U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM

431 posts, read 2,119,754 times
Default Need suggestions for a new social hobby where I can meet new people

I'm new to my area and am looking to meet more people. I'd like to find a hobby that I can do in a group setting--something social, that meets once a week or so, where you're with the same people every time. For example, I would think that a martial art would be the perfect social hobby--meet once a week, do something in a team setting, lots of time for getting to know people. However, I've tried martial arts before and I didn't like it.

I'd love to find a hobby where I can build a skill in something--the martial arts idea was again appealing because you can advance in this sport and build skills.

I'd love to hear suggestions for social hobbies I can get involved in.

I'm a married woman in my early 30's. I'd really love to meet other gals in their 20's and 30's.

I'm very un-athletic, so any kind of sports team is definitely out. I'm also not musical and have never played an instrument (despite my username), though the idea of being in a band is appealing--so I'm looking for something that's similar to that.

Here are the ideas I have, but they really don't inspire me:

1. Knitting/crochet circle
2. Language class--I like this idea but don't really have the time to put into learning a new language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 AM

8,958 posts, read 7,128,941 times
Find ,and visit, a church of your choice to start an excellent somewhat safe network to join your new community. Get involved with school groups and sports.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:15 AM

784 posts, read 1,464,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Find ,and visit, a church of your choice to start an excellent somewhat safe network to join your new community. Get involved with school groups and sports.
+1 get involved in a community type church, Baptists are very active, but there are non-denominational churches that will welcome you and not question your beliefs too much. Churches will have exercise classes, dances, cover dish suppers, Sunday school classes, and that kind of thing. It is a good environment to meet nice people.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:15 PM

13,302 posts, read 6,007,854 times
Volunteer at 1-800-Volunteer.org, America's Address for Volunteering

Volunteer.

Do something positive with your time AND meet new people.

You can use the above website to search your area and areas of interest. There are long term volunteer opportunities as well as one time things.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,950,656 times
get some lessons~find a bridge group~ seems to fit your requirements perfectly

Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 22,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

I didn't know religion was a hobby....

Old 03-06-2010, 06:58 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,036,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0loh View Post
I didn't know religion was a hobby....
Religion is something different to everyone and can be very therapeutic as well as a sacred area of peaceful light to others.

These days churches and structured organizations for prayer offer more than just religion- they want to bring the community together, get people out and involved, and have you know your neighbor ... With all that goes on in the world today religion and church is a nice peaceful serene escape where you can think and pray silent thoughts and no one will hear you but the spiritual power up above .... I hope.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 AM

13,403 posts, read 8,992,279 times
Depending on where you live, the local Geocaching community could be very active. Where I used to live in SoCal and here in LV, there are groups that get together and go caching quite often.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,405,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
I'm new to my area and am looking to meet more people. I'd like to find a hobby that I can do in a group setting--something social, that meets once a week or so, where you're with the same people every time. For example, I would think that a martial art would be the perfect social hobby--meet once a week, do something in a team setting, lots of time for getting to know people. However, I've tried martial arts before and I didn't like it.

I'd love to find a hobby where I can build a skill in something--the martial arts idea was again appealing because you can advance in this sport and build skills.

I'd love to hear suggestions for social hobbies I can get involved in.

I'm a married woman in my early 30's. I'd really love to meet other gals in their 20's and 30's.

I'm very un-athletic, so any kind of sports team is definitely out. I'm also not musical and have never played an instrument (despite my username), though the idea of being in a band is appealing--so I'm looking for something that's similar to that.

Here are the ideas I have, but they really don't inspire me:

1. Knitting/crochet circle
2. Language class--I like this idea but don't really have the time to put into learning a new language
It sounds to me as though you are really looking for social interaction more than looking for a hobby. Due to this I would say try some of the suggestions some have offered about volunteer work or something similar.

The majority of people that have hobbies and form or join social groups that revolve around that hobby are due to people wanting to excel in the hobby itself and will spend the majority of the time at these social functions discussing the hobby that brought them there in the first place. For this reason, joining a group that does something you may not particularly find inspiring, such as knitting or a language group will have an adverse effect from what you are searching for.

If you are not looking to do volunteer work or are not very religious and count out a religious group (which, regardless of what another poster said, does involve a good deal of preaching and Godly talk), my suggestion would be to find try a number of different hobbies until you find one you genuinely find interesting and then join a group dedicated to that hobby. Chances are you will find people more suited to your personality if you join a group that is doing something that you actually enjoy doing.

I personally enjoy old cars as a hobby and have a 1968 Chrysler Newport that I work on and am almost completely finished with. I have not yet joined an automobile club although I do go to car shows and swap meets often. It is easy to meet people at these events due to the fact that you can tend to start a conversation with many people about what they are selling or buying and after the car conversation you do branch off into other conversation. I have met and become friends with many people I have met at these functions without even being there with my old car.

I am not suggesting you get into the automobile hobby, but rather, that you consider a hobby that you may enjoy such as arts and crafts or something along those lines where you do not even have to be in an actual group but can meet people at events or shows or even supply places for these hobbies. Once you go to some shows or events and start socializing it is also easier to find a group associated with the hobby that has members well suited to your personality. For example, I know I may join an automobile club once my car is finished and I already know which ones I would be interested in since I have found out a lot of information about different clubs through people I have met at shows. There are automobile clubs that consist more of people who have other people do the mechanical work for them and other automobile clubs where the majority of people do the work on their vehicles on their own. I work on my own car so I prefer the latter.

Again, I am not trying to say you should become a car enthusiast, I am simply saying that you should first find what hobby truly interests you without other people being involved and then branch out into a social group that supports your interest.

With all of the above being said, if you really are lonely and looking for a group for socializing, you can always try a book club while trying out other hobbies on your own. It is not hard for most to find books with subjects that interest them and there are many different book clubs; mystery book clubs, political book clubs, horror, general, etc. I have never belonged to one but I have seen them and heard about them enough to know that they are common. They sometimes meet at places such as Starbuck's, libraries, a person's home, etc.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 AM

6,516 posts, read 13,491,207 times
Remember you want this to be a true interest. Months later any friends made will still be involved in this.
You might want to take a music class at the park or local college. Bird watching, wood carving classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation