U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 09:03 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,487,290 times

Advertisements

I have a pattern for linen sheets and pillowcases. I downloaded it after getting disgusted looking for an affordable set of sheets that aren't awful. I doubt I'll ever be able to find a good enough sale on linen to actually make them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 02:34 PM

10,243 posts, read 15,976,201 times
I know this thread is several months old but had to add to it. My wife has started back on her counted cross stitch again. She sewed for years then stopped because of carpal tunnel. Had the surgery to repair that, then with some harassing from me to start it again, she finally did last fall and said she's sorry she didn't start back sooner.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:49 PM

9,383 posts, read 5,203,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have a pattern for linen sheets and pillowcases. I downloaded it after getting disgusted looking for an affordable set of sheets that aren't awful. I doubt I'll ever be able to find a good enough sale on linen to actually make them.
I learned to sew partly because back in the '60s through '80s, it was cheaper to make your own clothes than buy off the rack.

Now, with so much offshore sewing and manufacturing, I can buy a finished shirt cheaper than the fabric to make one.

But I still sew, because I love to design, and at least some of my work is better quality than mass produced.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I learned to sew partly because back in the '60s through '80s, it was cheaper to make your own clothes than buy off the rack.

Now, with so much offshore sewing and manufacturing, I can buy a finished shirt cheaper than the fabric to make one.

But I still sew, because I love to design, and at least some of my work is better quality than mass produced.

I learned to sew because I knew I could do at least as well as what I saw in the store, but have no head for design. You and I should get together; we could get something started. Oh, and after working for a few men's tailors, I can tell you your work is way better quality than most of the mass produced stuff out there.

Old 03-28-2021, 07:58 AM

22,482 posts, read 30,037,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Right now I'm decorating a pair of inexpensive swim suit separates. You can get mismatched pieces on sale online frequently.

The top is black and the skirt is a side slit magenta one.

I ordered a black and gold neckline applique for the neckline of the top and some cat's-eye magenta "pearl" beads to decorate it with.

When I am finished I hope to have a unique suit to wear on the beach for half the price.

I'll be wearing it in a couple of weeks and if I remember I'll come back and show a picture of the finished project.

Just wanted to add that when I was in high school I hated, really hated, the home-ec sewing class. I don't get along with machines very well and my unit project was so poorly done that my mother had to have it remade before I could wear it.

I thought that was the end of me and sewing machines. But we were poor as church mice when we married and our fifth Christmas my DH bought me a sewing machine for a gift. I didn't say a word how I felt about that but I was not happy.

We had a baby girl, though, and I began to reteach myself on small projects for her. Eventually I was staying home taking care of two children and sewing for other people to earn a little money. Word spread and with all that business, while I didn't make much money compared to the hours spent, I was getting a lot of practice working on all kinds of materials and patterns. And I could be with my children. Although trying to sew with two toddlers around is another story altogether.

Soon I was making nearly all of our family's clothing. After a period around middle school when the kids were ashamed to be wearing homemade clothing later in high school I was designing custom made "cool" clothes for them and soon was sewing for all their friends.

Now I do some volunteer work for nursing homes and mostly "dress up" premade items or do little home decorating projects just for my amusement.

And after that decades-long history I just wanted to say what a gift it has been to learn how to sew. i wonder how many long hours I've spent anticipating the final results and feeling occupied, constructive and useful because of that unwanted sewing machine. (I'm on my third one now.)

Funny how things turn out sometimes way different than we expect. I am sure my sister seamstresses from the past and all around the world must feel the same satisfaction and it gives me a sense of connectedness with history and all who love the fabric arts.

I had sewing in the 8th grade for a few weeks. They had us do all of the shops during the school year. I can't recall if I also took a year of sewing.

The way I started was my biker BF at the time (1988) wanted leather chaps but didn't want to spend the money on them so he said that he bet I could do it, and I did. We'd go to NY to buy leather. I made myself a black leather vest that had white and black snake skin details on the pockets. I still have it. It has rose buttons. I made my son a vest and hat. I also made myself leather pants that zippered in the back, they're lined, I still have them and fit into them.

I was very into dolls, still am. I got a doll reader magazine that used to have patterns for cloth dolls. I decided to make one (really 3 of the same) to give my friends daughter who was having heart surgery at age 3. I put a satin heart on the doll. I also put a note inside her. I sent my story to the magazine, they did an article about it. My mother who couldn't sew or cook told me "eh, it's ok", like she could do better... I friended the girl on Facebook, she doesn't know what happened to the doll. Her mother died 12 years ago. I told her to ask her father, I'm not sure she did. She enjoyed seeing the doll magazine with our story.

I then had my daughter so started making baby stuff, a comforter with a gathered detail on the face and a ruffle on it. I then made comforters for everyone, even the neighbors kids which are still around from the early 90's. I used to buy sheets on sale at Caldors.

I continued making cloth dolls until 1999. I also made holiday Barbies one year because Mattel didn't put them out that year. The girls I gave them to still have them. I stopped sewing about 15 years ago after hurting my back plus my house now isn't a good house to sew in because I have to go upstairs to get my sewing tackle box; have to carry my machine and serger which is hard on my back. In the old house I had it in the dining room cabinet, would sew on the dining room table. Here I have to put everything away each time.

I want to make some masks but haven't jumped in because my grandson doesn't go out much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

It sure was cheaper to sew it then buy it, especially with the rag shop in business with their sales.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:26 AM

46,365 posts, read 57,771,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Linen is undoubtedly my most favorite fabric.
How dreamy to be sewing a linen dress. That's one lucky daughter and one special mama.
Are you familiar with FS, (that's fabric-store dot com)? Beautiful, beautiful linens.
I have purchased from them a few times but I love the linen so much I'm reluctant to cut it.
Isn't that silly?!

How's that children's quilt coming along?
I just checked out this website. Thanks for posting it. I printed a free blouse pattern and ordered some linen. I haven’t sewn any clothing for a long time, but I’ve been wanting to get back to it. If it goes well, I’ll make a dress next time.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:28 AM

46,365 posts, read 57,771,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I know this thread is several months old but had to add to it. My wife has started back on her counted cross stitch again. She sewed for years then stopped because of carpal tunnel. Had the surgery to repair that, then with some harassing from me to start it again, she finally did last fall and said she's sorry she didn't start back sooner.
I have a half done crewel embroidery pillow cover, I’m getting back to. My old eyes can’t do counted cross stitch anymore, but I did a lot of it years ago.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:19 PM

9,443 posts, read 5,333,242 times
I have a sloped fireplace surround that has a hanging for tapestries. Buying them is expensive, so I get fun fabric and make my own. I am waiting for some new fabric to come so I can get a more springy pattern.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just checked out this website. Thanks for posting it. I printed a free blouse pattern and ordered some linen. I haven’t sewn any clothing for a long time, but I’ve been wanting to get back to it. If it goes well, I’ll make a dress next time.
Please let me know how it goes. I have a pattern from them for a linen tee - and I'd love one in denim if the pattern allowed it to go on and off easily.

I've bought linen from that site and it was nice to work with and a lovely color. I made a dress for a relative to wear to an outdoor summer wedding and she was very happy with it (the pattern was Vogue, so need you to tell me how their own patterns work out).

Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 PM

117 posts, read 55,523 times
Horse fly masks, the fly season is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation