Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 PM

236 posts, read 258,757 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about sewing but I'm interested in learning more about it. First of all, I'd like to learn how to do simple things like hem pants or dresses. Would I need a sewing machine for that or could you just do it by hand?

Also, what kinds of things do you all sew? I like looking at fabrics but I'm not quite sure what I'd make with them, maybe pillowcases or a quilt?

Is this a relaxing hobby? I thought about trying knitting instead but it wouldn't make as much sense since I live in climate that's hot 9-10 months out of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 11:56 PM

37,094 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Hemming can be done by hand.

Quilting can be fairly simple or extremely complicated, depending on the pattern.

Depending on where you live there may be someone who can teach you how to use a sewing machine if you do not have a friend or relative who can do it. Some craft and fabric stores may offer classes.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+for+beginners

There are many other tutorials to learn any craft.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:47 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Sewing is a wonderful thing to learn. It's productive and can save you money for creating garments and for altering them. But it is something that is usually done in the home.

Knitting or crocheting are productive and the beauty is that they are usually portable and can be carried with you for times when you're waiting for something/someone. Doctor's office; airport; etc. If you live in a climate where it's hot for that many months of the year, most places will have a/c and it will be cool enough to handle your work. The advent of cotton yarn even means that you can knit/crochet garments that can be worn in that climate.

Learn to sew AND do needlework. Both are good to know and are rewarding.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:01 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,839,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
I don't know much about sewing but I'm interested in learning more about it. First of all, I'd like to learn how to do simple things like hem pants or dresses. Would I need a sewing machine for that or could you just do it by hand?

Also, what kinds of things do you all sew? I like looking at fabrics but I'm not quite sure what I'd make with them, maybe pillowcases or a quilt?

Is this a relaxing hobby? I thought about trying knitting instead but it wouldn't make as much sense since I live in climate that's hot 9-10 months out of the year.
Id learn some basic sewing by hand first. Buttons, stitches, etc. JoAnns, Hancock, places like that have classes. THEN id get a very basic machine and learn the basics on that. ( NOT all machines are created equal). Same places as above teach classes, even check your library, i had no idea ours had FREE machines you can use! You can buy a cheap machine at the goodwill, any big box store, craigslist. You just want one that works and does a straight stitch ( other features are nice but thats the basic youll need no matter what).

The machine can do more than your hands and faster but It doesnt mean youre more advanced. Plenty of people sew amazing things by hand.

Fabrics- start with basic cotton and go from there. You can get fabric at any of the stores above and check their clearance bins.

I have one machine- my grandmas 1950s Imperial, which needs serviced... I sew cloth menstrual pads, inserts for cloth diapers, clothes, pillows, blankets, etc.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Hemming can be done by hand.
Thanks, maybe I'll try hemming one of my jeans by hand...they're all a little too long.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Sewing is a wonderful thing to learn. It's productive and can save you money for creating garments and for altering them. But it is something that is usually done in the home.

Knitting or crocheting are productive and the beauty is that they are usually portable and can be carried with you for times when you're waiting for something/someone. Doctor's office; airport; etc. If you live in a climate where it's hot for that many months of the year, most places will have a/c and it will be cool enough to handle your work. The advent of cotton yarn even means that you can knit/crochet garments that can be worn in that climate.

Learn to sew AND do needlework. Both are good to know and are rewarding.
Honestly, I mostly just want to do something that relieves stress and it's really just a bonus if I make anything useful. It would be nice to be able to hem my pants on my own though in order to save time and money.

I've heard that knitting is relaxing and needlework is pretty so I'm leaning more towards learning those over sewing. Thanks for the info about the cotton yarn. Do you think knitting would be easier to learn than needlework?

Old 12-24-2016, 01:08 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,027,985 times
Other than the beginning and ending rows in knitting, which are casting on and casting or binding off, there are just two main stitches in knitting, those being knit and purl. It's what you do with those two stitches that makes the difference. It's not hard at all. Getting your tension consistent is harder than the actual process of knitting.

I assume you mean embroidery, cross stitch, or something of that nature when you refer to needlework. Both are more difficult than knitting. Honestly, knitting is very easy. Start with something simple like a knit scarf or cap and see if you like it. Buy a skein of yarn, a pair or Size 6 knitting needles, cast on about 80, and k1, p1 (which is knit 1, purl 1) over and over to the end of the row, turn and repeat. In no time, you'll have knitted something you can use for a hat or dishrag or whatever comes to mind. And by then, you'll know if you like it.

Or you could do what I did approximately 56 years ago (when I was about 16). I wanted a purple popcorn stitch sweater and had a girlfriend's mother teach me how to make it. I had no clue what I was doing and certainly didn't know I'd picked a difficult pattern for my first project. I wore that sweater for years and years. And I still knit to this day. I absolutely love knitting. I recommend starting with something less intricate than I did, or find yourself a very patient teacher.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:58 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nja2016 View Post
Honestly, I mostly just want to do something that relieves stress and it's really just a bonus if I make anything useful. It would be nice to be able to hem my pants on my own though in order to save time and money.

I've heard that knitting is relaxing and needlework is pretty so I'm leaning more towards learning those over sewing. Thanks for the info about the cotton yarn. Do you think knitting would be easier to learn than needlework?
It's hard for me to say. My mother taught me to knit when I was about 8, and I used to make quite a mess of my projects. It probably would have seemed easier had I been older. I don't knit much these days, but I have a few skeins of hand dyed, hand spun wool yarn that are calling to me.

She also taught me sewing basics, and I was lucky enough to go to a school which taught domestic science, aka home ec.

I found counted cross stitch quite easy. Embroidery, with all of the different stitches involved, seemed a chore to me. Latch hook (rugs) didn't hold my attention for long.

Knowing how to sew has saved me quite a bit of money. When you learn how to repair and hem, properly sew on a button, you'll never have pay for that service again. Planning a project is more fun. I've made curtains for the kitchen window, toss pillows for the couch, and countless other things. Clothing, too.

Try a few things and find something which suits you. Needle arts are relaxing because you become absorbed in the process.

Old 12-24-2016, 04:56 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,160 times
Chain fabric stores, sewing machine dealers and independently owned quilt and yarn shops all have info on classes and teachers. You should have no problem finding thevresources you are looking for.

Mae
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation