Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:24 AM

654 posts, read 363,713 times

Advertisements

If you knew someone who loves trains- travels by train when possible (even just for fun) and subscribed to railroad magazines but never said much about trains otherwise- what would you think?

It seems like it’s fine for people to like cars, and I’ve met people who love planes, but is one considered stranger or weirder than the other? Are any of those interests considered “redneck”?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 09:23 AM

795 posts, read 481,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
If you knew someone who loves trains- travels by train when possible (even just for fun) and subscribed to railroad magazines but never said much about trains otherwise- what would you think?

It seems like it’s fine for people to like cars, and I’ve met people who love planes, but is one considered stranger or weirder than the other? Are any of those interests considered “redneck”?

Thanks.

I would think they like trains and that's their thing! I know several people who love trains - magazines, books, setup around the Christmas tree, etc.

I don't think one is weirder than the other (if someone likes cars, but judges someone for liking trains... that's the definition of a snob!).
I feel that someone judging someone else's healthy hobby comes off snobby and like they're superior, which they are not.

I hate the word redneck - and it's connotations.

People need to live and let live.

If you love trains - enjoy your hobby!

Old 05-16-2020, 10:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,019,740 times
Sounds like a harmless, fun hobby.

Am I missing something?

Old 05-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
I'm a car guy, have restored a couple of classics, go to car shows, and had a Challenger for a few years. Still I am a big railroad fan. I love hanging around at the railroad museum and boneyard in nearby Snoqualmie, WA, and often watch repeats of "Alaska Railroad" on the Destination America TV channel.

https://www.trainmuseum.org/

https://www.destinationamerica.com/t...ilroad-alaska/

Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
I'd think they like trains. It's not a big deal. Why would someone think it's weird?

Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 AM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm a car guy, have restored a couple of classics, go to car shows, and had a Challenger for a few years. Still I am a big railroad fan. I love hanging around at the railroad museum and boneyard in nearby Snoqualmie, WA, and often watch repeats of "Alaska Railroad" on the Destination America TV channel.

https://www.trainmuseum.org/

https://www.destinationamerica.com/t...ilroad-alaska/
Me too, right on there brother!

I'm for anything with an internal combustion engine and wheels or tracks. Do all of my own mechanical work and restored 4 cars of the 1930's two of which I still own.

I refuse to fly and my wife and I went on 6 cross country trips all by rail from New York to Arizona before moving to Arizona. We too have watched "Alaska Railroad" when it was on and have often gone train watching in Seligman, AZ. There's nothing like the sound of those big ES44AC and SD70ACE locomotives rumbling beneath our feet. Wouldn't you just love to get in the cab and see what it's like to operate one of those?

At one point in my life I wanted to drive trucks, went to a trucking school and learned to drive tractor trailers. As such I also love to watch "Highway to Hell" and "Heavy Rescue 401" on the weather channel. As it's something that I can relate to. Same for "Jay Leno's Garage" "Chasing Classic Cars" "Fantom Works" "Full Custom Garage" "Counting Cars" and others. One of my friends met Jay Leno at a car show. He said that he was a regular guy no different than what he's like on TV, funny, gracious and respectful of others.
Attached Thumbnails
OK to have an interest in trains (compared to planes or cars)?-img_3174.jpg   OK to have an interest in trains (compared to planes or cars)?-img_3185.jpg  

Old 05-21-2020, 12:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,754,982 times
There are many rail fans. Everything from filming video and taking pictures of trains, chasing them along their lines. Listening to rail traffic on radio. There are several people who are interested in trains.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
What do you mean, "is it OK?"

Why don't you ask Leland Stanford, or Collis P Huntington? An interest in railroads seems to have worked out OK for them.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:40 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
It's just another hobby. In my experience, boys like their toys, and sometimes the bigger the better. Hence trains. There's a huge cult of train watchers in both this country and in the United Kingdom, and many people have gone so far as to buy old train engines or cars and refurbish them, bringing them back to their former glory. Some people have laid track and got their old engines running and ended up with a second career that was more fun than their first.

If you have never heard of this hobby, you just haven't talked to all the people in the world.

Old 06-04-2020, 08:01 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,183 times
There are 100's of thousands of railfans, including myself.
I remember when they were running the 611. You
couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting another railfan there were so
many track side. It's just like fishing, you never know what you'll catch,
how many, you might get skunked or you could get that wall hanger on any given outing.

Most railfans I have met are good people. I have run into a couple that were
way out there but you will have that in any hobby. There are some that like to
hear themselves talk but it doesn't take long to figure them out and leave. I think
I have over 500, maybe over 600 train videos on Youtube? When I'm track side I'm
doing video and still shots at the same time. I have never had any trouble when I'm filming
trains. Well I did have to deal with a crazy, homeless woman once and that made for an interesting
video in itself. I think it's the best hobby ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation