with them. I started stamping so I could use them in scrapbooking but I have been too intimidated to do much scrapping. For some reason it really overwhelms me.

Mo Mark- I love German. I took it for 2 years in HS and would love to get back into it and learn even more. Was just talking to my G'parents about this over the weekend. My G'pa knew German. My G'ma is Dutch and he met her in Holland on his mission. He is now fluent in Dutch. The languages are very close (I think thats why I did so well in German!) but the differences are enough for him to lose (most of) the German.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
My hobby is rubber stamping. I mainly make cards but also do decor items and scrapbooking with them. I started stamping so I could use them in scrapbooking but I have been too intimidated to do much scrapping. For some reason it really overwhelms me.

Mo Mark- I love German. I took it for 2 years in HS and would love to get back into it and learn even more. Was just talking to my G'parents about this over the weekend. My G'pa knew German. My G'ma is Dutch and he met her in Holland on his mission. He is now fluent in Dutch. The languages are very close (I think thats why I did so well in German!) but the differences are enough for him to lose (most of) the German.
You're right. Dutch is extremely close to German. There's a dialect of Dutch called Frisian which is eerily like English. If you listen to someone speaking Frisian (parts of Belgium and Holland), you will understand a lot of it just because it's so close to English -similar to the effort you have to make to understand certain English dialects in England which don't even sound like English and are difficult to understand. Regular spoken Dutch I can't understand because of the pronounciation and cadence. But I can read Dutch ok sometimes. Written Dutch reveals its similarity to German. English (even with its French influence from the Normans), Dutch, and German are the West German branch of the Germanic Language Family, so very similar. North German includes Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish, and Icelandic (the oldest existing form), and East German no longer exists...that was Gothic which died out hundreds of years ago. I can't read the Scandinavian languages in print, though I can guess easily the meaning of many words because they are similar to German.
If you ever feel like jumping into German and practicing, there's no better teacher than immersing yourself in a German Chatroom. You'll need a German Dictionary to begin with, but you'll find over a period of months if you do it often that you start responding and involving yourself instantly without ever having consciously recognized that you are now understanding instantly what was gibberish before! I recommend Spinchat.de and Lycos.de (de. meaning Deutschland for a German internet address). You may need your dictionary at first when you register so you know what it's asking you. But you can log on as a guest too.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I'm a competitive ballroom dancer and have been dancing ince the age of 3 or 4 and competing since the age of 10. I'm pretty old now (okay, not [i]that[i] old) and I still compete. I love it, it's in my blood and it's not a fad like the current crop of dance-related TV shows. My other hobby is drag racing and car shows. I am a Mopar enthusiast and I'm always looking for a sweet deal on an E-body Mopar!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areyouserious? View Post
Computers - Writing code, building boxes, playing with different linux distros, etc. I no longer do technical work, but its part of my geek roots so I keep playing with the stuff in my off time.

DIY - I love playing with power tools! I do some nice work, but I must say there is nothing like big saw blades and screaming motors, "ohh ohh arghh arghh ohh ohh"

Mountain Biking - Nothing like tumbling 3 or 4 times after you flip your bike on a tree stump. Love it!

Used to be into hot rods, but that does no mix well with kids. Maybe in another 15-20 years I'll start again

Photography - I like playing with black and white photography. If you really pay attention to detail, its much more rewarding than snapping color candid shots on a digital.

Movies - I'm not the typical couch potato with movies. I'm the type that gets more enjoyment watching the "making of" shorts than the actual movie. It really amazes me at how much is involved, and how well it comes together. You get out of it what you want to, but I try to understand it from a project management perspective.

Last but certainly not least - Working with my kids. There is nothing better than teaching something new to a child. Just watching the learning process intrigues me for hours. The reward is that wherever they go, whatever they do, they will always remember who showed them how to do something the first time. Think about that the next time you think you're too busy to show them something. I will not even mention the obvious benefit.
Do you have a dark room? I took classes last year at the college and I thought I was going to hate the dark room but ended up loving it. Black and white is a good way to learn. What kind of camera do you have. We have all Canon stuff.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,859 times
I also love taking black & white photos, especialy scenic and of my son. My camera is a Canon powershot a620 7.1 megapixels and so far I just love it and can't take a bad picture.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
That's interesting that we all enjoy black and white. When editing my photos, I like to create those looks of black and white with just one color showing or one object still colorized.
Lots of photo nuts--very cool!

Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
Hiking, walking, fishing, swimming, birdwatching, playing with my daughter, spending time with my husband and friends, cooking, baking, hanging out on different forums, traveling, languages, mythology, music, etc.

Old 11-07-2006, 06:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Well, besides the computer/internet, (obviously ), I write a little, (for myself, at this point, although I did take a writing course a couple of years ago, for magazine writing. Haven't taken that up seriously, yet).

I love to read. I usually have two, three, or more books going, at the same time. I always take a book with me, especially to places like the doctor's office, or any place that I know I will be waiting.

I also do alot of genealogy on both my family and my husband's. That is alot of fun, kind of like detective work!

I like to camp, when I get the chance. I like fishing, including fly-fishing, which I took back up, recently, (I'm considering taking up fly-tying, also). I hunt a little, deer and squirrel. I have a compound bow, and my shotgun. I also like to shoot, mostly my shotgun. Shooting trap, (clay birds) is alot of fun!

Don't ask me to go to the mall, unless it's a necessity! I'm one of those unusual females, in that I do not, emphatically do not, like to shop! I will avoid the mall like the plague, unless it's abolutely necessary, (i.e. I'm hunting for a specific gift for someone, that I can't find anywhere.). Thank God for the internet! I have learned to do much of my shopping there! However, I will go to Academy Sports, BassPro, or a hardware store!

Last edited by CelticLady1; 11-07-2006 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 AM

169 posts, read 678,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Don't ask me to go to the mall, unless it's a necessity! I'm one of those unusual females, in that I do not, emphatically do not, like to shop! I will avoid the mall like the plague, unless it's abolutely necessary
Lol I'm the same way! I can't stand to "window shop". My mother-in-law used to take me shopping and I'd get so bored. Unless there is something in particular I'm after, it's just not my cup of tea.

As far as hobbies go, I like to paint and dabble in photography. I adore home remodeling/renovation and using power tools too.

Recently I've found a new hobby, if you can call it that. I volunteer my time doing maintenance on a restored 1877 tallship. I sand, varnish, tar and do other various tasks to help keep her in tip-top shape. It's so much fun to do and it's awesome that I get to have a hands-on connection to history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation