U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 07:37 PM

2,434 posts, read 1,009,459 times

Advertisements

Definitive Technology D-17 main speakers, CS9060 center channel speaker, DN15 subwoofer, Denon AVR-X2800 receiver and an Onkyo CD changer (sp?) Watching the installation was interesting. The shop actually sent an "audio engineer" to calibrate everything to the room. They used a laptop with special microphones in various places in our great room so the sound would be uniform throughout the room. Everything (including the TV & blu-ray player) is controlled via one remote.

The first time I cranked up the volume I thought I was gonna shake the house off the foundation! The sub-woofer cranks out an unbelieveable low end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 08:43 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,823,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
We get it.

A $50 bluetooth party speaker sounds identical to a $5000 system, and anyone who believes otherwise is an absolute moron and certainly not a music lover. How dare someone buy speakers, amps, DACs and be fond of their setup? Certainly not any REAL music lover! This is 100% validated by your 28-year-old article, don't worry.

Moving on.
I am guessing you are being sarcastic. I am not an audiophile but enjoy good quality music. I am also a musician with near perfect pitch. There is no way a $50 or even a $300 BT speaker will come close to a quality speaker. As soon as you introduce wireless signals, it has degraded over any speaker cable. I have listened to BT speakers at Best Buy and other stores in hope of buying one but they are all over processed garbage with added booming bass that does not belong there and tinny treble. I sure hope you are being sarcastic because if you aren't, you have a lot to learn. Good luck.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
I feel ya on this. I too am far more interested in live performances than the reproduction you can get from a system. BUT, it's not always practical to go to every live performance, and although I go to several per year I still just want to listen to good, accurate-sounding music in my living room as I sip my bourbon and cuddle my puppies, lol. There's not a lot of activities in the world that make me more happy than listening to Loreena McKennitt or Simon & Garfunkel or Bob Marley in my living room at night cuddled up and warm and toasty. Closing my eyes and feeling the music. It's a great feeling.
Nothing wrong with that if it makes you happy. In fact, that is all that matters.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 4,085,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am guessing you are being sarcastic. I am not an audiophile but enjoy good quality music. I am also a musician with near perfect pitch. There is no way a $50 or even a $300 BT speaker will come close to a quality speaker. As soon as you introduce wireless signals, it has degraded over any speaker cable. I have listened to BT speakers at Best Buy and other stores in hope of buying one but they are all over processed garbage with added booming bass that does not belong there and tinny treble. I sure hope you are being sarcastic because if you aren't, you have a lot to learn. Good luck.
Read the room (or at the very least, the OP), dude. If you can't detect the sarcasm, you have a lot to learn.

My god, this site is impossible sometimes. It's no wonder this site is dying due to the likes of Reddit.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:57 PM

17,681 posts, read 24,234,704 times
Love this thread. Love this subject!

The first 45 I ever bought was 'Bristol Stomp" by the Dovells. The first lp was 'Drag City" by Jan and Dean. Bought them at my neighborhood Woolworths store on their new release rack nearly 6 decades ago. 59 years of blowing my money on wax! Still buy vinyl, won't quit until I'm kaputsky!

I have several friends who are "Golden Ears" fanatics. I don't qualify, I just have a ho hum system these days--a Yamaha CR-440 receiver and a Technics C-3300 turntable. My backup is my old Pioneer QX-4000 Quadrophonic receiver. Yep, I'm old, so is my equipment. Still, I certainly appreciate the new equipment and thankfully they brought vinyl back to stay. The music industry had no business trying to do away with vinyl, it was all about making big money forcing people to change over to CD. And don't get me wrong, I have plenty of CD's, I play them in the Jeep everyday, have for 25 years plus!

And speaking of a good feeling and speaking of bourbon, I happen to be knocking down a Seagrams Seven and Seven Up. Am watching the 49ers and Cardinals now, when the game is over, it's time to play an album that gets better with age-it's one of the great albums of 1968 that doesn't get the publicity of the great psych lp's, the Beatles white album, the Stones Beggars Banquet, etc., etc. "Realization" by Johnny Rivers--an absolute awesome recording!

Old 11-21-2022, 10:28 PM

28,425 posts, read 20,285,923 times
I'm still using the good old gear I bought one 30 years ago, and most of my music is still on vinyl and tape.

But just this year I decided to buy a set of JBL wireless headphones to use with my laptop because they sounded so good.
And when I discovered that I was missing some phone calls while wearing them, I decided to try one of the new wireless portable speakers. I settled on a Boom3, made by Ultimate Ears after it had been recommended several times, and I think it's swell!
It's about the size and shape of a Pringle's potato chip can, easy to carry around, and has a whacking good bass response.
I really admire all the advances in speaker technology that have been going on under my nose. I'm not sure the sound quality has reached a higher level of quality as the older stuff from the past, but the new speakers are sure a lot more convenient to use, more versatile, more robust and very trouble free.

I was so impressed I'm now thinking of buying some new digital amp gear and mate it to a MegaBoom. That would be a really nice small, portable guitar amplifier/ PA/ field amp for recording and performing. It would all stuff in a small daypack w/ no problems.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:31 AM

2,021 posts, read 848,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhelmit View Post
evidence? Offended? Ohm's law and coulomb's law? Lol, who do you think you are? :d this is the hobbies section on c-d, lmao. You're just another standard holier than thou online jerk- again, you win dude! You're better than me as a human being simply because you don't know the difference between a $50 bluetooth party speaker and a hifi system, nor can your old boomer ears hear the difference. I get it. I'd be salty too, my friend. If you want evidence- find it. The internet will tell you whatever you want to read, so your 28 year old opinion article is a moot point. As are you.
and... Q. E. D.

Last edited by rabbit33; 11-22-2022 at 06:55 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 06:34 AM

2,021 posts, read 848,728 times
I will admit, we hairy-eared engineers do sometimes like to tweak younguns. It's fun to watch them spit and pop, like an ice cube tossed into the fry machine, when you challenge their advertising-driven preconceptions. They're so cute when they get all torqued up.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:16 AM

1,407 posts, read 934,554 times
Hi all!

I have an OK system in the home theater. Athena Speakers all around fed from a Yamaha deck. except for the Klipsch center channel. Not expensive but has good enough sound for movies.

On the computer, I have Audio Engine A5's on either side of my Ultrawide.

However, in the truck car is where my audiophile listening experience goes. Pioneer deck. I have Hybrid Audio Legatia 6.5" in the doors, 3.5" in the dash, and 1" tweet in the sail panels. An Image Dynamics IDQ-10 dual voice coil in a custom 1 sq cu ft sealed box. All fed from Arc Audio amplifiers. Double sound deadening on all panels throughout.

Old 11-24-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Read the room (or at the very least, the OP), dude. If you can't detect the sarcasm, you have a lot to learn.

My god, this site is impossible sometimes. It's no wonder this site is dying due to the likes of Reddit.
I said it might be sarcastic but I have no idea who the OP is and no idea if he is serious. I am sure there are many who would write that very post and be 100% serious. Take a chill pill and go listen to your BT speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation