Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Okay, not TOTALLY new to camping...

But SO and I are planning to take a camping trip this summer, and it's been YEARS and years...since I was a kid, really, and the adults did all the prep at that time. So in preparing, I'm proceeding as if I WERE totally new to camping, just to be safe.

While we're still in the early planning stages, here are some of the details:

*We plan to go in summer, to South Dakota (Badlands area, most likely), in either early June or early July.

*We are planning nothing too hardcore...easy hikes, etc. This is going to be more of the "peaceful, relaxing" basic camping-type outdoor experience, not the "EXTREEEEEEME NATURE! SURVIVAL MODE!!! CHALLENGE THE ELEMENTS!!! WRESTLE A GRIZZLY AND RAPPEL DOWN A CLIFF FACE!!! RAAAAAHR!" type experience.

*We plan to tent camp, and we plan to cook outdoors, with a camp stove if we camp somewhere that disallows campfires.

*We plan to take our dog, a medium-sized beagle/hound mix.

*We plan to be gone 5-7 days.

*We will probably do a couple of short-term "practice" runs on weekends at places close to home, as well.

So, what do I need to know? Tips? Advice? Assume I know nothing of camping, square one. Thinking attire, equipment, basic info, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:17 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Don't forget some plastic as a ground cover under the tent. For water, for a while I had one of those 5 gallon Igloo water coolers. Never used that much so we bought one of those collapsible water carriers and set it on the edge of the table. Takes up a lot less space when packing. One thing we're switching to when we go camping this summer is a pole to hook to your propane tank and you can hook your stove and lantern both up at the same time. Only thing is you'll have to use a tank like on your gas grill instead of the little cans of propane. A friend has had one for several years and loves it. Also citronella candles for the mosquitoes. If you're not camping real close to anybody else, I've used that Raid Yard Guard for bugs. Works good for several hours. We also take some games. Yahtzee, Rummikub, cards, etc. Something to do at night. If you have kids, no electronic games. We took a radio to listen to and looked over at the campsite across from us watching TV. As far as cell phones? Keep them in the glove compartment or someplace safe. Just to be used for emergencies, not sitting around talking on them all day. Buy groceries before you go. Stores near tourist areas sometimes cost more.
You're taking a dog camping? Oh, well!
I'd start looking now to see what there is to do in the area. Make note of things to see and do. Don't make a schedule of things to do. We get up in the morning, eat breakfast, then decide what we're doing that day. More fun that way. I camped with my family for about 20 years. After moving out and getting married, I missed out on camping for several years. Took my present wife camping twice this summer. Her first camping trip in 31 years! And she can't wait to go again!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I just looked back and saw you're going to take a week long trip and several short ones before the long one. When I was little that's what my parents did. We lived near Kentucky Lake, the largest artificial lake east of the Mississippi River. We took at least 3 weekend camping trips somewhere around the lakes. Then we would take one week long camping trip each summer. For us the Smoky Mountains was a good trip. Also camped at Myrtle Beach, S. C., Biloxi, Mississippi, and a lot more places.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
1. Beware of leaving food out (as my SO and I did on our last camping trip). Raccoons and assorted furry things will come and raid your camp and steal all your ****. Having the dog around may keep them at bay though.

2.Not sure how bad the bugs are in your area, but we suffered. Bring mosquito repellant, if you might encounter them where you're going. We lost our can of spray and were covered in large red welts by day 2.

3.Check the weather before you go and make sure you are prepared if it rains. Yeah, we also neglected this and woke up at 5 a.m. during a downpour, which soaked through the tent and made us flee to the car.

4.Speaking of the tent, make sure you know how to construct it properly. 'Cuz we didn't.

5. Another thing, when gathering firewood, watch out for snakes. Some of them look like pieces of wood but when you go to pick them up, you figure out that they are actually large serpents. At that point, you should run away.

6. Lighting fires and cooking weenies was the best part of the trip. Make sure you have your supplies...food, coolers, materials to make fire, etc.
Have fun!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
For what it's worth, this thread should probably have been posted in the Travel/Camping and RV'ing forum. You should check over there to see what has already been posted.

My first recommendation is to make a checklist of everything you think you'll need. After you complete the list, go over it again, and add the things you may have forgotten - can opener? salt? matches?

After that, find someone that you know that goes camping regularly. Have them check your list, and add the things they suggest. Inevitably, there always seems to be something that you forget that you'll need on the trip. TP? Trash bags? Ice?

If you don't already have your camping gear, you'll want to start acquiring it. For your tent, you should set it up before you go, so you'll know how to put it up and take it down. This is critical if you have to set up camp in the dark. Because South Dakota can still be pretty cold in June (and sometimes even July), make sure you get sleeping bags that are warm enough. Take a few extra blankets just in case. An air mattress under the sleeping bags helps keep you from waking up with a stiff back (or other aches and pains) in the morning. Did you remember a coffee pot and some coffee? What about cream and sugar, if you use them?

Here is a simple list to get you started:

Camp essentials:
tent
tarp (for under the tent)
hammer (for pounding in tent stakes)
vise grips (for pulling out tent stakes)
extra tent stakes (to replace broken ones that were bent when hammering them in)
heavy duty tent stakes (to replace the extra ones that are also now broken)
sleeping bags
air mattress or pad
lantern
flashlight
extra batteries
first aid kit
insect repellent
pillow
broom and dustpan (for cleaning dirt out of the tent)

camp kitchen:
stove
pots and pans
can opener
cooking utensils (tongs, spoons, forks, etc.)
cutting board
matches
spices
large pan or tub for washing dishes, etc.
campsuds or other biodegradable soap
food - prepare a menu for each meal before you go. Double check to be sure you have all ingredients.
Don't forget the pancake syrup!
ice chest
ice
drinks - in addition to cold drinks, don't forget the hot chocolate and coffee
extra water for drinking and cooking (may be available in camp)
fuel for campstove and lantern
trash bags
paper towels
dishcloth and/or sponge(s) for washing dishes

Personal items:
Clothes (use layering techniques to provide needed warmth)
Extra shoes
Extra socks
Jacket
toothbrush & toothpaste
brush and/or comb
mirror
toilet paper
"handi wipes" or baby wipes
towels
washcloth
soap
shampoo

Optional items:
games (card games work well at camp)
marshmallows and sticks for roasting them
firewood and kindling
bikes
binoculars or telescope
metal detector
GPS (for Geocaching)
Books
Fishing gear
canoe or kayak
friends and family
table and benches
chairs
screen room or EZ-up for shade
solar shower
shower enclosure
porta-potti
camera with extra film or memory cards, and extra batteries
pets and pet supplies (leashes, food and water bowls, and food and water to go in them, squeaky toys, etc.)

Finally, some would say that you should take some sort of personal protection. This can be a controversial topic, so I won't get very deep into it. The only thing I wanted to mention, is that if you bring a firearm, be sure you know the firearm laws everywhere you go, especially if you enter a National Park. There are some strict guidelines for them, as well as in other areas, too.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 01-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: added a few things

Old 01-09-2010, 12:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I got a good laugh at the big long list above, I guess to each their own. IMO simpler is better but then again I'm used to backpack camping where you have to carry anything you bring. You quickly learn "I don't need that" when you have to lug it around the woods for a few days.

If you think you might be interested in doing this a lot pay a visit to a real camping store and have a look around. You'll find some expensive stuff but it's the real deal and one time purchases if you take care of it.

• Tent. Don't skimp here and get a small one. If there is two of you get a three or four man tent at the most. With a smaller tent you have less area to leak, it's easier to set up and take down, less of a hassle getting dry if it gets wet, if it's colder it will retain your body heat better, if it's windy such as the day we sat there watching all our neighbors tents get destroyed (one actually blew away) you'll have a much better chance with lower profile than having a sail boat. The only plus I can possibly think of for larger tent is because you stand up to change your pants.

When you set the tent up try and put it on slight grade with door facing down hill. If you do get any water it's going to puddle so you'll want it to puddle near the door hopefully. Most tents will have a rain fly that goes over the top of the tent, be sure no part of it is touching the tent. Also note the seams of the rain fly usually follow the pattern of the poles and will have velcro straps to attach it to the poles. Use them because when/if it leaks it will be leaking along a seam, the water will follow the tent pole to the ground as long as the seam is against it. Inside the tent make sure nothing is touching the walls of the tent, water will go through that area if you have anything touching the walls.

Try and get it really wet if you can after you purchase it, set it up in your backyard when you expect a good soaking rain.
  • Sleeping bag, they have temperature ratings so get one that is 10 or 20 degrees below the coldest you expect to be in. One thing to keep in mind is avoid cloth or cotton type sleeping bags. Look for ones made of nylon. They dry very quickly and will keep you warm even when they get damp.
  • Cook stove, they come in a variety of shapes and sizes. For portability see MSR otherwise Coleman has plenty of options.
  • Ridgerest, this is probably the single most used piece of camping equipment I have. You can use this anywhere even for other activities like going to a football game. They even make little compact frameworks for chairs you can insert them in. It doesn't have legs but it will give you that back support. They have ones that are air and I've owned a few however they all leak eventually.
  • Find awool blanket if you can, army surplus will have these. Wool doesn't get sopping wet very easily, dries easily and will keep you warm even when its wet.
  • Inside the tent put the ridgerests down first, put the wool blanket over the top of them and you'll be very comfortable and dry.
  • Food, get one cooler for drinks and another for food. Freeze all your food before packing it. Freeze a 1 gallon container or two if you have the room for ice. Do not use bag iced or let any water accumulate inside the food cooler. Keep it in the shade and covered (here is another use for that wool blanket) and don't spend a lot of time opening and closing it. You can keep it cold for many days. I once kept food cold for 8 days on a canoe in 85 degree weather.

Of course there are other odds and ends, flashlight, lantern, pots and pans, small axe, decent knife etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
tarp (for under the tent)
That's not a bad idea but be sure the tarp is no larger than the tent footprint, water will get stuck between the tarp and tent floor. Be sure the tarp is not exposed and completely under the tent, either cut it so it's smaller than the tent footprint or fold it under.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-09-2010 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 01:45 AM

558 posts, read 818,894 times
What you carry with you depends on the type of camping you're doing and what you want out of the experience. As I see it, there are two types of camping you're likely to be doing:

I. Backpacking. This is where you plan an extended (multi-day) hike along backcountry trails and set up camp each evening along the way.
II. Base camping. This is where you set up camp in a formally designated area close to the trailhead. Your tent will most likely only be a few yards (sometimes feet) from your car or the parking area. This is the easiest and least expensive type of camping (or, can be) and is nice if you're interested mostly in short day hikes, want to do some fishing while you're out, or want to have a lot of down time.

For backpacking, you'll need a backpack that fits well on your hips (i.e. has a firm, but comfortable hip pad/belt) and doesn't dig into your shoulders. Choose one that's light, sturdy, and has side and top access. Other important considerations for a good backpacking experience, in my opinion, are as follows:

1. Plan your hikes so that you'll have opportunities to fill your water bottles daily (and don't forget to do so). I use collapsible 1L nalgene bottles, as well as a smaller one that I can access while I'm hiking. Be sure to bring a water filter.
2. Don't overdo it. If you or your partner are out of shape, don't make the mistake of planning strenuous, lengthy hikes. With this in mind, you might want to choose trails that offer many opportunities for setting up camp and collecting water so that, daily, you can adjust your time on the trail as needed. (Although, if possible, it's always a good idea to stick to an itinerary that you've left in your car or with someone else.)
3. Don't overpack. Most people take way too much stuff. Focus on keeping the weight down. Weight should be a consideration with every purchase or with anything that goes into your pack, especially when it comes to food. For exampe, it's much easier to carry a dehydrated meal than a can of pork and beans since if you choose the latter you'll be carrying the extra water weight every day you're on the trail until you consume the contents; whereas with the dehydrated meal, you're only carrying enough extra water for one or two meals daily, while refilling your bottle as you go.
4. Carry a good, sharp knife. I enjoy using swiss army knives, but we all have our preferences. You don't really need a true survival knife unless you plan on going off trail. I think it's better to shave the weight. Keep your knife with you.
5. Break in a good pair of boots ahead of time. Choose a pair that fit you well, offer good ankle support and are water repellent.
6. All food must be secured each night away from your tent. Prepare and eat the food away from the tent. Carry nothing scented into your tent. Sleep and eat in different clothes if possible.
7. Stay warm and dry. Dress in layers.

Some of the things I carry when I go backpacking are as follows:

a. paracord/line - useful for hoisting your backpack, tethering, etc; each night tie one end to a rock, the other to your pack's carry strap (not your shoulder strap) and hoist your food/pack high enough from the ground that the bears can't swat it.
b. collapsible water bottles - aside from staying hydrated, make sure you have enough water to prepare your meals
c. PUR water filter
d. MSR whisperlite internationale stove with fuel bottle and matches
e. MSR light cookware (leave one or two of the pans at the house; keep it simple)
f. dehydrated meals and snacks, chewing gum
g. insulated mug - I keep mine stuffed with a couple of teabags or coffee bags, Gatorade flavor pouches, as well as a few small baggies of herbs, spices and sugar.
h. sleeping bag and sleeping pad - Buy a mummy style bag with a temperature rating a little lower than what you expect you'll need.
i. tent - Be sure to read reviews before investing in a tent. Choose a double wall (i.e. has a full size tarp that covers it), free-standing tent that's light and has a nice vestibule.
j. first aid kit - Make sure it's lightweight. In addition to the standard contents, I usually throw in a few pain pills, sunscreen (sealed in a ziplock), plastic survival cards, a couple of chem lights and a pen light.
k. hygiene aids - hand sanitizer and/or biodegradable soap, toilet tissue (wrapped/compressed in a ziplock), trashbag, 1-2 extra ziplock bags, toothbrush, etc.
l. head lamp - I use a princeton tec quad, but there are many nice options.
m. hand towel - useful for wiping condensation from the floor of the tent
n. whistle/keychain flashlight - Keep these in one of your pockets or around your neck.
o. compass- keep in your pocket
p. knife
q. fork, spoon and foldable spatula for cooking (not always necessary)

Base camping is more forgiving. You can pretty much carry what you want. You can go all out Eddie Bauer style or you can keep it simple. When planning what to take, just try to envision or fantasize about what you'd like to do from sun up until sun down over the course of the week and pack accordingly. Most of the considerations are common sense. This is the type of camping where you can pull out the heavier propane stoves, the tarp for the picnic table, coolers for drinks and perishables, fishing gear, bikes, etc. Once again, stay warm and dry.

No matter what type of camping you do, bring a few things that are fun to cook. Think gourmet food + marshmellows!

Last edited by GhostInTheShell; 01-09-2010 at 01:59 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
My suggestion is to try out your sleeping arrangements before leaving your house.

Try out your cots, air mattresses, sleeping bags, and such to see how comfortable--or uncomfortable they are. You can do this in the living room or in your backyard. Sleep on your equipment for a few nights. Nothing's better than a good night's sleep in the fresh air--and nothing's worse than hitting the cold, hard ground in the middle of the night from a faulty air mattress that lets you down...

Other than that, invest in a simple-to-use camp stove and sort your gear into an ample supply of zip-lock bags in various sizes. This makes stowing and finding things much easier--you can see them.

I find it gets tiresome to go searching through the gear time after time trying to locate the knife or the coffee filters...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
I often do not bring food. I either buy the food when I get there with the ice, or I eat each meal at a restaurant.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Only essential no one has mentioned is
Jiffy POP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation