Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 03:16 PM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eula88 View Post
My husband loves fishing and I'm thinking about trying it. I guess it would be a good way to spend time together. How many of you go fishing with your spouses? Do you like it?
Well, in our marriage of 21 years, we do darn near everything together. Our 20 foot powerboat doesn't hit the water unless both of us are there. I have to bait the hook, but she will have the net and haul a Rainbow Trout in. We go on local lake, but haven't been able to so far this summer. However, fishing licenses, rods/reels and tackle are read for the boat. We love it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:24 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times
I have always liked to fish.
I retired not that long ago to an area where I didn’t know that many people so I joined a fishing club and made a few new friends.
We go clamming, crabbing and fishing.
Tomorrow 3 of us are going crabbing and I’m going to cook us up some smash burgers.
Life is good.

Old 07-28-2022, 08:01 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
When she was able to get out and go with me, I enjoyed having her out there...even if she did catch more. lol What's good in Kentucky, if you're a resident, you can buy a joint/spouses license for $42. That's only saving $4 over buying the two license but every little bit helps. But now that I can get my senior license. For $12, the senior license covers combo hunting/fishing,
2 deer permits, spring and fall turkey permits, Kentucky migratory bird/waterfowl permit and trout permit.

Old 08-19-2022, 04:01 AM

10 posts, read 9,653 times
Nice. I go fishing in my free time. But only get small fishes.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:44 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Likewise since in so. Cal coastal...go for tuna and mostly yellowtail on cattle boats. Mostly catch and release surf perch, corbina, and baby leopard sharks from shore while surffishing. Is that an Oscar in the 3rd pic on first post? Looks like it!
Got my first 2 So. California Dorado (mahi mahi) last week on a packed 3/4 day cattle boat...was on standby and barely made it on there. Complete pandemonium when they start biting! Usually you have to go to Cabo to get them but they are now here! Thanks to the Captain for gaffing this one (almost lost to tangles end of fight) and taking the picture!Click image for larger version

Name:	20220830_122037.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	722.0 KB
ID:	239226

Last edited by Fisherman99; 09-09-2022 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-09-2022, 10:37 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Got my first 2 So. California Dorado (mahi mahi) last week on a packed 3/4 day cattle boat...was on standby and barely made it on there. Complete pandemonium when they start biting! Usually you have to go to Cabo to get them, but they are now here! Thanks to the Captain for gaffing this one (almost lost to tangles end of fight) and taking the picture!Attachment 239226
Those Dolphin can put up quite a show and wreck the pit when brought on board. Several seasons mating on a charter boat out of Hatteras, NC in the 90's gave me my fill of them. No place else in my 25 year offshore career have I seen so many as we had there. Anything from "bailers" of a couple pounds to the big bulls pushing 70 that would wreck the cockpit if given the opportunity. Thank God for extra-large transom boxes to dump them in and close em up and then have one of the charter sit on it for a bit!

Old 09-10-2022, 09:03 AM

1,137 posts, read 614,378 times
Quote:
Got my first 2 So. California Dorado (mahi mahi) last week on a packed 3/4 day cattle boat...was on standby and barely made it on there. Complete pandemonium when they start biting! Usually you have to go to Cabo to get them but they are now here! Thanks to the Captain for gaffing this one (almost lost to tangles end of fight) and taking the picture!Attachment 239226
Nice! I heard that they are great fighters and taste amazing.

I have never had the pleasure of fishing saltwater... I have only done freshwater lakes, rivers.

Exotic fish like that and tuna are on my bucket list.

Good stuff! Congrats

Old 09-10-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Those Dolphin can put up quite a show and wreck the pit when brought on board. Several seasons mating on a charter boat out of Hatteras, NC in the 90's gave me my fill of them. No place else in my 25 year offshore career have I seen so many as we had there. Anything from "bailers" of a couple pounds to the big bulls pushing 70 that would wreck the cockpit if given the opportunity. Thank God for extra-large transom boxes to dump them in and close em up and then have one of the charter sit on it for a bit!
You definitely have to club the big ones on a small boat...it is either you or the fish there. We got about 50 fish (on a packed boat of 50 people) on this 3/4 day trip...pandemonium out there!

Old 09-10-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Nice! I heard that they are great fighters and taste amazing.

I have never had the pleasure of fishing saltwater... I have only done freshwater lakes, rivers.

Exotic fish like that and tuna are on my bucket list.

Good stuff! Congrats
Thanks...great runs and it leaped out of the water like a marlin when hooked...was lucky to get a few!

Old 11-05-2022, 04:24 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
I just wrapped up a trip to fish the Florida Everglades and the canal system in Dade & Broward counties. Peacock bass, gar and oscars were what I ended up catching. I also did a saltwater charter but it didn't yield many fish.

Those peacock bass are incredible fighters. The same with the oscars. Both species will test your tackle to its' limits.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation