U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 10:40 PM

125 posts, read 70,731 times

Advertisements

Any hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, general outdoor folks here?

Just curious, where is everyone's favorite place to recreate outdoors? Favorite state or country?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 08:21 AM

3,888 posts, read 1,969,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy02 View Post

Just curious, where is everyone's favorite place to recreate outdoors? Favorite state or country?
West Virginia with my own state of Pennsylvania as a very close second neck and neck with my home state of Ohio.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:24 PM

5,882 posts, read 3,033,258 times
Colorado and Virginia, in that order for the summer and the opposite for the winter months!

Old 07-17-2022, 11:10 AM

27,136 posts, read 14,410,417 times
add another vote for PA

Old 07-17-2022, 03:50 PM

10,256 posts, read 15,999,296 times
The Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western Kentucky, is 170,000 acres of hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, camping, 4 wheeling, boating, and probably a few other things. The LBL is located between 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake (largest man made lake, by acreage, east of the Mississippi River) and Lake Barkley. And this is with no houses, businesses or anything. Just trees and fields. I have camped there since I was a little youngster many many moons ago. I go over quite a bit to go fishing. My problem is I do a whole lot more fishing than catching! lol Lots of bass, catfish, crappie, bluegill, red eye, and more. For hiking and biking, there are over 100 miles of trails. There's an elk and bison range where the animals are free range and you can drive through the area for $5/carload. In the southern part, in Tennessee, you can walk through an 1850s homesite. I could carry on but I do that too much when I talk about western Kentucky. lol I live in the center part of Kentucky that's west of the lakes. I'm about 25 miles from the Ohio River (at Paducah, Ky.), about 30 miles from the Mississippi River, and 20 to Kentucky Lake.
I'm posting the web site about the LBL and I'll add a couple extra things to see. Wherever you end up going in the US, have a safe trip and have fun!

https://landbetweenthelakes.us/
https://www.kentuckylake.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Kentucky.html
https://www.metropolistourism.com/
https://www.supermanhomepage.com/sup...n-2022-videos/

I added Metropolis, Illinois for a tourist stop. City officials did a little checking several years ago and decided since this is the only "Metropolis" in the United States, they now claim to be the home of Superman! Huge statue of the Superman on the court square and a bronze statue of Lois Lane a few blocks away. When Superman died in the comics, the town held a funeral.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
31,507 posts, read 51,972,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy02 View Post

Colorado was pretty nice until ~1970, (we had bear, trout, bobcats, elk, deer all within sight of our house)...then CA and TX arrived into CO... and we then used WY, then ID and MT. Finally, to WA and OR

Today, it is probably Canada (BC) that is our favorite for variety of outdoor activities (Coastal to mtns) and NICE areas without too much people pressure. We lived on an island there for awhile, and in Mtns and Okanogan.

AK is pretty good for mid summers (Long days help)

Our summer abode in WA is 1 hr to yr round snow skiing, or volcano, or Mt Wilderness, or National Park, or Scenic Northern Oregon coast. 5 min to windsurfing, canoeing, Sturgeon or Salmon fishing, and Elk hunting, wild berries in back yard (and bear, cougar, deer, bigfoot and DB Cooper) . but... 200+ days drizzle / yr, for which I am grateful, but as an outdoors person I'm GONE during that season.

20 minutes to international airport is another plus, as I like recreating in southern hemisphere during NA winters.

CA still has some amazing outdoor recreation.

UT National parks are great in shoulder season.

Winters in USA can be nice for outdoor recreation in TX, NM, AZ and CA. I rode ADV bikes 12,000 miles of dirt roads last winter.

East of Miss river... I find NE TN, WV, and Northern GA accommodating.
Maine has a lot of open space and a variety of activities.
NB is my favorite eastern province. Thought HS is nice too

Northern NY (Lake PLacid and Thousand Islands

UP Michigan and NE WI... Lots of nice places, but narrow window to visit and enjoy. Between frost and mosquitoes.

As mentioned,... Canada is the 'current best retreat' for outdoors in NA. Temporarily.

Old 07-17-2022, 10:51 PM

1,529 posts, read 986,235 times
Western Wyoming. We have hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, water sports and more! Beautiful mountains, great summer weather, a nice breeze comes in every night. It's pretty much heaven.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:33 AM

328 posts, read 237,068 times
In just about any state you can find something nice outdoors.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:03 AM

7,248 posts, read 3,206,802 times
I lived in Vail, CO for a number of years, but skiing was all I did there. I'm certain I missed other outstanding outdoor opportunities.

I lived in CA for many years, too, but only went to the beach when I need outside time. We lived on a lake (which eventually dried up) in the country, so, like my current situation, we were kind of on vacation when we were home.

I live in VT now and there are many opportunities for outdoor rec. Hiking, walking, biking, boating, fishing, skiing (and other winter sports). Except for the politics, it's almost heaven.

I will say, though, that after visiting Wyoming, I thought that would be an ideal place for outdoor activities. Everything there is HUGE......compared to here where everything is small and close together.

Rodolfo is right, though. Almost everywhere has places of beauty outdoors.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:17 AM

2,449 posts, read 1,019,751 times
New Hampshire, hands down. I live here. Mountains great for skiing, Nordic or Alpine. Spectacular foliage in fall, many many rivers for hydroelectric power. Speaking of power, there's several wind farms operating here. We've got Atlantic beaches too. There's good performing arts but this ain't broadway. At least local theater is better than no theater. I'd like to believe our maple syrup is better than Vermont's. Oh, nearly forgot, There's no sales tax and no income tax

Moving here is like giving yourself a 15% raise.

Live free or die !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation