Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 08:26 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times

Advertisements

I was thinking building my own kayak. I have read some sites that make it look easy. However, we all know how truth in advertising works!

Any personal experiences on this hobby????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
No, but I drew up full-sized plans up for a canoe... about a decade ago. I doubt I'll ever build it, but I'd like to.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:45 AM

Canoes are my next choice to build. I will always remember the camp canoes we used up on the lakes in Minnesota.
They were designed similar to the northern Algonquin, Ojibways or Chippewas birch bark boats. It had very tall curving prows. Very elegant.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
My dad and I used to build jon boats. Kind of a flat bottomed canoe. Real fun to build and get wet in.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My dad and I used to build jon boats. Kind of a flat bottomed canoe. Real fun to build and get wet in.
Yeah, those are great fishing boats with their flat bottoms. They kind of remind me of the swamp boats in Florida.

I wonder if they have a jon boat that sails? Although it might need more of a keel to cut through the water instead of sliding on the surface.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:33 PM

54 posts, read 208,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Yeah, those are great fishing boats with their flat bottoms. They kind of remind me of the swamp boats in Florida.

I wonder if they have a jon boat that sails? Although it might need more of a keel to cut through the water instead of sliding on the surface.
The slightest breath of wind on a flatbottom boat sail would flip it no problem.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:15 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
The way to make a flatbottom boat into a sailboat is a modest sized sail rig and a leeboard on a rail. Look up some of the sailing rigs on old sailing canoes or class sailboats such as a "naples sabot" to see how these were rigged up. You'll also see leeboards on boats designed for sailing in "thin waters" where they have a lot of advantages over centerboards and daggerboards. Phil Bolger designed a number of inexpensive boats for this type of use to be home built. Ted Geary designed a modest 18' flatbottom sailboat for sailing in shallow bay areas, the "Geary 18" ... used to be a sizable racing fleet of these mostly home-built craft out on the West Coast. Flat bottom sailboats abound ... while a "jon boat" might not be an ideal platform, it could be sailed with the right equipment (leeboard and rudder) and shouldn't be especially tender to sail, although the hull shape would probably not support much sail rig and the performance might be very marginal upwind ... but I'll bet that it could do OK in flat water and off the wind sailing angles. You'd be surprised at how balanced a sail rig can be in modest conditions where a jon boat would be an appropriate boat for thin water and breezes.

Yes, I've built a number of dinghy's in the 8' through 19' range ... and spent a lot of hours assisting in the construction of wood sailboats up through 38'. Also helped build a number of kit kayaks and canoes, which is a good way to start on wood boat construction. A great resource is to get back issues of "Wooden Boat" magazine. Lots of tips on tools, techniques, actual projects, articles on designers and various boats evaluated, and advertisers with kits and plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation