U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:25 PM

149 posts, read 262,417 times
This is a great thread. I hate the premade factory crap. It's funny, they're charging us an arm and leg to slowly poison us..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:45 AM

40 posts, read 75,521 times
Given the difference between growing a plant, drying it, and letting it age a little, before cutting it up and smoking it - and the horror of chemicals shown in the short clip below,
(how cigarettes are made)
YouTube - What's in a Cigarette?
I'd say there a BIG difference between smoking real tobacco, and smoking the fake tobacco in premade cigarettes.

Here's a lengthy but fascinating look at the issue of 'real' tobacco versus the crud people are smoking.

Consider this: "The tobacco products industry stopped being the tobacco industry over thirty years ago, and many brands of contemporary American cigarettes actually contain very little tobacco. Some American cigarette, pipe tobacco, cheap cigars, wet snuff, and chewing tobacco brands contain leaf tobacco - but very few. Many contain reconstituted tobacco, made from waste and scrap, not from leaf. Many American cigarette, pipe tobacco, cheap cigars, wet snuff, and chewing tobacco brands are also manufactured partially, and some are made exclusively from a material called alpha-cellulose, which has been chemically stripped out of such natural resources as food processing waste, municipal waste, and forest industry waste."Read the various diatribes and thoughts at:
An Illusory Enemy
' http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/views.html#nscv025 (broken link)

and: Whatever Happened to Natural Tobacco? http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/views.html#nscv016 (broken link)

Old 05-13-2009, 08:02 AM

36 posts, read 39,267 times
I've always rolled my own smokes. I like the taste of hand-rolled loose tabacco over anything else. Most notably Bali Shag, Drum, and Bugler. And I get the miniature Rizla filters as well.

Tabacco smoke is bad no matter what, and I know this, but rolled cigs don't leave me hacking up in the morning like store-bought marlboro's and the like do.

There's no point in getting a roller unless you plan to do bulk lol. I've learned how to roll a cig with one hand while driving and talking on a phone, filter included.

Best. . .and worst part about it: Just a cheaper but equally effective bullet for your gun.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 AM

36 posts, read 39,267 times
oops, double post.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 AM

By 'roller' you mean that little thing - the vinyl sheet around two rotating rollers? I find that with a filter and papers I can have a smoke rolled in like 20 seconds, and its no big deal to cart around. That said, yeah, I should learn to hand roll. Seen it in enough cowboy movies, after all Its kind of a cool technique to learn. I already get stares when I'm rolling smokes in public, may as well add to it...

On the other hand, I have a cluster of tobacco plant seedlings showing themselves already (I started growing late this season, most folks began a month or two ago) along with a couple of trays with another 50 - 100 plants on their way... so in a few months time I'll be heading towards some degree of smoking self sufficiency.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 PM

11,357 posts, read 9,456,683 times
I've just discovered the Search Forums and sorry I'm so late in my posting.

I've been rolling for 6 years now, but at the Indian store here in Las Vegas they no longer carry my one pound bags of King Mountain. I'm totally at a loss.

When I buy a pound bag, I spread it out on a cookie sheet and let it dry, then crush it up with my hands, and sift it into the tube filters, two at a time.

I recently decided, with the high cost of one pound bags today, to buy and experiment with a bag of smooth tobacco, at $15 a bag, and so far, I'm quite happy with it.

Mr. Frankenstein: I would have repped you a hundred times but I was only allowed one rep this session. But if I get an opportunity to vote on your canonization for sainthood one day, you'll have my vote. What an education
to read your brilliant posts!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 AM

6,975 posts, read 8,660,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFrankenstein View Post
Given the difference between growing a plant, drying it, and letting it age a little, before cutting it up and smoking it - and the horror of chemicals shown in the short clip below,

I'd say there a BIG difference between smoking real tobacco, and smoking the fake tobacco in premade cigarettes.

Here's a lengthy but fascinating look at the issue of 'real' tobacco versus the crud people are smoking.

Consider this: "The tobacco products industry stopped being the tobacco industry over thirty years ago, and many brands of contemporary American cigarettes actually contain very little tobacco. Some American cigarette, pipe tobacco, cheap cigars, wet snuff, and chewing tobacco brands contain leaf tobacco - but very few. Many contain reconstituted tobacco, made from waste and scrap, not from leaf. Many American cigarette, pipe tobacco, cheap cigars, wet snuff, and chewing tobacco brands are also manufactured partially, and some are made exclusively from a material called alpha-cellulose, which has been chemically stripped out of such natural resources as food processing waste, municipal waste, and forest industry waste."Read the various diatribes and thoughts at:
An Illusory Enemy' new strategies for cigarette victims (http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/views.html#nscv025 - broken link)

and: Whatever Happened to Natural Tobacco? new strategies for cigarette victims (http://home.ktc.com/bdrake/views.html#nscv016 - broken link)
(In my best Homer Simpson voice) Mmmmm, reconstituted tobacco, made from waste and scrap

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 AM

@NHDave (in my best Simpson's headmaster voice) "Yes well, but you have to remember that this allows for the addition of massively addictive materials which may not actually exist in the regular - and admittedly, less exciting - natural version of tobacco."

@tijlover thanks for the kind words re the King Mountain brand, have you tried looking for online sellers? Are the prices comparable to what you used to pay? Sometimes - especially with RYO/MYO its a far better deal (for peace of mind) to reach out and get a few big bags of your favorite from an online seller, rather than 'making do' and ending up permanently disgruntled as you smoke, knowing that it 'isnt' really hitting the spot for you.

Side thought: One of the ongoing things for me, cost-wise, is the crazy high prices for rolling papers and filters. recently paid $8 for just 4 packets of rolling papers. These costs also start adding up over time - as real world tobacco stores engage in serious profiteering on the little things. So I've ordered myself a big box of papers, such as those you see behind the counter in stores. I figure I'll save at least $20 or more in the long run. Still looking for bulk filters though...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 AM

521 posts, read 561,064 times
Can any one here roll a smoke one handed? I've only heard of people doing it, but never seen it, I think its a trick ill have to learn.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM

14,146 posts, read 9,820,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When I buy a pound bag, I spread it out on a cookie sheet and let it dry, then crush it up with my hands, and sift it into the tube filters, two at a time.
Dry it out and crush it? Harshness!

It seems like you're putting way too much work into the process. Why don't you pick up one of the Top-O-Matic injectors at the Paiute store for about 40 bucks? It works fantastic and will save you a lot of time and trouble, as well as give you a factory-quality packed cig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation