U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,953,230 times
I really like the Ka-bar you posted. I can pretty much guarantee that I'll end up spending a grand on knives in the next couple of months. I have friends who own like several hundred.

I "run" in martial arts circles and am very confident in my ability, but what I always kinda dread is having to face a very well trained knife fighter. Since this is a concern, I thought a great idea was to become a "knife fighter" myself.

Next on my to buy list:

That Ka-bar you posted.
CRKT Mini my Tighe
CRKT my Tighe
Cold Steel Spartan
Spyderco Endura fully serrated
Spyderco Tasman Salt fully serrated
Spyderco Civilian
Couple of Gerbers that I found online
Benchmade Griptilian (full size)
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:08 AM

19,120 posts, read 10,751,489 times
I am no hand to hand fighter, but I'll shootcha..... well not you......

I figure I can soak up a bad cut and still shoot.

Yeah I got a try with martial artists once. The weapons were padded, but the trainer guy, was putting big purple welts on 10 other guys and not getting hit.

He wanted me to get in the action, and first I refused. he insisted, and I agree only if he followed 2 nrules. One was I would be one on one, since the other guys were missing an dhitting each other trying to get him, and that if he raised a welt on me once I was going to take my stick and go home But the big one, But I would return and shoot him.

I ment it, and he knew I ment. Then I died about 20 times in 10 seconds, with out him actually touching me, well a slight touch on my neck only. I couldn't get close to touching him, but I sure could have shot him.

Later he had me drive a 16 penny nail into a dry red oak block, leaving the spike sticking up about 3/8th inch, and he pulled it out with his index finger and thumb. I have no idea how he was able to do that. Some of those guys are very good. For all I know you might be that good. Clearly I am not.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM

6,531 posts, read 14,227,430 times
I have had my cold steel tanto with the San Mai III blade for near 30 years now and it is a joy to use. I wish it had a nylon case, the leather one is showing it's age and cracking now.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM

3,039 posts, read 2,213,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That's a start. Most collectors have a Ka-Bar USMC, most without the serrations. Also look into Buck, Spyderco, and Victorinox.
I collect and deal in military edged weapons from about 1940 thru about 1980. The correct term for the World War II knife commonly known as the "Ka-Bar" is Mark II. It was originally a NAVY knife, and the first manufacturer was Camillus Cutlery. There were three additional manufacturers: Union Cutlery (under one of its trade-names, "Ka-Bar"), PAL Cutlery, and Robeson Shuredge. The Navy knives were all marked "USN".

Later in the war, the Marine Corps adopted the Mark II as its primary knife. These knives were marked "USMC". The first shipment delivered to the Marines came from Union Cutlery (aka "Ka-Bar") and the rest is history. The two most-common manufacturers for World War II USMC Mark II knives are Camillus Cutlery and Ka-Bar. The ONLY other manufacturers were PAL Cutlery and Robeson Shuredge. The rarest WWII Mark II knife is a blade-marked USMC Robeson Shuredge. I have one in great condition, and ain't letting go of it for love nor money...

From the post-WWII era thru now, all military-issue Mark II knives have simply been marked as "US".

For the record, there has never been a military-issue Mark II knife with blade serrations. Also for the record, there have never been any military-issue Mark II sheaths that were marked with the Marine Corps emblem.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-09-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Was planning on starting another thread, but thought Id ask here first:

What would you recommend as a good quality fixed blade combat knife?

What would you recommend as a good quality folder?
If you actually mean a "combat knife", your only real choices are fixed-blade double-edged knives, or at least spear-pointed knives with significant false-edged blades.

There are a lot of them out there ranging from the WWII military M3 fighting knife and bayonets that use the same blade (M4, M5, M6 and M7) , through the Gerber Mark II and Guardian II knives and the several variants of the Randall Model 2, to several Italian and other knives with true double-edged spear-point blades. The keys are that the knife must be (a) full-tanged, (b) made of strong steel that will keep and hold a good edge, and (c) have a grip that fits your hand well.

Single-edged "combat" knives are actually better thought of as "utility" knives. This includes the much-vaunted "Ka-Bar" knife, the highly-valued Randall Model 1 (and its variants) and the "SOG Knife" from the Vietnam era.

As a general rule, I don't recommend folders of any kind for heavy use, though I do carry them for general use.

The fact that a knife can be folded imparts a weakness to the overall design, a weakness that cannot be accommodated or mitigated. Other than the general-use folder I described above, my carry-knives have five- to six-inch blades, and are easily "masked" from general view (take careful note of the fact that I do not say "concealed", for obvious reasons...).

I also advise to steer clear of knives with hollow handles, because this generally imparts the same weakness found in folding knives. There are exceptions to this, of course. The Buck 184 "Buckmaster" knife, though quite heavy, is one example.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-09-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Night Eye's, so there is a lot of fake stuff out there huh?

The local Army Surplus has ka bar with serrated blades in part and the Marine Corps emblemed leather sheaths. Chinese???

Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Night Eye's, so there is a lot of fake stuff out there huh?

The local Army Surplus has ka bar with serrated blades in part and the Marine Corps emblemed leather sheaths. Chinese???
I don't know the origin of the knives you described, but they're definitely not US-issued items. (By that I mean they were neither purchased by the US military, nor officially issued by the US military.) Are they actually marked "Ka-Bar"? How are they packaged, if they are packaged? Are they in "plain brown wrapper" packaging, or in full-color boxes or blister-packs?

I've handled a few of the knockoffs that looked cool, but were poorly designed and made. A common material-saving "shortcut" is to make the tang very skinny. That's okay if the buyer only wants to display and/or admire it, but if he actually wants to use it...

I'll bet the Army Surplus store that you mentioned has a lot of other stuff that isn't really Army surplus, either. Right?

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-09-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Right. I suspect these are Ka Bar knock offs, but I believe they are marked Ka Bar. I didn't pay that much attention to tell the truth, but I frequent the place for all sorts of things. I sneak in a camera next time and have a better look.

They have camping gear made who knows where, but a good bet is China for some. They do have real mil surplus too, like Swiss Army and German Army wool pants and etc. They have Paskistan made saddle bags and other bike luggage, and items from around the world.

But I think some of the knives are chinese knock offs, and I am almost 100% sure they have they Corp logo on leather sheathes.

Don't take it as I am doubting you, as I am not. What I think is that store has cheap knock offs.

The chinese make knck offs of everything every day, and we all know it. Just look at running shoes.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
But I think some of the knives are chinese knock offs, and I am almost 100% sure they have they Corp logo on leather sheathes.

Don't take it as I am doubting you, as I am not. What I think is that store has cheap knock offs.

The chinese make knck offs of everything every day, and we all know it. Just look at running shoes.
Heck, Ka-Bar itself is marketing all kinds of Mark II knives, including commemoratives of just about everything under the sun. They all say USMC on the blade, and many come with USMC-marked sheaths. They've even got one with blade serrations.

https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=1218&mode=category& categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical (broken link)

But don't be fooled; they're commercial knives, not military. That's not to say the Ka-Bar-made knives aren't good ones. They're just not military-issue knives.

Mac, I know you work with steel all the time, so I'll bet you can tell a lot about the quality of steel by touch. All you've got to do is hold a military-issue Mark II (especially if its a WWII knife) in one hand, and a non-Ka-Bar commercial-grade one in the other. You'll feel the difference.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-10-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,953,230 times
Came across this bad boy at a local knife shop - Emerson Knives

Anyone know much about Emerson? Felt great in the hand and almost bought it. LOVED IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation