Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 02:22 PM

261 posts, read 189,407 times

Advertisements

I've fished since I was 4 years old. Was given an old 9' split bamboo fly rod by my Grandad that I caught my first fish with. (that same fly rod only rigged similar to a bamboo pole) Caught a bluegill about 6 to 7 inches long. Still have the photo of it somewhere holding that pole. The pole and reel was made somewhere in the late 20's. Even have my Great Grandad's salt water bamboo pole but no reel for it.

I used to buy supplies to tie flies with from Herter's of Waseka, MN. Cabela's owns that now. Still have a couple of their old catalogs though.

As I live a hour's drive from some mountain streams so whenever I can get a line in the water, that's where I go.

One of the things I do when fishing with minnows for crappie, I collect a lot of red onion skins. (dry) and put them in cheese cloth and put that into the minnow bucket. The minnows take on a gold tone that gets more hits.

When I took a date fishing I'd go to the grocery store the day before and get a big can of dog food. (Liver flavor if I could find it) Then I'd take a hatchet and knock slotted holes in the can and throw it into the water near where I intended to fish. I want her to have a chance to catch fish the next day and feel like she had a great time. Mostly did catch and release. So no guilt. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 03:23 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
In my much much younger years, I used to ride my bike across town, about 2 miles, to fish at the country club lakes here. I fished with just about everything! Caught a 2 lb. bass on bologna! My dad showed me how to clean them, never heard of filleting at that time and still don't like to fillet. I end up with fish chunks. lol Anyway, I'd bring the fish home clean them and put them in bread bags my mother saved for everything under the sun. When I had 3 bags or so filled, my dad would set the Coleman stove up in the back yard, so the smell of fish wouldn't be all over the kitchen, and cook up all the fish and some hush puppies. Always a good meal sitting out on our screened porch.
My dad said you always know when the fish is cooked right when you can pull the meat off the bones all in one piece.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
To answer the question, yes, I am in to fishing. I want to become proficient in fly fishing.

Old 11-25-2020, 11:45 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
I fishing on the feeder and spinning.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:38 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Me

Old 12-14-2020, 09:48 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
I developed greater interest in it as I got older actually.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:22 PM

85 posts, read 57,412 times
Always been a saltwater guy!

Old 01-28-2021, 10:59 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Have always been into fishing. After a decade surf fishing along the Chesapeake Bay and the Outer Banks I took up offshore charter fishing as a career. Over 25 years of that from charter to private/tournament/extensive travel back to charter I gave that up full time as that's a young mans game. Now I have my own little center console I take clients on in our back bays and along the coast.

And I still enjoy it that I will go out fun fishing if it looks like it'll be good, even after running a couple trips in a day!

Old 01-29-2021, 08:46 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Have always been into fishing. After a decade surf fishing along the Chesapeake Bay and the Outer Banks I took up offshore charter fishing as a career. Over 25 years of that from charter to private/tournament/extensive travel back to charter I gave that up full time as that's a young mans game. Now I have my own little center console I take clients on in our back bays and along the coast.

And I still enjoy it that I will go out fun fishing if it looks like it'll be good, even after running a couple trips in a day!
I grew up around College Park MD and one thing I surely miss is fishing and crabbing the Chesapeake Bay. I'll be lucky if I can get out to the Pacific coast every few years for my saltwater fix.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:18 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I am the human fish repellant. The only time I have success is at a friend's lake house where we really dedicate ourselves. I have caught salmon and halibut in Alaska but I agree, a top water lure at sunset for bass on a summer evening is about as good as it gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation