Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:46 AM

85 posts, read 177,732 times

Advertisements

Some good suggestions on here, chuch, meetup.com, etc.

I will also add: POKER. A very fun and social game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,192,872 times
Heres an idea that has worked for me - and I'm NOT a social person.

Make sure its an interest you are truly interested in..
you mentioned knitting/crocheting... good to get in with other females, etc... but may be limited to age ranges depending on your locale.
Martial arts - yeah... but I have never known anyone to use it as a "social setting" - similar to the gym... your there to work out and then leave..

For me.. I thouroughly enjoy photography so bought a nice DSLR camera.. I also LOVE car shows - I get to talk to some of the neatest people at these events.. i don't have to be in a group or with anyone else because I have my camera and I can take the pictures I want.. All the while honing my photography skills. I have also spoken to other photographers at these events and received some great advice.

Other option for you . ALL metro areas have "social mixers" related to different interests.. If you are interested in a language - look to see if there is a social group that revolves around a certain language. these groups tend to speak both English and that language, discuss different aspects of the culture of the language and organize events around it.. Russian/Italian/German - are a few groups in this metro area. Other social mixers are to learn to dance, hiking, skiing, camping, etc...

Good luck

Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 AM

5 posts, read 9,732 times
Default Everyone Needs A Hobby

If you don`t have a hobby your life is going to get some what stale doing the same routine every day. And being socially active is essential to a good healthy lifestyle.
People make hobbies out of some of the craziest things and some people will take up the most popular. To find a hobby that you think you would enjoy you should sit down and make a list of your interests that just you enjoy doing. After all you are the one you need to please here. Don`t take up a hobby just because it`s popular or because your girlfriend is doing it, put some thought into it before making any kind of commitment or investment.
If you need some suggestions I recommend visiting this site I think it will help you. http://www.NewHobbyIdea.com (broken link)
Remember though, that whatever hobby you choose always keep some time set aside for family, that`s imperative.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,591,887 times
Female motorcycling clubs; book clubs.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm new to my area and am looking to meet more people. I'd like to find a hobby that I can do in a group setting--something social, that meets once a week or so, where you're with the same people every time.
Have you try nudist social?

It's not athletic at all.

You get to open yourself up to strangers.

Lots of good Vitamin D as a side benefit.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 11:19 AM..

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,068,610 times
Find a Toastmasters club in your area. They are usually in the evenings at a community center or someplace public.

Toastmasters International - Home

Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,633 times
If you are thinking about getting serious about model trains - I can not recommend this enough
[url=http://modelrailroadforbeginners.bextel.com]bextel.com[/url]

Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,791,491 times
Have you tried flashing?

Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,388,093 times
Didn't read all responses, so, if this has been mentioned, my apologies. My suggestion is learn to play bridge. It's a great challenge. It is relatively easy to learn the basic game, but, it's unlikely anyone claims they know all there is to know. Young players are very welcome about anywhere. At one time, I took every lesson available and there were many. I play in person games in the town where I live and I also play online at BridgeBase offering free games 24/7. I learned to play at age 20 and made the comment of doing so to have something to do when I got old. When I became ill, much earlier than old age, I could play bridge. Two carloads traveled to a tournament this weekend. They played yesterday, today and probably tomorrow. Two of the players are new to the game, but, wanted to go and play in the novice sessions.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,332,982 times
While the OP is from 2010, I think it's possible someone could come looking for an answer to this question in the future, so I wanted to add to the list of suggestions.. Dog Training classes! You often stick with the same group of owners that move through the levels of classes together. If you pick a dog sport like Rally-O, Agility, Flyball, Dock Diving, Herding, Disc Dog, or Canine Freestyle - your group of students will become like a little club. You see the same people and their dogs at least once a week. There is a built in conversation opener for meeting new people (just ask about their dog!) It really can be a great way to meet a whole circle of friends!

Another variation would be to enroll in a therapy dog course as this would have the social aspects of the aforementioned classes but would end up introducing you to even more people as you become TDI certified and go out into the world to have your dog help those in need of some puppy love! (Of course you'd need to have a dog suited for this type of work in order to choose this option.)

If you're more of a cat person - there are cat training classes in limited areas! We have kitty agility in my town!! It's incredible and again, a great way to meet people with at least one thing in common - they all love their cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation