Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times

Advertisements

I'm here but don't operate much, too many other things going on. Never had much of a head for code but did get past 13 wpm. Would like to get into some of the newer digital modes but I haven't quite figured out how to get the rig and the sound card talking to each other right.

Yes I know someone who wants to can find me from my screen name. I'm even listed in the phone book. I've been on the Internet since 1986, and I know very well that what one types could very well wind up on the front page of the newspaper with my real name attached. Not sure why people can either think they want to or can hide on the 'net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,800,679 times
I would like some information about ham radio. (I admit to having very little knowledge at all)

Could someone please give me a quick explaination about how it works, what is is used for, how much it would cost to get started, and the testing/ licensing requirements.

I'm interested in an alternative to the mainstream media and other such info sources. Having a local means of communication in case things get ugly here in the good ole USA.

(I'm also looking into police scanners as another option to stay on top of any breaking news)

~Thanks for any info you can provide.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:46 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Go to www.n3fjp.com and check out the exam study software.
HAM (amateur) radio is similar to Citizen's Band, but much more technical. The radios that can be used have much more power, and the bands that can be used cover a wide portion of the radio spectrum. A license issued by the FCC is REQUIRED to transmit.
There may be an Amateur Radio Club in your area that can give you all the information you need, and help you in taking and passing the tests.
I took and passed the Technician and General tests in one day.
KJ7POE

Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 8,857 times
Default 73, DE kj4ww

hello from kent kj4ww miami fl. new to this net format...

Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Welcome, KJ4WW. AA5L here, Joe in Fort Worth, TX. Let's do a sunspot dance!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 8,805 times
Hi! N6NWX here....I am currently living in Durango, CO. I found two repeaters listed on a webpage here and have input the correct PL's and such and can't seem to open them and am not hearing any traffic. How's it going back East? Bill

Old 08-13-2009, 11:29 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
They might be "paper repeaters", listed but not operational. There are lots of those around here in DFW.

I rode my motorcycle to Durango many years ago! It was a beautiful area. I hope it hasn't changed much. - Joe, AA5L
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation