Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 11:18 AM
TCK

166 posts, read 564,227 times

Advertisements

After reading these posts and thinking about mine, I realize that I want to change my habits. I work two jobs. After each one, I would say that I come home and go into kitchen and eat. Then check email. Then lay down and try to take a nap. I used to turn on t.v. and channel surf (love that). However now I try to read (at least one book a week).

My crafts and being creative are always present and ongoing in my mind but must confess that early mornings (before 6 a.m.) and Sundays are my only times of rest and creativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,442,435 times
About 3 summers ago I began walking after work to lose some weight. On these walks along the rural backroads near my home i began to realize that people here have the bad habit of tossing thier beer/soda cans out of thier cars onto the ground. One day my wife complained mildly that we were having a hard time budgeting the long vacation we had been wanting to take. That made me realize how much $$ I was walking by in the form of those recyclable aluminum cans. I began taking a totesack with me on my walks and varying the roads I walked down and in 3 months time i picked up $2,200 worth of cans. My wife and I put that with the $ we had saved for vacation and ended up seeing Canada and the Pacific Northwest for a month! I still take my totesack and i have lost 50 lbs!! That is what I do aftwer work on most days!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM

16 posts, read 72,703 times
Free time, no such thing. I don't get paid to work. My family and I live on a farm. I move animals out in the morning to a different pasture, fill up water troughs, clean house, do laundry, collect eggs, feed animals, move them back to their pens they sleep in at night, Monday is Ballet after school, Tuesday is Tutorials and Drama practice, Wed is Basketball practice, Thurday is guitar lessons and drum lessons, Friday is un fry the brain. Saturday is repair fences and trim hooves and worm animals, oh yes, and I forgot about baseball. Tuesday and Sunday is baseball practice, and Thursday after lessons is Drama practice again, luckily that baby of mine just got her license (YESSSSS!!). Other than that, I do genealogical work on all lines of my family. I am lucky enough to have contact with several other relatives who also do work on various lines of my family history. I also like to play volleyball with a team at Aussies, and practice sports with my kiddos.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:07 PM

I would like to learn how to tie flys for my own use fishing and do that after work

Old 02-25-2008, 12:10 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,979,367 times
I take my 3 labs for a long (1hour) walk. After that, in the spring/summer/fall I'll sit outside enjoy a fine adult beverage and read or enjoy time with my wife. If I oversleep, I'll sneak in a workout as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:20 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,714,823 times
Fortunately I go to school right after work, so I am busy from 7am to 10pm. So I pretty much sleep. Otherwise, I'd have the nasty habit I once had of spending 6hours on the net, or possibly in front of the idiot tube. If I didn't go to college, I'd use the gym more and cook dinners, watch a bit of Glenn Beck or something and play with the cat and knock out.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Fortunately I go to school right after work, so I am busy from 7am to 10pm. So I pretty much sleep. Otherwise, I'd have the nasty habit I once had of spending 6hours on the net, or possibly in front of the idiot tube. If I didn't go to college, I'd use the gym more and cook dinners, watch a bit of Glenn Beck or something and play with the cat and knock out.
Glenn Beck? Bet you wont be voting for Obama!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,714,823 times
No way...Dr. RP

Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 PM
kte

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Wow! That sounds perfect to me...where do you live to do all this fun stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Weekdays:

When there's enough light/time left after work:
Surf, walk/jog with my spouse, take a walk downtown together and visit the thrift stores and coffee shops, take a picnic in a local park or out at the beach.

After dark:
Cook, wash dishes, do other chores, watch TV with my spouse, work out, play a game, complain about how short the day was. Plan for our world travel. Once a week or so, we go to a free movie screening together. That usually takes up most of the evening.

Weekends:
Sleep in. Cook a big breakfast. Visit the farmers market and wander around town on foot. Take a bike ride. Go to the movies. Go to a bar and listen to the band. Occasionally we'll drive in to the city to hit our favorite dance clubs together.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,551,846 times
Typically, I work out on the way home at a boxing gym. When I get home, I eat dinner and watch about an hour of tv. After that, I walk my dog. I may watch tv with some wine or do laundry and then go to bed.

Like sponger, if there are waves and enough daylight, that will trump the schedule outlined above. When the days are longer, I may take an evening boat ride with a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation