Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM

160 posts, read 773,112 times

Advertisements

Is anyone into sewing? My parents bought me a sewing machine for Christmas because they were sick of me borrowing my mothers (seeing we live in diff. states). I have a pair of pants I want to hem, but I've always done little projects - making curtains, pillows, things for the couches etc.. never pants. Anyone have any pointers or tips for me!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 PM

238 posts, read 821,945 times
I just bought a sewing machine. I can sew okay by hand but I've never really used a sewing machine. Hopefully I'm able to put it to good use.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 98,044 times
I have been sewing for over 40 years. I recommend you take sewing lessons. They are just about everywhere now, there is a resurgence. Check out your area, the sewing shops, the school systems' night classes, etc. Also, if you have cable TV, watch HGTV or DIY for the sewing shows. The internet has a lot - a lot of sewing helps and videos (have you checked You-Tube?). There are sewing books also. Find someone who knows how to sew and have them sit down with you and teach you to sew. I have given sewing lessons for free before to young college students who wanted to learn how to sew.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 PM

238 posts, read 821,945 times
I recently bought a sewing machine and love it! My house is now covered with pillows! Need to move on to other projects! Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 AM

22 posts, read 76,044 times
i've learnt to use my sewing maching by watching a programme on byu.tv...a prog called Martha's Sewing Room. She gives some good tips there....might be worth a glance?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:32 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,733,394 times
I sew historical clothing. Never done much pillows or quilts or anything though!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,014,112 times
Your about to become addicted

Keep plenty of thimbals around and get to know the parts of your sewing machine so you'll know how to replace broken or lost parts.

Other than that, have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfountaingrl View Post
Is anyone into sewing? My parents bought me a sewing machine for Christmas because they were sick of me borrowing my mothers (seeing we live in diff. states). I have a pair of pants I want to hem, but I've always done little projects - making curtains, pillows, things for the couches etc.. never pants. Anyone have any pointers or tips for me!

Thanks!!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,733,394 times
Thimbles? Wow, I haven't thought about them in decades. My great-aunt was the one who taught me how to sew (starting when I was about 5) and she always tried to get me to use one. I hated the darn things and she despaired of getting me to ever keep one on my finger.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,843,434 times
Oh, man, I love to sew! Have been at it for 33 years, since I was 13. I inherited a commercial Singer from my MIL, who was a professional seamtress, its like driving a Rolls.
I do a lot of window treatments and such for my clients, (cut out the middleman), and sew for myself and DD.
I recommend lessons, and invest in a good how-to book of techniques and definitions, have fun!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 21,884 times
I love sewing too! I sewed all my life it seems at a sewing factory and I'm still sewing at home too. I'm into quilting now. It is so much fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation