Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 09:10 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times

Advertisements

I didn't see much in regards to woodworking in the forum so thought I'd start a thread on it for those who are currently into it and those who are wanting to get in on it.

I grew up in a large woodworking shop with my father. At the time I seemed to hate doing this type of work because we built houses during the day and built cabinets and such at night. As I get older (mid 30's) I'm beginning to enjoy this type of work. I sit at a desk all day, so it's nice to get out in the evenings and weekends and create something.

I am in the process of turning my 24x25 detached garage into a woodshop. I'm on a fairly tight equipment budget, but to date I've gotten some great deals on some of the larger pieces I need. The wife wants new cabinets in the kitchen so I am going to dust off the old skills and build them for her. She has since added about 20 other projects to my list so it should keep me busy for quite some time.

I picked up a brand new 60 gallon compressor for $400 and my goal is to plumb the entire garage for air drop downs. I found a nice Craftsman 10" radial arm saw for $80 that works great and just picked up a Craftsman 10" hybrid cabinet saw last weekend (used once) for $400. The guy has every other piece I need in storage as well and is in the process of figuring out what he will sell it all to me for (bandsaw, planer, router table, clamp rack, etc...)

Eventually I'd like to get into some wood turning like my father is known for.

I also plan to pick up some older hand tools (planes, chisels, etc...) and restore those for use as well. Nothing like the old tools.

Who else enjoys woodworking? Have any of you built some of your own tools to help with your hobby? (router lifts, etc..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have some woodworking for years, and am a moderator for a large international woodworking forum. While I don't have a lathe for turning, I have access to one. My tools include a band saw, drill press, table saw, routers, reciprocating saw, *** saw, circular saw, Dremels, compound miter saw, chain saw, 3 compressors, several drills corded and cordless, belt and palm sanders, and a 12"x24" CO2 laser engraver/cutter that I use for marquetry. It's a very satisfying hobby. Some of my first work is still in my home, from the 1970s, such as a Redwood Burl table with stump base, and our first dining room table, that I since converted to a collapsible work table.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
At first I was hesitant about woodwork, mostly because of space and money. But I see guys with small basic table saws, drill press, etc doing lots of cool things. Problem I run into is that there isn't a used wood working market in my area, Pacific NW out of all places! I figured people would be wood working like crazy here. New equipment is scary for a beginner, maybe I buy the wrong machine, don't get a good value, I break it, etc

But yeah, been playing with some numbers. The equipment is fixed cost and don't cost much to maintain or to actually use(electricity bill). Wood isn't expensive considering what you can do with it. So if you do one or two big wood projects, you can save lots of money by doing it yourself. Depending on the equipment, I am guessing within 2-4 projects, you can save thousands on labor.

Last edited by peequi; 02-28-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-28-2017, 01:39 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
At first I was hesitant about woodwork, mostly because of space and money. But I see guys with small basic table saws, drill press, etc doing lots of cool things. Problem I run into is that there isn't a used wood working market in my area, Pacific NW out of all places! I figured people would be wood working like crazy here. New equipment is scary for a beginner, maybe I buy the wrong machine, don't get a good value, I break it, etc

But yeah, been playing with some numbers. The equipment is fixed cost and don't cost much to maintain or to actually use(electricity bill). Wood isn't expensive considering what you can do with it. So if you do one or two big wood projects, you can save lots of money by doing it yourself. Depending on the equipment, I am guessing within 2-4 projects, you can save thousands on labor.

Luckily in my area Craigslist has a lot of people selling woodworking tools if you are patient.

The radial arm saw is over $850 new. This particular model still sells for over $450 used on CL. I made a ridiculous offer of $85 and the seller took it because not that many people were interested and I had cash.

The Craftsman table saw is not your regular contractor (or jobsite) saw. It is a hybrid, belt driven cabinet saw that sold for over $1,000 new. I lucked up because this guy inherited all of these tools from a deceased relative and had no clue how to use them. The saw was used for one small project and still looks brand new. I paid $400 for it. The other equipment is in the same condition so I hope to get a similar deal on it.

I am paying $100 for an old Jet 6" cast iron jointer this weekend in great condition from a friend. He also offered me a Powermatic 14" bandsaw for another $100 that runs fine, but needs restoration. I passed on it simply because I don't have the time to fix it up. But it routinely goes for over $1,700 restored online.

All in all, my total setup cost should be less than $2,000 in tools to get started. I already had a collection of hand tools from my handyman work around the house. We were quoted over $6,000 to build the cabinets we want and material will cost me less than $1,700 (using my father's commercial account) to build them. At the end of the day I will come out over $2k cheaper for me to buy the tools and build them than to buy them already built. The plus side is that I can also complete other projects.

Eventually I will inherit over $100k in woodworking tools from my father but I really hope that isn't any time in the near future. He has a 30x50 cabinet shop packed with equipment from JET, Delta, and Shop Fox. He even has a CNC router to cut his door designs for him now.

I have learned from my father on how to buy the tools.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I am just getting into woodworking on a crafting level. I never owned a power tool - other than a cordless screwdriver - prior to last year, when I turned 60 years old!

I'm just having way too much fun. I live in a tiny studio apartment. I had a huge old dresser, and I added a back to it and top, turning it into a workbench. Added metal pegboards to it. Painted it red to match my decor. Added casters so I can easily move it if necessary. I just love it.

I am making signs out of old barn boards and cut up license plates mainly. I bought a bench shear for cutting up the plates, a drill press for drilling holes in the plates to attach them with screws. I have a couple drills (corded and cordless), a cute little mouse sander that I just love, electric screwdriver, and a Dremel Saw Max for cutting boards with.

I just love my Saw Max to pieces! If you just need to cut 3/4" or smaller boards, it's lightweight, easy to store and works great. I'm too afraid of circular saws. I fear cutting off my hand or something. But, the little Saw Max isn't heavy and I'm not afraid of it, and it works great.

Here's my workbench. I'm so proud of it! When I added the top, I just used "L" brackets to attach it to the plywood that is attached to the back of the dresser. The idea being that if I ever wanted to detach it from the dresser, it would be easy and not damage the dresser. It's a really cool old dresser, but not really in good shape. But, if I or anyone else ever wanted to restore it, this way that's still an option.

You can see my drill press, too. The board that's on top of the workbench was turned into a really fun sign with hooks that I use by my front door for my keys and bags, etc. The first pic is before I painted the top, second one shows it painted.

I'm hoping to actually learn how to make simple furniture, too. But, right now I'm making signs out of wood boards, and otherwise refinishing and painting small wood furniture pieces. Stuff I can work on in my tiny apartment.

http://prnt.sc/em458q

http://prntscr.com/em45l9

Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
I'm glad I did a search before starting a new thread. Let's revive this one and see if we can get some people to post up some of their woodworking projects. I just got into woodworking not that long ago so I'm still perfecting everything I do. Here are a couple of things I've done recently.

I present...CLINKO

Here are some new shelves that my wife wanted for her juice glass collection.

Not really woodworking, but cool nonetheless.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,375 times
^Cool stuff. Those shelves, although simple design(should be simple and not eye catching) really work well with the space. That is very creative and yet simple.

You guys see how those cabinets have space above? I see this is every house. Why don't wood workers do something with that area?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:34 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
^Cool stuff. Those shelves, although simple design(should be simple and not eye catching) really work well with the space. That is very creative and yet simple.

You guys see how those cabinets have space above? I see this is every house. Why don't wood workers do something with that area?
I do have a project to add crown molding up there.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 17,226,594 times
That Clinko is very clever.

I might have to make one for my uncle for his barn parties with his drunken friends.

I recently built 2 snow sheds for my garden railroad that I'm rather proud of.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:44 PM

760 posts, read 768,612 times
Not a hobby woodworker, it's my day job and has been the last 19 years.

Quote:
I found a nice Craftsman 10" radial arm saw for $80 that works great and
I am not a fan of Craftsman, less so now that Sears is basically going bankrupt and stores closing all over, that will mean parts and so on will become very difficult to come by.
The shop has a craftsman bandsaw bought around 2010, the rubber wheel protectors just had to be replaced when one of them literally just fell into pieces, those 2 little strips of rubber cost over $73.

The built-in power on/off switch went bad last year, we discovered that part is no longer available, discontinued! Since the tools all have to meet OSHA, insurance and all that stuff, you can't just put a light switch on it in a commercial setting.

Be real carefull with radial arm saws, they are considered THE most dangerous stationary power tool in the wood shop, I never liked how they can grab or jam suddenly or shoot forward at you.

A heavy duty commercial style Delta drill press we bought also around 2010 had the quill's return clock spring break, real common on drill presses- we discovered that part is already discontinued! A similar supposed fit spring was way too strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation