Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 10:01 PM

11,935 posts, read 8,260,020 times

Advertisements

denimflyz, I checked to see if your design site is up yet. I'll try to keep remembering to look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 02:24 AM

6,043 posts, read 4,404,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Oh dear. I don't think that makes you a fraud. There are many people who can't do that at all. There are all kinds of clever things you can do with inexpensive garments to create an item that is unique.

What I meant about sewing things for myself that are nearly unwearable is that I'll be attracted to a special piece of cloth or a method or some really wonderful notions on sale and I'll sew something for myself that's pretty unrealistic for the kind of lifestyle I live. Perhaps a multi-layer skirt of various velvets and shimmering lace. Or a quilted Western jacket with ultra-suede fringe, silver buttons and embroidery. Or a sun dress layered with ribbon and crochet lace all in white.

They are very pretty things and I am enchanted to sew them but once I am done I think I really don't have anywhere to wear them. They are more suitable as works of art than as garments. Or I need to live in an artist's commune.

I often think it would be fun to volunteer for the local community theater so I could sew these fantasy costumes with feathers and capes, masks and bodices and have people see them. The one thing that keeps me from doing that is knowing how that really works - you end up having to turn out thirty children's identical red, white and green cotton surplices before Christmas!
Today, in my small town of population 900, I wore a coat I made at F.I.T. in my Ladies' Tailoring IV class. I thought for a minute who was going to notice or care and I decided it didn't matter. You should wear the wearable works of art and sell the others on Etsy. Wear them if you like them. I'm going to wear mine.

I did learn it was no good wearing my wolf hat outside the craft fair where the H bought it for me. It was outdoors in winter and my ears were burning off with the cold and he said pick a hat and I'll buy you one, so being the mature adult I am (not) I said I want the gray wolf with the white felt teeth that looks like it's eating my head when I put it on. At least 15 different people stopped us to ask where we got it and remark how wonderful it was, but I found that in most other venues, people looked a lot more like they felt sorry for me.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 AM

50,058 posts, read 63,405,659 times
My dachshund, Freddie, is very particular about going outside if it is raining or cold. It is both of those things now.
So I decided my next little project will be a raincoat with a fleece lining. A free pattern is available online, but I’m pretty sure I can just create one myself.
Still knitting the Martha Stewart Poncho.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:50 PM

As long as you promise us a picture of Freddie in his poncho.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
As long as you promise us a picture of Freddie in his poncho.
I cannot tell a lie...I went to Hobby Lobby on Sunday to get the fabric, but they were closed. I went next door to Home Goods and, low and behold, they had a quilted, waterproof dog coat ( complete with fur trimmed hood) for $12.95. I could never have gotten out of Hobby Lobby for $13, so I won’t be making one now.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Hobby Lobby exists in God's Country and will never be open on a Sunday.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Hobby Lobby exists in God's Country and will never be open on a Sunday.
Ya know, I knew that, but I had a coupon from the paper that listed something about Sunday on it, so I thought...hmmm, maybe they changed their policy. Nope.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:38 PM

4,596 posts, read 3,252,232 times
Nope. Hobby Lobby is one of those "Never on Sunday" type places.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:06 PM

6,408 posts, read 7,614,415 times
Quote:
Today, in my small town of population 900, I wore a coat I made at F.I.T. in my Ladies' Tailoring IV class. I thought for a minute who was going to notice or care and I decided it didn't matter. You should wear the wearable works of art and sell the others on Etsy. Wear them if you like them. I'm going to wear mine.

I did learn it was no good wearing my wolf hat outside the craft fair where the H bought it for me. It was outdoors in winter and my ears were burning off with the cold and he said pick a hat and I'll buy you one, so being the mature adult I am (not) I said I want the gray wolf with the white felt teeth that looks like it's eating my head when I put it on. At least 15 different people stopped us to ask where we got it and remark how wonderful it was, but I found that in most other venues, people looked a lot more like they felt sorry for me.
Post a photo, please!!!

Old 12-14-2017, 06:17 PM

115 posts, read 203,380 times
LodeStar
There was a change in the website address. It's www.Denimflyz.com
Some how what I wanted was taken. Not too happy about it. Anyway, it's up and running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation