Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM

995 posts, read 2,720,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post
A pack of smokes in NYC will go to the price of about 9 bucks very soon as another tobacco tax was just passed.
i don't smoke anymore, but I find the high taxes to be freaking nuts. this won't deter people from smoking. if anything people are gonna start crossing state lines for cheaper smokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM

995 posts, read 2,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I'll dedicate the next smoke to you
me 2. i miss the days of sneaking a smoke out back of my house, while watching the sun go down for the night.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:51 AM

40 posts, read 111,841 times
Before finding the 'roll your own' genre, I used to go from CT to New Hampshire every few months and load up. Couple of hours travel each way. (Not sure what current prices are, but if you avoid the expensive NH 'smoke shops' and just go to a Shaws supermarket, you could pick up standard names cartons for around $33)
Now I shudder to think what the prices are.

Again, finding a quality tobacco and rolling your own still beats the over-taxed official product. Also, for the price I spent on buying 10 cartons of premade smokes - I could smoke for a very long time on roll-your-own tobacco. Something I wish I'd learned sooner.

re the high taxes, I suppose its an easy target to pick on, it lets politicians ride the wave of overly-righteous types whining. But as the profits fall from normal cigarettes, watch for other taxes to appear (I'm hoping they slap it on something which gets all the vehement anti-smokers, who've been gloating over the tax rise).

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM

an additional post: especially for the zealous anti-smokers, who didn't mind it when something got taxed that they didn't like. The public stepped onto a slippery slope by not blocking the tobacco tax, and the powers that be, have smelled the opportunity for further taxes.

(I think the phrase is 'now the chickens are coming home to roost.')
---snip
"In a commentary released today by the New England Journal of Medicine, Yale’s Kelly Brownell and New York City’s health commissioner, Thomas Frieden, argue that taxing sugary drinks could go a long way toward putting a brake on obesity. It won’t make fat people slim. But it could slow or prevent plump consumers from ballooning into obese individuals, they argue.

Brownell and Frieden are not proposing a little tax. They’re advocating something that would really catch consumers’ eyes on each grocery or restaurant receipt: perhaps a penny per ounce purchased. Each 32-ounce bottle of sugar-sweetened Coke, Mountain Dew, lemonade, sweetened tea or fruit punch, for instance, would rack up a 32-cent tax. A carton of 12-ounce cans would cost an extra $1.44.
Linky: Science News / Coming: Hard Tax On Soft Drinks?

and
"New York City’s health commissioner has written an article advocating “hefty” taxes on sodas and sports drinks containing sugar. Such a tax, the article said, could be the biggest boon to public health since tobacco taxes.

The commissioner, Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, and Kelly D. Brownell of Yale University, his co-author, argue in the New England Journal of Medicine that a tax of a penny per ounce could reduce consumption by more than 10 percent and raise $1.2 billion a year in New York State alone."
Linky: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/he...9soda.html?hpw

Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM

10,924 posts, read 21,899,952 times
It was only a matter of time MrF, I'll be curious to see what the soda drinking pro tobacco tax crowd has to say about this one.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,769,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrankenstein View Post
Brownell and Frieden are not proposing a little tax. They’re advocating something that would really catch consumers’ eyes on each grocery or restaurant receipt: perhaps a penny per ounce purchased. Each 32-ounce bottle of sugar-sweetened Coke, Mountain Dew, lemonade, sweetened tea or fruit punch, for instance, would rack up a 32-cent tax. A carton of 12-ounce cans would cost an extra $1.44.
Linky: Science News / Coming: Hard Tax On Soft Drinks?
Great. Now I'm really going to be in trouble lol. First, my cigs and now my precious pop (or soda, as others call it). When they go after chocolate, I'll be inconsolable...

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 AM

11 posts, read 92,644 times
Default great

This is great. Thanks for sharing

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 04-15-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: No advertising, No manual signatures...

Old 04-15-2009, 05:34 AM

11,033 posts, read 17,418,069 times
I worked at a tobacco sale floor and processing plant several years ago. One of the owner was from Holland and rolled his own cigarettes. He would roll one while talking to you, lay it down next to a regular non filter cigarette and you had to look close to tell which is which.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:46 AM

Yeah, I should learn to do it by hand, just because its so 'old school' and looks rather cool - but I use a little rolling machine, filter, and paper. I can churn out a perfect smoke in about 30-45 seconds. The more you do it, the faster you get over time.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,989,695 times
My hubby has been rolling his own for a few years now. It waas an effort to cut down on smoking cigarettes in the hopes to eventually quit. He went from a pack or so a day (20-25 cigarettes) to 10 rolled ones a day. tHe uses American Spirit organic and thereby eliminates many of the harmful chemicals that manufacturers put in cigs to a.) keep them burning, b.)improve the taste, and c.) keep you adicted. At least it's a smalll step in the right direction to curb the addiction to nicotine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation