Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,022,349 times

Advertisements

...and there goes the hobby of listening to your scanner, gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 AM

11,039 posts, read 17,429,124 times
I listen to quite a bit on my scanner. I'm in a small town where we can still listen to the police (but the state police have gone digital where you can't pick them up), sheriff's office, fire departments, ambulance, life flight, and a few I can' t think of right now. Since I am retired from the state highway department I even have them in my scanner. My wife hated the scanner when I first moved in but now, when one of the fire departments are toned out or the police are called for something she'll look at me and say "Turn it up!" lol
City, check out this web site. Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (WI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 PM

430 posts, read 582,013 times
Default Scanner-less in Vancouver.

So my old Radio Shack PRO-34, which does 800 mHz, VHF Hi/Lo/air, and UHF is pretty much a useless antique? Too bad I've kept it in near mint condition. It runs on easily replaced rechargable AA bats, which it can recharge in the unit,, etc. It still does pick up 6m HAM, AM aircraft, 144-148 (2m) HAM, and a bunch of various government &.75m HAM stuff, but as to police stuff? It's silent now.

Does anybody buy these sorts of electronic artifacts, or do I set it up @ 300 meters and see if I can hit it with my .223?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,271,452 times
I listen here, or on my phone

Live Police, Fire, EMS, Aircraft, and Rail Scanners on RadioReference.com

Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,108,744 times
Shibumi: I'd keep it just to listen to all the services you can still hear with it.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:15 AM

8,893 posts, read 20,287,862 times
I'm a former EMT, but that was years ago. A few years ago, while living in the Charlotte, NC area, I decided to buy a cheap/small ($99) Police/Fire Scanner on the Internet. I could pick up Police/Fire dispatch transmission, but not transmission from the Unit itself and then, sometimes the transmissions were cut up/choppy. Sent the scanner back and got a better one ($200), but it was pretty intense for me to use and had to be programmed....picked up very little transmissions from anywhere, except weather. Brought that scanner with me when we moved to here in Jax, Florida. Hooked it up here and couldn't get any Law Enforcement transmissions at all and only the Fire/Rescue dispatch transmissions (but sometimes cut up like in NC). Local school bus and taxi came in good, but I didn't buy the scanner for that! Found out that our local Law Enforcement was encrypted and that Fire/Rescue was going that way as well......the "patient rights" and "detained person rights". So, I sold the scanner!
It sure isn't like the "good old days" anymore!!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,069,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I'm a former EMT, but that was years ago. A few years ago, while living in the Charlotte, NC area, I decided to buy a cheap/small ($99) Police/Fire Scanner on the Internet. I could pick up Police/Fire dispatch transmission, but not transmission from the Unit itself and then, sometimes the transmissions were cut up/choppy. Sent the scanner back and got a better one ($200), but it was pretty intense for me to use and had to be programmed....picked up very little transmissions from anywhere, except weather. Brought that scanner with me when we moved to here in Jax, Florida. Hooked it up here and couldn't get any Law Enforcement transmissions at all and only the Fire/Rescue dispatch transmissions (but sometimes cut up like in NC). Local school bus and taxi came in good, but I didn't buy the scanner for that! Found out that our local Law Enforcement was encrypted and that Fire/Rescue was going that way as well......the "patient rights" and "detained person rights". So, I sold the scanner!
It sure isn't like the "good old days" anymore!!
More and more departments are going digital (which, if the standard voice format, can be monitored with a scanner if not encrypted), and an increasing number are going to encryption. This particularly seems to be the case in Florida. Still, many large cities (New York, Chicago, etc.) still use good old analog FM for the majority of their operations.

One thing that has become a menace to scanner owners in small cities is MDCs (computers) in squad cars. Although you still get to hear "the good stuff" (when a priority call is under way), a lot of the still-interesting day-to-day activities are sent directly to the squad's computer. Takes a lot of activity off the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation