Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:00 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,870,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
It's a lot of fun running my "old" steam locomotives around the living room, and hearing the sounds from them as they pass by. I wish I had more room for setting up a layout and having the trains ready to run all the time. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm retired many years from now - sigh.

Like you guys, I hope TD doesn't come here and preach about the evils of building models. This may be an area where he has actual experience...
Too much glue, perhaps?
Hee hee! Anyhow, I just ordered a new model, 1:35 scale of the M1A1 Abrams. My first Armor model; I've always done planes. But I decided I want to be able to point to what keeps our enemies up worrying all night, so will also build the new F22 model, and perhaps a Trident boomer.

We really need to put up a BIG space platform station that is bristling with armament, a sort of always-ready threat, only to be used if we are threatened, or, certainly, attacked. Drop in, say, two hundred warheads onto the Chicoms or The Soviets (sorry..Russian Peace-niks) should they get a bit randy....

Which reminds me, I'm also gonna build that new model of the Predator drone, and hang it up high in my gunsmithing shop. When people start talking rebellion or anarchy, I can put my finger to my lips and say "shhhh" as I point up!

Take care guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,378,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hee hee! Anyhow, I just ordered a new model, 1:35 scale of the M1A1 Abrams. My first Armor model; I've always done planes. But I decided I want to be able to point to what keeps our enemies up worrying all night, so will also build the new F22 model, and perhaps a Trident boomer.

We really need to put up a BIG space platform station that is bristling with armament, a sort of always-ready threat, only to be used if we are threatened, or, certainly, attacked. Drop in, say, two hundred warheads onto the Chicoms or The Soviets (sorry..Russian Peace-niks) should they get a bit randy....

Which reminds me, I'm also gonna build that new model of the Predator drone, and hang it up high in my gunsmithing shop. When people start talking rebellion or anarchy, I can put my finger to my lips and say "shhhh" as I point up!

Take care guys!
make sure you get a good reference book, alot of in field mods are done to these tanks by the crews. There are some good add on kits for this as far as stowage and what not are concerned.

Armorama :: Military Scale Modeling Community - Model and Diorama Features, Forums, Gallery, and More. is where I get a bunch of info on building my armor projects

Old 03-21-2009, 06:00 PM

572 posts, read 1,310,897 times
My Dad built balsa airplane kits when he was a kid in the 1930's and was in the Army Air Forces in WW2, When plastic kits appeared in stores in the '50s he built them and taught my brother and I how to build them. The Aurora kits were great beginner kits and Monogram's 1/48 planes were fun. As kids we didn't mind going to the stores with our parents because we would spend time in the toy departments going over the selection of kits. We were fortunate in that we had weekly allowances which if we saved could be used to buy kits and supplies which were rediculously low by todays standards. For example an Aurora 1/48 plane kit was 69 cents and a bottle of Testors paint was 12 Cents.
Today I wait for 50% coupons from Michael's or A.C. Moore craft stores to buy a kit or supplies. When I visit a modern store like one of the Hobbytown chain, I see wonderful kits but balk at paying $35 for a 1/35 scale tank kit.
Christmas 2007 I got my self a 1/72 scale PT boat kit which with my then 5 year old daughter we researched and built together. Last Christmas I gave her her own 1/48 scale P-51 Mustang which I helped her with but let her do most of the assembly and painting. It sits on her bedroom dresser next to the stuffed dolls!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinduffy View Post
My Dad built balsa airplane kits when he was a kid in the 1930's and was in the Army Air Forces in WW2, When plastic kits appeared in stores in the '50s he built them and taught my brother and I how to build them. The Aurora kits were great beginner kits and Monogram's 1/48 planes were fun. As kids we didn't mind going to the stores with our parents because we would spend time in the toy departments going over the selection of kits. We were fortunate in that we had weekly allowances which if we saved could be used to buy kits and supplies which were rediculously low by todays standards. For example an Aurora 1/48 plane kit was 69 cents and a bottle of Testors paint was 12 Cents.
Today I wait for 50% coupons from Michael's or A.C. Moore craft stores to buy a kit or supplies. When I visit a modern store like one of the Hobbytown chain, I see wonderful kits but balk at paying $35 for a 1/35 scale tank kit.
Christmas 2007 I got my self a 1/72 scale PT boat kit which with my then 5 year old daughter we researched and built together. Last Christmas I gave her her own 1/48 scale P-51 Mustang which I helped her with but let her do most of the assembly and painting. It sits on her bedroom dresser next to the stuffed dolls!

Kits can be VERY expensive. I used to build cars when I was a kid, just before my daughter was born I got back into the hobby, It is not that uncommon to throw $50-$75 down on a single kit. I have a Tamaya Dragon Wagon on my shelf to build (along with 50+ unbuilt kits) that would have been $169.00 had I not found it mis marked and on sale lol. Kit prices fluctuate with oil prices as well, since they use styrene plastic made from crude.

My father gave me a model that my great grandfather made back in the very early 40's of a russian tank, it is all made of wood. Kind of a neat thing to have.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:29 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,183,818 times
Does Revelle or similar even exist any more? ie the models you get in a cardboard box with all the parts attached to a few big pieces of plastic that you cut off and paint then glue on according to the steps? Man I miss those days...

Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Does Revelle or similar even exist any more? ie the models you get in a cardboard box with all the parts attached to a few big pieces of plastic that you cut off and paint then glue on according to the steps? Man I miss those days...
Revelle and Monogram are still around, most models are going to come on the plastic "spruces"

Revelle and monogram are not considered one of the "high end" company's anymore though. That brand goes to Haswagga, Tamiya, Dragon, and Trumpeter.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Thx - and that's fine I'm not a high-end model maker.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Thx - and that's fine I'm not a high-end model maker.
I love the ease of the high end kits, they just fall together (unless you start using photoetch addons)

Old 03-28-2009, 06:58 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,711,016 times
Yeah, I built a few, but I cheated kind of and always bought the plastic ones that snapped together, no glue needed. I always liked to built mechs (y'know, giant robots from Japanese animation shows ans such), but the downfall was sometimes the directions would only be in Japanese and I'd have to use just the little illustrations.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:27 PM

SNAP-TITES?? Get out of this thread you cut-rate pee-wee amateur!

Seriously we used to really turn our nose down to those as kids. Besides then what excuse do you have to sniff the glue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation