Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 02:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times

Advertisements

Hi -

Anyone out there into metal detecting? I'm a hobbyist, a beginner (never found anything yet but bottle caps) and wonder what the laws are in NC.
I know you need permission to go on private property, but do you need permission from the municipality/town to sweep community ballfields, public parks, etc.? How about the beaches? Other?

Any pointers and information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 04:45 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Hi -

Anyone out there into metal detecting? I'm a hobbyist, a beginner (never found anything yet but bottle caps) and wonder what the laws are in NC.
I know you need permission to go on private property, but do you need permission from the municipality/town to sweep community ballfields, public parks, etc.? How about the beaches? Other?

Any pointers and information is appreciated!

Hey there southward bound - my childhood was spent as my Father's assistant when it came to metal detecting (okay...really I was just the one that held the ever important screwdriver...just waiting for the word "Dig Here"!). We went to several states and have lots of interesting stories now to share with my children (In fact my oldest child has a metal detector of their own now). We've always made it a point to go to the beaches and parks right after a big holiday. I currently live in SC just outside of Charlotte, NC and while we don't go on private property....we have not been stopped by anyone as far as breaking any laws in public places? One suggestion I might throw out there to you...is new construction sites where the earth/soil has just recently been turned over (probably wouldn't be a bad idea to ask someone before starting there though).

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation