Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM

519 posts, read 1,049,409 times

Advertisements

I put this under hobbies because it is a sometime hobby of mine.

Aside from the little things like holding open doors for people, offering my seat etc I was hoping for some more pro-active ways of being good to others.

Sometimes when I am shopping I see people waiting at the taxi rank or bus stop and I have been known to give free lifts to people.

My husband got mad last time I did it so I haven't done it in a while, but people are always so grateful - especially here when it gets really hot in summertime.

I'd like to do something different but really helpful - something that my husband won't get mad about

Any ideas? What kind deeds do you do for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,976 times
What about just holding the door for the other person?

I like to help without any venture of receiving credit. That is my greatest help.. Maybe some other person will see what I am doing to help and they will get the idea....Thanks for an inspiring post.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post

Aside from the little things like holding open doors for people, offering my seat etc I was hoping for some more pro-active ways of being good to others.

ummm... Synergy1, that was already mentioned in her post!

How about paying the toll of the person behind you.
Donate blood.
Cut your neighbor's lawn.
Rake leaves for someone who can't.
Volunteer... pick your cause.
Smile.
Send someone a hand written note of thanks.
Buy a lottery ticket for a stranger.
Put some coins in someone else’s parking meter.
Walk your friend’s dog.
Compliment your waiter/waitress to the manager.
Give a huge tip to someone when they least expect it.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,034 times
What a good person you are tumblebug, but I do hope you are careful about picking up people in your vehicle. The suggestions so far are good. Here's some things I do:

1. Volunteer for the food pantry/food bank in my community. You can also volunteer to set up a can drive in your community to benefit the food pantry/bank.
2. Each time I shop I pick up one can of food to donate to the food pantry.
3. When I'm at a stop light and I see a person with a sign saying "I work for food", I throw at least one dollar out the window but I never let them get close to my car where they can try to open the door (I have power windows) .... I wrap a quarter in the middle of the dollar(s) so it gives it weight to toss out the passenger side window.
4. I take an Angel off the underprivileged childens' Christmas Tree at my local Walmart store and buy presents for that child. You would be surprised how many kids put "I want a coat or shoes or socks, etc".
5. I started a news blog for my small town so that residents or former residents can know what is going on in town.
6. Sometimes I leave small amounts of money with the manager of McDonalds, Burger King, Hardees, Wendy's, etc with instructions to give some to any person who appears to not have enough money to eat or if they are short money. I don't leave it with the cashier...only the manager.
7. If a person ahead of me in the grocery line doesn't have enough money, I will make up the difference if it's not really big.

Note I don't have a lot of money as I live on Social Security disability, but I intend to share part of what I have with persons. Someday it might be me that is in need.

I hope you find a way which will suit you. Thank you for caring about people.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,843 times
Visit a lonely senior in a nursing home or in their own home.

Do shopping, errands, transportation for seniors who no longer drive.

Provide respite care or assistance for someone who is caring for an aged parent or spouse or other disabled family member requiring 24 hr. care.

Be a Big Sister.

Volunteer at a children's hospital.

Work at a no kill animal shelter.

A warm smile, a kind word and a listening ear goes a long way.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,478 times
Awhile ago I was at the store, and the guy in front of me had three kids, some eggs, bread, milk, and his EBT food stamp card was not working. He also had some diapers, and his credit card got rejected. I smiled at him, asked the checker to just add his groceries to mine, and he went on his way. I felt so good about that. So, maybe if you see someone ahead of you at the store, who looks pretty down on their luck, maybe just offer to buy their groceries. This could be very nice this time of year, with the holidays coming up.

Awhile ago, a nieghbor gave me $100, because I had taken her to the hospital, (and stayed with her all night long in the ER) which I would have done regardless. But it was nice to just recieve a random gift like that.

It is nice when you see elderly people, to ask them if they need assistance. Many of my patients need help, they can't see very well, but are too proud to ask for help, they are so grateful when someone helps them out.

Ah, the holidays, tons of opportunities for random acts of kindness...do you have an elderly neighbor? Maybe they would like help decorating their home, putting up lights...or do you know someone with kids? Maybe they would like an opportunity to go shopping for an afternoon...It is always nice to go visit at a senior home, many patients just like some one who comes by and brings them some socks, or candy, or have a coke with them and listen to what is going on with them.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
Acts of Kindness | Welcome
Random Acts of Kindness | raok.org
The Good Deeds Organisation | Share your good deeds

Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,390 times
My usual way of paying it forward is by striving to be a very considerate driver. Also, I give free smiles to the panhandlers. I don't begrudge them a nice day.

Kate

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,020 times
Here's one that a lady did to me back when I was in college.

I was walking down the street and this lady flags me down. She then handed me a loaf of bread and said....HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS!

Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,211 times
There are some great ideas on this thread!

-Volunteer at the library.
-Volunteer at a park district.
-Help drive veterans and seniors to their appointments.
-Help the developmentally disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation