Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 07:07 AM

47 posts, read 239,597 times

Advertisements

My hobbies are just ordinary, close to the ground stuff, cooking, reading, camping, maybe a little fishin'. Love to meet new people. My youngest brother age 45, has just now taken up sky diving. He's only jumped once, but he can't wait to go again. He has asked me if I wanted to go, surely he was not serious....( he wasn't) They made a video of his jump, and even tho he was sitting next to me as I watched him jump, I got goosebumps....What could convince a perfectly safe person into jumping out of an airplane? That seems as bad as taking a long walk off of a short pier. There might not be a future in it! So scary. I am so thankul he is ok, and to a degree glad he had fun. Music to my ears would have been, "once is enough".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,014 times
Well, I already posted my collecting hobby in the other thread....I've been diligently collecting shot glasses (anykind from anywhere) for the past 14 years. I'm an obsessive, hardcore reader. I can read anywhere, anytime, no matter what is going on around me (I've read while being on the phone...and yes, what I read gets absorbed). It is absolutely my "most favoritest" personal hobby. It's relaxing, educational and it forces you to use your own noggin for imagination and creativity. My "secret" dream is to one day own my own little bookstore in a quaint town somewhere in Maine. But I'm not really doing much about getting to that point, so....I also love outdoor stuff, hiking, picnicking, camping, fishing (and yes even hunting...deer and pheasant...though I've never actually caught anything myself when going with my dad...I always "assisted"....more like we just walked with shotguns and talked all day). I won an award and special patch in Girl Scouts for Archery (bow and arrows)....I love that too. I like to cook and bake and most importantly spend time with and enjoy my family (they're a blast!!!)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:03 AM

2,224 posts, read 772,270 times
Im also a big reader. Working my way through my list of 100 books I want to read be fore I die. I'm also into quilting and making thinks with polymer clay. My biggest hobby is building and decorating dollhouses. With working lights, crown moulding...all that good stuff! My dining room isn't really a dining room - it's my craft room

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I do photography, it's a hobby that I'm working toward making a business out of. It's a slow process. But I love taking pictures. Lately it seems this forum is my number #1 hobby

Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
The wife and I: Taking photos/video, boating/tubing,fishing, playing poker (fake money) on the Internet and just doing computer stuff. We were really never into wintertime stuff and that is now one reason why we are going to move from Colorado to North Carolina.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:18 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,370,228 times
The wife and I: Taking photos/video, boating/tubing,fishing, playing poker (fake money) on the Internet and just doing computer stuff. And, we also enjoy shooting our rifles. We were really never into wintertime stuff and that is now one reason why we are going to move from Colorado to North Carolina.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
For me my what I call my 'hobby' is what I'm really interested in and do as frequently as I can. I speak German pretty well, good enough that I joined two German chats and was made a moderator and what they call "operator" in two of them. It took a long time to develop it and my interest had been there since I took German first as a Freshman in high school. I learned slowly and it took years to climb the comprehension wall, but I finally knew I'd succeeded when I went to Germany in 2003 to stay with friends I'd met on-line who spoke no English. I stayed with them for over a week and blended into their lifestyle (which was going to bed at 5am and drinking more beer than humanly possible and smoking hand stuffed tobacco cigarettes!). My German was just fine and even they were surprised that I was so fluent. We had such a great time. The one thing I learned was that when I truly get drunk, my language cognition area of my brain flips off without warning. I was playing the German version of Sim City with my friend Wolfram after a long night of beer and suddenly I looked at him and all I heard was gutteral blah blah. He didn't get what happened and kept talking to me and I just couldn't understand a word. I went to bed and woke up with German ability again Then I explained to him what happened! I love the language, I love languages, especially Germanic languages (though I speak some French as well) and it fascinates me to be able to see how close English and German truly are. They superficially seem so different, but in actuality, they're almost twin brother languages. I love the English language and have studied it also all the way back to the Angles and Saxons with keen interest in Old English (Beowulf), and Middle English. Where English really diverged from what was in reality a remote German dialect of West German was when it chucked most inflections. I just find it fascinating. German kept the inflections. They're unbelievably similar..blew my mind. Anyway, that's my hobby

Old 11-06-2006, 11:52 AM

753 posts, read 758,896 times
Hi,

My preferred sedentary hobby is playing the bagpipes. Particularly the bellows pipes, Uilleann (Irish) and Northumbrian Smallpipes.

When I'm feeling active I like rock scrambling and kayaking.

One hobby I'd love to learn is cabinet/furniture making!

Old 11-06-2006, 01:48 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,169 times
I like to make music videos, I scrapbook, of course, I love my computers and I'm forever trying to learn new ways to use them. I bike ride, swim, work out with my weights-----did I mention I love my computers??

Old 11-06-2006, 03:19 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
I am a NASCAR junkie. I will watch not only the races, but practice and qualifing as well. This makes my husband annoyed, as he is not into racing AT ALL. He will go to the drag strip, but will not watch on TV.

I also like to bowl (not very good at it), go hiking/canoeing with my dog, and I am forever tweaking my website. I think I will never be happy with it.

F.F.H., I have always loved the bagpipes. I would love to learn to play one day. I think I will have to quit smoking first......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation