Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times

Advertisements

This may be better off in the fine arts forum. However I have to weigh in, I have seen some nice prints that are printed onto a canvas material and stretched like a regular canvas would be. Those look nice. In fact I have one.
I am a fan of prints. If you want to get prints of classic artists: van gogh, renoir, etc. There are nice prints to be had that you can frame for not too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 483 times
Buy original handmade art by the artist who created it. Giclees are really color xeroxes. They are true to the artists pigments thanks to technology, they are inexpensive to manufacture but they do not qualify as FINE ART unless they are digitally conceived and created that way by the artist and printed in tiny editions. The added brush stroke texture is just another inkjet perk. You do not have the original painting you have a digital copy of the painting. Copy's sell for pennies on the dollar when brought into the secondary market.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:33 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artexpert View Post
Buy original handmade art by the artist who created it. Giclees are really color xeroxes. They are true to the artists pigments thanks to technology, they are inexpensive to manufacture but they do not qualify as FINE ART unless they are digitally conceived and created that way by the artist and printed in tiny editions. The added brush stroke texture is just another inkjet perk. You do not have the original painting you have a digital copy of the painting. Copy's sell for pennies on the dollar when brought into the secondary market.
LOL, agreed. think if you grew up in a time before giclees this is the feeling. I see them as glorified poster art.

edited to add: I do have some in my house because of budgetary reasons! would way prefer originals.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:16 PM

135 posts, read 169,937 times
buy what you enjoy. If you're buying art as an investment, don't.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
A photographic copy of "The Potato Eaters," will look nice framed and matted on your wall. Don't be concerned with brush marks. Gallery owners are regularly asked the value of a piece of art someone owns. For some reason knowing the value seems important to some people, especially if they picked it up for practically nothing.

When I was in school, someone brought a picture of a famous painting to one of the art professors, asking him the value. They actually though it was THE painting instead of just a photographic copy. He said it was worth maybe 50 cents. They thought he was lying. He may have been since it was worthless.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I admit I am not very well versed in art but gaining an increasing appreciation of it ever since I visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam. I was so impressed by "The Potato Eaters" that now I want to get a copy of this incredible painting for my apt. Now I want to ask you guys who are into art, is it better to get a "print" of the original or a oil painted imitation? What are the advantages and disadvantages or going either route? How authentic can prints look? Prints are way cheaper but I'm guessing the oil painted version, which is several hundred dollars, is much more "authentic"?
Get a good quality print. Oil-painted copies are just more expensive - they are not more, but less, "authentic".

Van gogh potato eaters , Posters and Prints at Art.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation