U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 02:14 PM

234 posts, read 822,911 times
Default building 45 degree deck stairs - how to?

I have a 4' x 5 ' rectangular deck that leads to my front door and I would like to see some plans on how to build "wrap around" deck stairs.

I would build the stairs 3 feet wide on the 4' side of the deck and 4 feet wide on the 5' foot side of the deck. The run is about 32 inches and the rise is about 27" if I recall correctly.

The problem I have is how do I build stringers that are in the center of 45 degree angle where the two section of stairs would meet. I would guess that I would have to mitre in two opposite facing 22.5 degree cuts on the one stringer. But I would guess that I would still be beyond 16" spacing of the stringers.

I searched the web, but I am not finding any help.

regards,
Leggo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM

70 posts, read 140,689 times
My husband and I just built a deck with steps like that on our house. I believe he put two at the corner facing opposite like you said. Here's a pic of ours

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/isew4kidz/OurHouse002.jpg (broken link)

Not sure if that is what you are talking about.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:12 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,832,835 times
Give me a bit more to go on (post a pic?)

I may be able to help you with the layout, if not the actual beam size (I do not have timber experience. Mostly Concrete and Steel!! )

You don't want to build a 20 story deck, do you?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:54 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,144,280 times
If you can give me the height on each level you have, I can help you out I believe, done quite a bit of deck building in my years.

Something you are going to need to consider, is local codes, you should find out what minimum width and height of steps are allowed. If you just go ahead and do this without doing some checking you could run into problems with your local building board or later on if you are wanting to sell the home.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 PM

11,490 posts, read 25,992,256 times
Building stairs to a different width of the treads can be a recipe for disaster. People have unconscious expectations that all stair risers and treads in a run of stairs are exactly the same. At least have a handrail on the 4' side where the steps would be shorter.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 PM

If you height and run are correct, your step height should 6.75", each tread should be 11.5" wide with a 3/4" over hang, this will give you a total 31.25" run.

In making your stringers I suggest you use a 24"x15" square, you can buy stair guages that will clamp on your square, set one at height of steps and other at depth of tread, this will give you a perfect layout when tracing on your treads prior to cutting.

You must add depth of backer board if using those in your tread depth of course. And your bottom tread height must be adjusted for thickness of treads.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:44 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,832,835 times
Hmm, I always thought the typical stair run was 7/12 (The slopes seem the same here, just the number of divisions seems different...)

Old 06-18-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Hmm, I always thought the typical stair run was 7/12 (The slopes seem the same here, just the number of divisions seems different...)
Yes that is the typical, but the 7" step in this case would make for not all steps being of equal height, which you want. And the 12" tread is standard if using a 3/4" backer. It all depends if you are using a backer. And most times you do not cut your tread the depth of the actual tread measures as most people want an overhang on their steps especially if carpeting or if using bull nosed treads.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:04 AM

234 posts, read 822,911 times
thankyou everyone for your replies.

I'm not home right now and won't be until Monday. I will get the exact measurements then.

Here are some answers for you.

Isew4kids -- your pic exactly shows the corner I am talking about -- just that my deck is 4' by 5'

Sandhill Guru - My town has no real building codes for decking - so no worries there.

Harry - I plan on putting railings on both sides.

In my limited stair building experience I would lay the stringers 16" on center for a "straight" set. I am trying to get my head around if I run a center stringer right off the 45 degree angle - then at the bottom step the center stringer and the stringers immediately to the left and right of that center stringer will be further out then the 16" on center. How would I close that gap an obtain a 16" OC at the bottom?

Ninja - I will see if I can get the wifes digital camera running to post a pic.

Thanks a bunch.

Leggo

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 16,423 times
Hi Leggo,

Did you build your wrap around steps? We too want to build some wrap around steps off our deck, which is 1500cm wide on one side & 2300cm on the other, height from ground is around 700cm I think the steps need to be 200-300 depth & width 400cm.
But we are not sure where to start are you able to give me some ideas as to how to build them?????
Is it best to concrete in some posts to hold up the stringers????
Kind Regards
Angel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation