Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,898 times

Advertisements

Hello! My son is starting piano lessons and we just bought him a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano. As I was listening to the salesman, it made me miss playing an instrument and this piano is SO cool! Do you think it would be difficult for me to learn how to play piano now, at 30? I have only played flute in my lifetime and that was when I was in Jr. high. I have always heard if you don't learn an instrument when you are young, then it's very difficult to learn at an older age. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Hello! My son is starting piano lessons and we just bought him a Yamaha Clavinova digital piano. As I was listening to the salesman, it made me miss playing an instrument and this piano is SO cool! Do you think it would be difficult for me to learn how to play piano now, at 30? I have only played flute in my lifetime and that was when I was in Jr. high. I have always heard if you don't learn an instrument when you are young, then it's very difficult to learn at an older age. Any advice? Thanks!
My father just bought my daughter a Clavinova. I started doing the Follow the Lights, just for fun. I play around with the piano, more than my wife and daughter ever do.

I don't understand why a beginner would want anything other than a digital piano.

With regard to your question: You are never too young to learn anything. If you can read music (which you could in Junior High), you have the background to move to another instrument. I played the Alto Sax and I have been tempted to buy another Saxophone but I would have to start with a thinner reed, again....

Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Do you just want to play for fun or do you want to PLAY? There are plenty of free online resources for beginning piano. You can also go into a music store and buy some of the beginner exercises and theory to get you started. Since you've played an instrument before and can read music, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

If you want to PLAY, I'd suggest getting lessons. It becomes much harder to unlearn bad habits and self taught piano players are more likely to have them.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:19 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Do you just want to play for fun or do you want to PLAY? There are plenty of free online resources for beginning piano. You can also go into a music store and buy some of the beginner exercises and theory to get you started. Since you've played an instrument before and can read music, it shouldn't be too hard to pick up.

If you want to PLAY, I'd suggest getting lessons. It becomes much harder to unlearn bad habits and self taught piano players are more likely to have them.
Thanks to both of you! What are some bad habits that self taught piano players do? I would love to teach myself the basics, if I get more into it, then maybe take lessons. Paying for lessons for both my son and myself is just really expensive! What do you think? I really would like to be able to read music and play it, but not try to go out and get gigs or join a band!

Old 12-11-2008, 12:36 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Quote:
30? -- you are a spring chicken! There was a guy on PBS some years back who taught piano the easy way (The Piano Guy??) and/or try the Suzuki method -- learning by ear, then learn theory/reading music. You should be fine.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
You can do it! My husband, both kids and I all play. I took lessons when I was a youth/teen and I don't play very often now, but when I do, it all comes back to me. I may not be Liberace, but I can do it. You can do it too!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
My father started piano lessons at 79 and was playing Chopin etudes after the first year. It's never too late.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,477 times
Quote:
Thanks to both of you! What are some bad habits that self taught piano players do? I would love to teach myself the basics, if I get more into it, then maybe take lessons. Paying for lessons for both my son and myself is just really expensive! What do you think? I really would like to be able to read music and play it, but not try to go out and get gigs or join a band!
Correct finger and wrist positioning to avoid cramping, tiredness, and maximum speed on strength upon hitting the keys. Correct posture and positioning on the bench, again, to prevent tiredness and insure good positioning for reaching different octaves or crossing over. Correct timing on the pedals and on trills, syncopation, etc. But if you just want to play around and do popular music or beginner and intermediate level music, you can learn it yourself. Let us know how it's going in a few months!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
Quote:
2 things: After your son goes to his lesson...you should practice whatever it is his teacher assigns him to practice. It's ALMOST like getting 2 lessons for the price of 1.

Next: I'm 30 and just picked up the guitar (although I had messed with it several years back but never got anywhere). It will sound pretty terrible at first...but one day, the light will go on and you'll "get it". Good luck.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:29 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
You're never too old to learn an instrument! I am a violin/viola teacher (on the side), and many of my students have been "older" - including a woman in her 40s who was suffering from cancer, and figured "it's now or never." The older students do usually take a bit more time, since children have a faster learning curve... but they all got it eventually, so there's no reason not to try.

P.S. I just picked up the guitar this year, at age 32 (actually 31 when I started). It only took me a month or so to get the hang of it, but I do have the advantage of playing 7 other instruments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation