U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM

98 posts, read 306,405 times

Advertisements

Seems like almost every hobby I have, or want to have costs a fortune:\

Old cars: Just paid $2700 for a brake job and oil change
Scuba
Sailing
Shooting
Travel

Preparing to go skiing for the first time and take the motorcycle safety class in prep for buying a bike.

Apparently, if it doesn't require a ton of expenses, I'm not interested.

Need to work on that.

Paul
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 PM

11,538 posts, read 9,748,429 times
Default Lego!

I've been buying Lego for 30+ years.

I now have enough to literally build me a small cabin out of them. Just need the land.

Lego is for all ages!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:10 AM

6,018 posts, read 4,618,999 times
Don't get into flying or pursue pilot certificates. Before you know it you'll be many tens of thousands of dollars into it, especially if you pursue advanced certs. Planes can run hundreds per hour.

I have a large collection of exotic carnivorous plants. Equipment costs such as lighting, temp control, etc adds up. Not to mention the plants themselves can get pricey. I figure I'm several thousands of dollars into this one.

Photography is a favorite hobby of mine, man I want a nicer camera but don't have the bucks.

Skiing is pricey. Lift ticket prices alone are ridiculous, let alone gear costs.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM

522 posts, read 915,754 times
Default Cowboy Shooting!

Cowboy shooting is a little expensive to get into, then if you buy your ammo every month, not so bad if you reload......but then it seems like you want to upgrade you guns or try new ones every so often, so it can get expensive. Lots of fun though and well worth it.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,492,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Cowboy shooting is a little expensive to get into, then if you buy your ammo every month, not so bad if you reload......but then it seems like you want to upgrade you guns or try new ones every so often, so it can get expensive. Lots of fun though and well worth it.
I agree, and feel the same way about the other shooting sports, as well. Lately it's become even more expensive with all the ammo and component shortages and price hikes that have resulted.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I agree, and feel the same way about the other shooting sports, as well. Lately it's become even more expensive with all the ammo and component shortages and price hikes that have resulted.
One thing the price hikes did do, is to get me into reloading....been loving it ever since.....just can't stand to see an empty brass casing.

in a year or two, I figure there will be a bunch of cheap used stuff as people start to unload it.....we'll see.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:16 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,492,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
One thing the price hikes did do, is to get me into reloading....been loving it ever since.....just can't stand to see an empty brass casing.

in a year or two, I figure there will be a bunch of cheap used stuff as people start to unload it.....we'll see.
Reloading, a way to save money on ammo? I agree that it can be, but you better do a lot of it, and a lot of shooting, too. I reload because I enjoy it, but haven't come anywhere near breaking even yet. With the rise in ammo prices, I probably will someday, but it's enjoyable, so that's why I do it. I was into reloading to the tune of over $800 before I ever turned out a round from my press. Yes it can be done for a lot less, but I wanted to get the best equipment I could at the onset. Once you factor in the cost of a press, dies, scales, calipers, a tumbler, polishing media, lubricant, brass, powder, primers, bullets, and most importantly, a couple of good reference manuals, it takes a sizable investment just to get started.

Be careful with empty cases you might pick up at the range. Many of them will be safe, but some may have been discarded because their useful life has reached its end. Depending on how they're loaded, this could happen in as few as five or six loadings, or possibly even fewer. Be certain to examine the cases very carefully, and take careful measurements of all critical areas before reloading.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM

125 posts, read 167,896 times
Ham Radio, I Bought my equipment and cost U$S3100 is very very expensive, but, I have radio, for all my life.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 PM

my buddy has a dillon 550, which is my first experience with reloading. We both shoot cowboy once or twice a month, with atleast one practice shoot, so we do go though a lot of bullets every month. In the begining I was just going to use his, but I bought a lee loader, then went to a RCBS Jr3, and not only use the Jr 3. I like the fact that I handle the brass 4-5 times, during the loading process, so I have a better chance to find any defects.....and I just like loading with it. I now load for everything I have with the Jr3, less the 12 guage.

Yes, brass found at the range can be unfit to use. I already found that out. Always inspect, inspect, inspect...

Old 08-27-2009, 11:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,196,021 times
Scuba diving and deep sea fishing.

I guess I need to get my fill before I move off the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation