Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

How many people here have hobbies for a few years and then lose enthusiasm and pick up a new hobby for which you again have a lot of enthusiam, eventually burn out and pick up a new one, repeating the pattern throughout your adult life? Are the hobbies of a serial hobbyist related or wildly different from each other? Roughly speaking, about how long does each hobby last?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Guilty. They don't usually wear off completely, but I usually get over-interested in them initially, then burn out fairly fast. My interest usually lasts about a year or so, give or take.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I find most of my hobbies and interests evolve rather than dropping one completely and picking up on something totally different. For example, I've had an interest in Mythology since I was 12... that evolved into an interest in ancient history and that evolved into later periods of history (such as the Tudor era). I then got involved in my genealogy which spurred an interest in more modern history (18th and 19th century).

My profession/hobby in photography briefly spurred an interest in digital scrapbooking. I've lost interest in the scrapbooking now though so I do lose interest in some hobbies, others I think I keep for life but they do evolve.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
What began as a hobby for me in my 30s had me returning to school in my 50s to earn both a BFA and MFA in studio arts. But "arting about" still remains a hobby for me rather than a livelihood. I never thought I'd be able to support myself with my art, and didn't try, even after spending all of that time in school. It was great fun, and remains just that - great fun. And yes, I do occasionally sell something, which revives my interest.

ART to me means a combination of hobbies including those normally considered craft work, so there is always something new to be attempted if I follow my muse.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:55 PM

231 posts, read 630,314 times
Interesting thread. My problem is I have so many interests & hobbies, I don't have time to enjoy them all. Let's see. I used to take a lot of pictures and got into developing my own film, printing pictures, custom work etc. Even did color film and prints. Really good with mechanical things and building things. High school industrial arts teacher for a while. Went into Army. Lots of things to do there! Learned a lot specialized skills. Got SCUBA certified. Got to the point where needed to buy my own equipment and couldn't afford it. Didn't dive again for 30+ years.

Then parachuting. Fun until got to point where I needed to buy my own equipment. Dislocated my shoulder on one jump and decided to take up flying. Then it was computers. Brought the first Tandy Model 80 sold in SE USA. Can you imagine $499 for a B&W monitor that had uppercase only? Had 4k of RAM, Basic in ROM and cassette storage. Flying continued to go well and after obtaining my CFI, went to Army flight school and several thousand hours later basically got promoted out of a flying slot. Did well with the computer stuff, advancing knowledge and technology.

After the Army did a long tour as a well published author on the client-server, ethernet networks and relational database stuff. Matched that up with an MBA to become a business consultant and enjoyed yet another exciting tour. Along the way, bought a sail boat, then a bigger sail boat, then a bigger sail boat and then a 54' top-sail schooner which I chartered after earning my USCG Captains license. Charter and daytime job lead to developing an interest in financial planning which led to 2+ years of studing investment, retirement, estate, income tax and insurance planning and picked up the RFP designation along the way along with the Series 6, 63 & 65 FINRA licenses.

Almost forgot, bowled a 299 one night in competition! Got the ring to prove it. And now, I am back to substutite teaching & maybe teach full time. Have my own shop where I make log furniture and provide a fee based financial planning service. Last flew before the first Gulf War, last dive was about 8 years on the Spegal Grove off Key Largo, FL. Sold the schooner 6 years ago and now boatless with a license.

Still do the computer stuff. Acquired a CNC 5-axis milling machine to combine woodworking with computer skills. Still like to write. Do financial planning articles for clients. Have a book in draft but its on the 'adult' side of things. It's fiction. I could only wish. And I am sure I have left out something. My problem is that I have the skills and licenses for about 6 independent career paths. And I still can't decide what I want to do ...... Maybe I'll get married. Well, done that twice already.... Maybe I'll write a Web application to calculate the stardard deviation, Beta & E(r) for a ten security portfolio. Well, did that too. I guess I'll finish that proposal to provide financial advisor services for a non-profit, turn-in the application for sub teaching at a local high school and finish the cedar flower planter box for the girlfriend before she shows up next week. And then there is Tuesday.......

Old 08-30-2009, 10:37 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Each of my hobbies lasts roughly a year of "full-burn" (100% devotion) and then drop off dramatically, but I try to maintain the equipment and knowledge to be able to dive back in quickly.

I've realized that I gravitate toward hobbies that require licenses, certificates, etc. to fully enjoy. I don't think its for the exclusiveness...I just want to do more exotic things which is inherently exclusive (read: $$$) but I guess that goes for a lot of fun things.

If anyone is looking for a co-pilot, deckhand, etc...etc... send a pm.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
I have a few different hobbies, I enjoy all, at different times of the year,
for example furniture refinishing , I save for warmer months as well a s yard sale hunting,
other hobbies are reserved for winter months.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
[quote=LauraC;10512241]How many people here have hobbies for a few years and then lose enthusiasm and pick up a new hobby for which you again have a lot of enthusiam, eventually burn out and pick up a new one, repeating the pattern throughout your adult life? Are the hobbies of a serial hobbyist related or wildly different from each other? Roughly speaking, about how long does each hobby last?[/quote

Yeah! Guilty as charged...............
I have done goldsmithing,
leaded glass windows,
Ceramic pots,
oil painting,
water colors,
woodworking,
photography,
leather working,
balsa model making,
ship building,
pastel drawing,
macrame,
plastic models,
customizing bikes........
and now on to Kayak building!!!!!

Most last a few years and then i move on to something else. Then I return back to the original as i have all the equipment. Hard to stick on one item for a lifetime I guess.......

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
How long MUST you do something for fun, before you call it a hobby ?
What constitutes *hobby* anyway ?

I am interested in MANY things, dabble in all sort of things but only am good at a few ....
But that is just MY opinion ..
Any other person may say I am really just fumbling .....

- I used to fly as a profession, now I do it for fun.
Is that a hobby ?
- I am the cook at home, and people say I am good at it.
Is that a hobby (since I am the male) ?
- I like to take an occasional drive thru the country,
especially during the time when the leaves change colour.
Is that a hobby ?
- I am very handy at home fixing things, so I have umpteen tools.
And not the cheapy stuff, because I like to think that you get what you pay for.
Does that mean I collect tools as a hobby ?

Looking up the definition of *hobby* it mentions *fun* as a parameter.
<<<outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.>>>
I fix things at home, because I think I can do it better then
those whom I have to pay for the work to be done.
That does NOT make it fun ...
(You buy one home, you actually buy two ... the other being Home Depot ...)
It also mentions that it is something you do NOT do as a profession.
Is flying today, when money allows for it, now all of a sudden considered as *hobby* ?
If I want to go somewhere, I could take the car, but I prefer to rent a plane ....

Now when you ask me, what have you done, with the parameter mentioned above for quite a while ?
I have to say, *Take Care Of My Grandkids*,
because they are first and foremost in my life.
Does this then qualify that activity as a *hobby* ?
I ... really think so, in my case, because I have fun doing it,
especially now with the grandkids ( primarily for pleasure ...)
Proof .... They leave at the end of the day .... !!!!
Raising 5 children was a chore and a half .....

Nuff sed.

Last edited by irman; 09-01-2009 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many people here have hobbies for a few years and then lose enthusiasm and pick up a new hobby for which you again have a lot of enthusiam, eventually burn out and pick up a new one, repeating the pattern throughout your adult life? Are the hobbies of a serial hobbyist related or wildly different from each other? Roughly speaking, about how long does each hobby last?
*smiley raises her hand to be counted*

wildly different & brief with lots of supplies. at least it looks like i could accomplish something.

actually i hold on to everything & renew the interest in spurts here & there. it's a messy affair.

kate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation