Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
They will simply shoot the trespassing dog(s) on sight. End of dog problem, end of story.
In which country do you live? Sounds like someplace in either sub-Saharan Africa or Southern Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In which country do you live? Sounds like someplace in either sub-Saharan Africa or Southern Asia.
USA. Wyoming.

And the same common courtesy, laws, and regulations regarding my livestock and your dogs are to be found in CO, UT, NM, AZ, KS, NE, ID, MT, TX ... and in many other states where farming and ranching are recognized as a value to society and protected.

Your comments suggest somebody who doesn't understand the difference between "a fart" which may be of temporary annoyance to my nose and a dog killing my livestock for sport on my property ... which is a permanent loss to my financials and livestock.

What city do you live in? One where all the meat is made in the back room of the supermarket and no animals are hurt in the process?

Last edited by sunsprit; 08-26-2009 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
(snip)

Or, you can build your perimeter to stop outside animals from getting inside.

It definitely should be your neighbors job to stop their animals from leaving their property, but since it isn't going to happen, you may have to fix the problem yourself. I obviously vote to build your perimeter better A few man-hours might save you a lot of problems in the future.

(snip) .
My property is in a "fence out" state, where I have the responsibility to fence out unwanted LIVESTOCK from my pastures and fields. And so we have a legally compliant 5-wire barbed wire fence around the perimeter of our place.

However, to "fence out" predator dogs would require ... according to my vet and the county animal control ... a 6' high chain link fence, buried into the ground, and with an electric fence wire at the top and close to the bottom
of the fence.

Hello? my place isn't very big by local standards for a ranch, but I'd need over 5 miles of perimeter fence ... and then I have the problem that a wide creek which can be seasonally very deep (and sometimes just a trickle) must be fenced without obstructing the water flow several places as it crosses into and out of my place.

The BID price to construct this fence was over $8.00/ft, or $42,240 per mile. The property isn't a flat pancake of land, but has gullies, ravines, bluffs, open meadows, tree'd areas, swales, and some flat areas at the edge of my irrigated farmland.

A secondary problem presents in that the winds blow a lot around here and bring in tumbleweeds and debris which accumulates on a barrier fence like this very quickly (indeed, this is even a problem on the barbed wire fences, which are much less of an obstruction). When the debris accumulates, it stresses the fence to failure in a high wind ... and it also causes a build-up of blown dirt in a very short period of time. It's not uncommon for a barrier to build up of several feet high, and in some locations, even a wire fence disappears into the new embankment in a matter of a few years. So, the constant maintenance chore and labor expense to deal with such a fence truly makes it impractical.

If you think I'd consider (let alone economically justify) spending a quarter of a million dollars just to fence out predator dogs ... you've got another think coming. I can load my 30.06 for less than $1 per 150 gr. round ... that's a much better cost/benefit ratio.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
If you think I'd consider (let alone economically justify) spending a quarter of a million dollars just to fence out predator dogs ... you've got another think coming. I can load my 30.06 for less than $1 per 150 gr. round ... that's a much better cost/benefit ratio.
.223 is cheaper.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
And I'd take such taking of a statement as an indication somebody needs to learn basic human civility.
Realistically, this would be somewhat hypocritical. Basic human civility would certainly include protecting a neighbor's (considerable) investment and livelihood from one's own negligence. Agree?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
My property is in a "fence out" state, where I have the responsibility to fence out unwanted LIVESTOCK from my pastures and fields. And so we have a legally compliant 5-wire barbed wire fence around the perimeter of our place.

However, to "fence out" predator dogs would require ... according to my vet and the county animal control ... a 6' high chain link fence, buried into the ground, and with an electric fence wire at the top and close to the bottom
of the fence.

Hello? my place isn't very big by local standards for a ranch, but I'd need over 5 miles of perimeter fence ... and then I have the problem that a wide creek which can be seasonally very deep (and sometimes just a trickle) must be fenced without obstructing the water flow several places as it crosses into and out of my place.

The BID price to construct this fence was over $8.00/ft, or $42,240 per mile. The property isn't a flat pancake of land, but has gullies, ravines, bluffs, open meadows, tree'd areas, swales, and some flat areas at the edge of my irrigated farmland.

A secondary problem presents in that the winds blow a lot around here and bring in tumbleweeds and debris which accumulates on a barrier fence like this very quickly (indeed, this is even a problem on the barbed wire fences, which are much less of an obstruction). When the debris accumulates, it stresses the fence to failure in a high wind ... and it also causes a build-up of blown dirt in a very short period of time. It's not uncommon for a barrier to build up of several feet high, and in some locations, even a wire fence disappears into the new embankment in a matter of a few years. So, the constant maintenance chore and labor expense to deal with such a fence truly makes it impractical.

Just playing devil's advocate, but how much would it cost to run a strand of electrified wire along the base of the section of fence shared with your neighbor? I realize that this is probably more than impractical, but just curious. Perhaps the neighbor would split the cost with you if he understood how relatively inexpensive those 150 grains are?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:28 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
I guess that is the same problem as the other guy.

He does not seem like a bad neighbor, but he needs to appreciate the situation, maybe you can pffer to help him fix his fence? Since it is something that effects you both, and the alternative would be a bunch of dead dogs and an unhappy neighbor, teaming up and (possibly) sharing expanse might make it so that you both get what you want.

You get your deer hunting ground (which I am not too keen on, but to each their own), and he gets a fence that works to keep his abandoned dogs under control.

EAP, you are trolling. Quit it. Poeple are posting paragraphs of situations and information and you come in with one line like "What country are you from?". You know better than that. You also know that dogs CAN become worrisome if they are just left to do what they want.

I am not for the wanton killing of these animals, but things have to be kept in check.

In all fairness though guys, aside from the deer, the whole livestock thing is a tricky issue. We come in and take land from these animals that are used to their own environment so we can raise animals that would not be able to survive very well on their own if it was not for our protection, and they get shot whenever they get around those barriers.

I kinda feel for the wolves in that respect.

But formerly domesticated dogs? That is another issue, and having them molest livestock, NOT for their survival, but for fun? That is just plain evil.

And shockingly human.

But that is a whole other topic!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, but how much would it cost to run a strand of electrified wire along the base of the section of fence shared with your neighbor? I realize that this is probably more than impractical, but just curious.
Not a solution, no matter what the cost ... solar fence charger about $150, wire 880' about $50, ground rod $35, and then another $50 in stand-offs ... plus the labor to install all and then maintain it from the weeds and debris. I've got 5 miles to run ... it adds up.

The neighbor's property that we've had dog problems with are anywhere from 1 mile away to 10 miles away, and are not adjacent to our perimeter.

As mentioned by another poster, the dogs do travel ... and instinctively gather up into packs if they can find another to join up with for their sport.

Many folks do not realize that their "fido" who is so sweet and lovable and even tempered at home and wouldn't swat a fly reverts into a hunting machine when out of sight from the home property and given the opportunity to chase ... if not kill ... livestock.

I've had neighbors who kept poultry for their own consumption that was guarded by their Great Pyr ... but when that loose dog came over to my place, 3 miles away ... it was "open season" on my chickens, guinea hens, and ducks. I saw that dog wipe out 35 guinea hens in a matter of two minutes one morning. The dog was very friendly, and allowed me to load her up in my pick-up truck, where I took her back to the owner and he paid me for the bird losses ... and promised he'd keep his dog secured. The next time the dog came over to my place, a week later, it wiped out the rest of my guineas. I took the dog to town to the animal shelter and filed my complaint about the dog running loose and killing livestock. The owner was notified, paid the fines and retrieved his dog ... I got no compensation for my birds that time or a 65 mile round trip and my time. A week later, the dog was shot by another neighbor when he caught the dog chasing his chickens and killing several ... which meant the dog had to go through two enclosure fences to get to them, the inner fence being a fine chicken wire mesh but loose enough at the bottom to allow that big dog to squirm her way into the chicken yard. At $5 to $12 invested in each bird, it gets expensive real fast to lose poultry to a dog ... who is only killing the birds for sport, not a meal.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
.223 is cheaper.
Absolutely.

But it means I've got to buy another rifle and loading dies and invest in more brass and bullets for the reloading bench.

Much more cost effective right now to stay with the one caliber which works for my big game, coyotes, and predator problem.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Yes, but to what end? If somebody farts in your direction, is that grounds to kill them?

That is in no way applicable here!!!! lol ( how long did you even have to think of something that far out there!)

Farting is not chasing away the animals and possible income from hunting like the dogs are.

Shoot the dogs that are chasing the deer, that will be the end of it. If your neighbor comes over and says have you seen my dogs, I would reply "nope, they probably ran off, you know how dogs will be dogs!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation