U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,731,362 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking part in one on September 13 and did not know if any of you had participated in one before. Archaeology has always fascinated me and I had considered a 2 week vacation dedicated to a dig but thought I should take smaller steps with a one day "trial run".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 08:17 AM

3,702 posts, read 16,328,930 times
I did when I was in college. The weather conditions were very poor in my case, cold wet, drizzle, but it was a great experience anyway. Word of warning...it is very tedious and everything is done slowly and methodically by the grid. Everything is also documented precisely. Never the less, it is amazing when you are actually digging and musing on how folks lived back whenever and suddenly come across something even if it is just a bunch of charcoal from an old fire pit. Middens are actually the best...all sorts of neat stuff shows up there. I often wonder about folks in the future excavating our landfills and shaking their head in wonder about what we threw away.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I did when I was in college. The weather conditions were very poor in my case, cold wet, drizzle, but it was a great experience anyway. Word of warning...it is very tedious and everything is done slowly and methodically by the grid. Everything is also documented precisely. Never the less, it is amazing when you are actually digging and musing on how folks lived back whenever and suddenly come across something even if it is just a bunch of charcoal from an old fire pit. Middens are actually the best...all sorts of neat stuff shows up there. I often wonder about folks in the future excavating our landfills and shaking their head in wonder about what we threw away.
Thank you. We are fortunate enough to be in Virginia and surrounded by some rich history. There was a plantation that burned (Fairfield Plantation, Gloucester County) and they hold public excavations. Hopefully I will find something!!

We went to a ruins site yesterday and it was just fascinating!

Hopefully September will be dry and a little cooler than what we have now, but who knows!

Old 08-17-2008, 12:09 PM

3,702 posts, read 16,328,930 times
Sounds interesting. I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm basically a rockhound with a bit of paleontology mixed in, but that archaeology class I took in college along with the dig were very enlightening. I've always got my eye out when I'm rock or fossil hunting just in case I run over an arch. site that needs to be preserved.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Oh yeah, it looks so interesting to me. I have never been fossil hunting but that sounds engaging as well.

My dad is a big history buff so I guess I come by it naturally. The dig is at a plantation called Fairfield Plantation in Gloucester, Virginia. You should check it out!

Thanks for your response. I am really looking forward to it1

Old 08-17-2008, 07:15 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,942,830 times
I've worked on numerous digs all over the world. The conditions varied widely in terms of weather, equipment, accommodations, etc. What didn't vary was the great experience. I enjoyed all of them and that was largely due to the great company. So, give it a whirl. Being a shovel bum is great fun.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
I've worked on numerous digs all over the world. The conditions varied widely in terms of weather, equipment, accommodations, etc. What didn't vary was the great experience. I enjoyed all of them and that was largely due to the great company. So, give it a whirl. Being a shovel bum is great fun.
Are you a professional or a weekend warrior?

Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,942,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Are you a professional or a weekend warrior?
I studied Archaeology in college, but never used my degree. Some of the digs I worked on were as a student and others were as a volunteer. I'm sure I'll volunteer again some day, once the kids are grown.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:31 PM

32,420 posts, read 17,758,078 times
I found sifting through the boxes and boxes of "finds" from the digs to be much more interesting (to me) than scratching in the dirt.

While in college I wrote a short paper as part of a 3 credit individual study course. It also enriched my knowledge because I had to read 100's of pages of scientific archeological journals before I could write one paragraph.

There are a lot of volunteer digs and finding a good archeologist to work with makes the experience even more enjoyable.

Its also a great way to make friends with people who have the same interest. I met a man who has a garage full of "finds" that he has found. The only drawback to avocational artifact hunts is it takes the artifacts out of their context, which makes the artifacts useless. So, I would stick with a planned ongoing dig. They need all the volunteers they can find.

I used to take walks along creekbeds and the surrounding plowed fields right after a rain. After a while, you can almost spot ideal places for prehistoric campsites and villages.

Have fun and take kneepads!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 13,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am considering taking part in one on September 13 and did not know if any of you had participated in one before. Archaeology has always fascinated me and I had considered a 2 week vacation dedicated to a dig but thought I should take smaller steps with a one day "trial run".
Hi there...

I've excavated in Israel several seasons... and in the states, I have volunteered for several PIT (Passport in Time) programs--Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Illinois. They are always a challenge.

Any excavation is well worth the time spent. It will challenge you to study the area and history of each site as well as the culture and religious aspects related to any site.

~serapha~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or