U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 PM

427 posts, read 894,597 times

Advertisements

No bitching this this post I swear. There is one hobby that fascinates me. I guess once a month these grown men meet at this "minreg" banquet hall off Ulmerton. They race these little radio controlled cars on thin carpet that's layed out. The thing is, they only meet there once a month. So I don't know how they get so good at racing these little toy cars. Another thing was they smoked in the gym type building, but it wasn't too bad with the doors open. Well there I said it, that's my dream hobby. You know, they keep making these RC toys so big now, if you're going to go the bigger route, may as well get something you can ride on yourself. I already have that, a car. Gotta go.

Matt
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:51 AM

15,412 posts, read 46,487,582 times
Check out the past issues of "Make" magazine. They have an article on combining those RC cars and wireless tv, so that you can have goggles that give the experience of being the driver of the car.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,576 times
Nice a carpet track.. Very nice. We don't have very many down here in Florida.

Check out Car Action.. You would be suprised at how many grownup partake in this hobby. Because of the costs, I would say a good 70% is made up of adults.

Technology over the last couple of years have made them better and a little bit lower priced.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 AM

3,855 posts, read 10,882,890 times
I'm an RC Car buff from years back. I'm 31 now and have put that hobby on the shelf since I was about 23 but I had my first real RC kit car when I was about 11 years old.

The recent developments in brushless electric motor and LiPo battery tech are nothing short of amazing compared to what we had back in the day.

I used to race off-road trucks and buggies. That was some wild stuff right there. I streeted an RC-10 B3 and put street tires and changed the gearing to give it high top end speed. It was very fast. I could whip that thing around like a pro. My parents were amazed. My dad couldn't even drive it in a straight line...or keep it on the road for that matter.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 AM

4,184 posts, read 5,499,031 times
Modern RC cars are not what I would consider a toy. Not by a long shot.

There is an RC monster truck that you can convert to something resembling an ATV. A little excessive in my mind, but cool at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation