U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:28 PM

892 posts, read 409,770 times

Advertisements

my Mom taught me knitting and embroidery. still a great 'pick me up' today : )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 PM

34 posts, read 19,502 times
from my earliest memories, age 5 or younger, I"ve loved shooting and hunting. At first it was hunting, then plinking, then "combat" style shooting matches. I've never tired of any of it, altho I do shift my focus around fairly often.

Old 04-05-2021, 09:29 PM

45,763 posts, read 30,631,849 times
I took up photography when my late husband wanted to go all around the desert to look at ghost towns, which I find mostly boring. Taking pictures gave me something to do, and I love editing in PS and LR.

I took up crochet when my current husband had his pelvic area injured, and couldn't move around much.

I took up quilting when I took classes for sewing, and quilting is on the easy side and you end up with something neat. I would like to make clothes in the future.

I took up vegetable gardening when we moved to a larger property that had a greenhouse, and the pandemic struck.

Cooking I've always done, I love all kinds of food and enjoy learning how to cook them, how flavors go together and all that.

I pretty much rotate between all of those. I tried knitting (I like the weave better) and hate it, though I may try again sometime.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-07-2021, 02:05 PM

9,386 posts, read 5,205,410 times
Mom taught me to sew, beginning when I was about five. Back then, it was cheaper to make your own clothes. Now I'm a refashionista, recycling old clothes into new styles.

I majored in technical and design theater, and got into making dolls (tiny costumes) and, later, scale miniatures (itsy bitsy sets).

I had a lot of doctors appointments a few years ago, and looked around for something to do in waiting rooms. That's when I took up embroidery.

I got a 3D printer and learned to design for it so I could make miniature furniture. I also use it to make sewing tools and frames for embroidery.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:47 PM

7,060 posts, read 3,622,278 times
I've always been interested in mechanical things since I was a kid. It's always been cars, trucks and guns for me.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 PM

22,262 posts, read 65,553,443 times
I'm glad the thread got revived.

I once was a professional photographer, because the whole process interested me so much. Back then, you didn't photograph unless you had money to burn, but then I was gifted an Agfa Paramat half-frame 35mm camera that I could shoot to my heart's content for pennies, using B&W film, and then print only what I liked in a darkroom. That led to better skills and a job at a TV station. I did a couple weddings, but was bored. These days, I recognize that many are better natural photographers than I ever was, so I just take snapshots, record shots, and the like.

In high school, I was lead trumpet in the band, and after seeing me at a jazz club (I was under-aged and quietly sipping a beer enjoying the music) my music teacher had me conduct the school band from time to time. I also played stand-up bass and a bass guitar in a not so good couple of groups. Again, I realized that many people were more talented than me.

I dabbled in oils and painting, but just never got to where it was compelling. Tried watercolor, can do a fair Japanese style painting or ink painting, but again many are much better.

Got into computer programming, but became so good at it that it turned from hobby to a well paying business for me. Today, I mostly grumble about programmers p*ssing on the code, and remembering when it was exciting.

Tried gardening, had very successful gardens both in Vermont and Alabama, not so much in Florida, where fruit trees were the main success. Recognized that it is now a hobby where the $$$ seekers have invaded the supply chain. $3 for a pack of seeds that weigh a tenth of a gram? Drug dealers are less rapacious.

As a kid, I was into model trains. Getting older, I recognized that they were a form of Jungian play therapy that I no longer needed. I admire the work of others, but have little interest in it anymore as a personal hobby.

I can both sew and shoot, both decently, both those are just side play. I don't have a need to "prove" myself to anyone or get accolades for what I do. My main interest for years has been in my own personal development and improving my communication and understanding of others and life. That can be hard work - VERY hard work at times.

For me, hobbies are transient interests in search of more advanced goals. They help understand stuff on various levels. My interest in model railroads helped me understand steam power and the whole need for transport for various businesses and people. It also helped me understand timetables and cost efficiencies. Photography allowed me to "see" the various patterns that we see as pleasing and harmonious. Music trained me to other harmonies. Computers showed me logic and the pure engineering that is needed in a sane program.

Hobbies are fantastic, and an extension of the play we had as kids. Becoming interested in one is great. Having learned what it offers to you and moving on to a new one is also great. Life would be utterly boring without them.

I'm sure I will find new hobbies, and I hope that others will as well.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:14 PM

10,706 posts, read 6,871,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
My hobby is boating. When a friend asked how I managed to get the wife to agree to such a big boat, I told him it was easy. Just start out telling her you want an airplane.
I am buying an airplane and I don’t have to have anybody’s permission.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:04 PM

4,202 posts, read 1,920,520 times
I like to do outdoor things so there are plenty of subjects that interest me.

I keep a garden, raise bees and do all the water things.

I also like to build things.

My attention disorder is a curse.

Old 06-15-2022, 11:29 AM

8,643 posts, read 19,199,513 times
Professional Rodeo (PRCA): At one time it was a hobby, but now wife and I are just serious fans.
After going to my first rodeo in 1984, I was 100% hooked. A Saddle Bronc Rider friend showed me how to handle a rope (for a loop, swing and deliver to a dummy steer head on a bale of hay). After that, bought a horse/tack/ropes, went to a Roping School and bought my PRCA Permit. This was a "weekend fun/hobby" only, being that I had a good paying job during the week working for a electronics manufacturer. Some 15 years later, sold the horse/saddle and tack. But, it was nice to be good enough to possibly win some money and a nice buckle!

When I met my wife in 2000, I was very surprised at how interested she was in rodeo. Now, today/2022, we follow the Top 15 all of the time and watch plenty of rodeo on the Cowboy Channel on our Roku device. We have met quite a number of World Champions!

Power Boating: When I was in high school, my Uncle had a ski boat. Me and my cousins would go out with him on Sunday to local reservoir. Then, after joining the Navy in 1968, after H.S. graduation, I learned even more about boats. Come to find out, after meeting my wife, her family owned a ski boat and cottage on a lake in Michigan. So, we wound up buying our first boat, a 1989 Invader Bowrider in 2004. Hit the locals lakes south of Denver, CO almost every weekend during the summer.
In 2008 sold the Bowrider. In April 2009, bought a 1992 20 foot Celebrity 200 Cuddy Cabin, that we still have and use.

Fishing: Love Rainbow Trout fishing in local Colorado lakes. Boat, 3 rods/reels, rod/reel holders on boat and plenty of fishing tackle.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,528 posts, read 72,348,287 times
I have many but will try to answer:

Bonsai - I happened to watch a TV show on PBS with a guy who was doing Bonsai in Florida with tropical trees, and decided to try it. I have about 50 trees now.

Stained Glass- Back in the late 1970s I saw that there was a class offered at our local city event center, took one and was hooked.

Woodworking - I did summer work for my uncle who was a carpenter, and loved the smell of sawdust, and being creative decided to try making furniture. Since then I have bought just about every possible tool for woodworking including a CNC Laser.

Cars - Since I bought my first car at age 14 for $30 I learned to take care of them, got tools, and did tune-ups, brakes, even engine swaps over the years until the computer/fuel injection era. I have restored a 1963 Ranchero, a 1972 El Camino, and now working on my 1974 Nova.

Gardening - as a kid I was given the chore of planting and watering the vegetable garden in our 1/2 acre yard, and it turned out that I enjoyed it, so have been gardening to some extent ever since.

Home remodel/renovation - Since buying our first house, a fixer upper, I have done a lot of work from painting to drywall, window replacements, doing plumbing and wiring, stucco work, building decks, and roofing. Some of it was learned from my Uncle, the rest on my own. It saves a lot of money over the years, but I also find it fun, but wouldn't want to do it for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation