U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 01:55 AM

22,486 posts, read 30,043,654 times

Advertisements

Is there only one arm broken? I'm just waking up.

Pretty lamp and shade. You won't be able to replace either, or may not be able to. Look on ebay to see if there are any available before you touch it.

I personally would use the lamp the way it was if it is only one broken arm. No one is going to see it. I do know how to solder, it is not hard. If you are a handy person, there's no reason you couldn't do it. You hold the solder iron to the broken piece, touch the solder wire to the tip of the iron, it melts on.

Others mentioned various glues that may work. You may also be able to use floral wire or a bread tie to tie it back together.

Just be very careful what fix you do since you probably can't replace that lampshade that makes the lamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
How about cutting the one remaining "spoke" out, buy one of these rings, and just use tiny pieces of wire to loop the old ring to the new? (like sewing, but with wire instead of thread)

https://www.amazon.com/Lamp-Shade-Ri...c-891e95133f20

Nice find. This is a good alternative if she is not going to damage the lamp shade getting the old ring off.

I have one damaged lamp shade where the ring is. They are 15 years old. I guess the glue just let go. I tried to repair it but it is not right. My fear is the OP could damage her shade like my shade was damaged. That's why I would just use it with the broken arm or try to solder it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 11:28 AM

550 posts, read 209,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Nice find. This is a good alternative if she is not going to damage the lamp shade getting the old ring off.

I'm thinking she should leave the existing ring in place, cut out the "spokes" only, and then tie the new and old rims together with a fine wire.

Trying to solder on the existing is sure to discolor the fabric. Alternately, she could try an adhesive such as "JB Weld"....but I think that might be prone to future failure in a "please never touch that" sort of way.

Old 09-19-2022, 06:56 PM

5,644 posts, read 3,489,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Needmore View Post
I'm thinking she should leave the existing ring in place, cut out the "spokes" only, and then tie the new and old rims together with a fine wire.

Trying to solder on the existing is sure to discolor the fabric. Alternately, she could try an adhesive such as "JB Weld"....but I think that might be prone to future failure in a "please never touch that" sort of way.

I can't get both broken spokes on the rim, only one at a time and I can solder, but don't have the equipment to do so.

I think this idea of "breaking" the last spoke and trying to connect a new spoked ring to the old has the most merit with the least possibility of destroying anything.

And yeah, the original shade was paper bag brown. DH destroyed it while moving and I felt like I won the lottery when I found that one to replace it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation