Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM

752 posts, read 2,085,370 times

Advertisements

Deviantart and eBay come to mind first. I have accounts with both of them. I just wondered if anyone on this board knew of some place that is exceptional? I tried shophandmade.com and it was disappointing. I know a little bit about etsy.com but think the fees might be a little steep. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,006,208 times
thats all I know of. what about your own web site and or marketing to your target group

Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Deviantart and eBay come to mind first. I have accounts with both of them. I just wondered if anyone on this board knew of some place that is exceptional? I tried shophandmade.com and it was disappointing. I know a little bit about etsy.com but think the fees might be a little steep. Thanks!
Try yessy!

Yessy Art Gallery - Buy Art & Sell Art

They have a 14 day free trial which might prove useful if you just want to test the market with your type of artwork there.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,805 times
Try Etsy.com

It's for selling all sort of handmade arts & crafts things.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:45 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,040 times
Etsy.com

Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,743,114 times
Rtist.com. You can add them to your facebook .

Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,667,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
The type of art you have could make a difference, but I don't think any of the sites could be considered exceptional.

Artfire is another you may want to check out.

The biggest problem with these multi-vendor, mall type sites is that while they have some built-in traffic, they generate minimal sales if you do nothing to promote it.

Whether you are at etsy, artfire, etc., you will have to promote your store. I am not a fan of doing all that work to attract buying traffic to a site that belongs to another. You would be doing the same amount of work with your own site.

You could search for some hosted shopping cart solutions, ecommerce solutions and you may want to include the term "artist" or "designer" in your searches. Some are more geared to artists (with artsier templates, lower monthly fee than a typical retail store solution); with easy browser based set-up. With a hosted solution, they take care of all the technical aspects so you won't have to worry about any of that kind of maintenance, like if the site goes down, etc.

Compare the features of the solutions you consider, such as...what payment types you can accept, features for optimized search engine performance, how many products you can list, discount codes, customer points rewards, inventory tracking, etc. Some will have more bells and whistles than others.

Good luck! The most important thing to remember is that you have to promote yourself no matter where you are. It is not true that if you build it, they will simply come.

Last edited by scarlet_ohara; 08-09-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,560 times
I found another site today. I think it is new.

ArtPatron.com brings Artists and Art Patrons together! Artists can post their Art and bid on Art Commission for FREE! Art Patrons can post large and small Art Commissions for FREE. Artists from around the world can bid on their Art Commissions.

It appears that they do not charge any monthly fees, just a fee at the sale of the art. So, an artist can open a free account and begin selling their art. I don't know anything about this site other then what I have just read. Use these sites at your own risk.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM

422 posts, read 791,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Etsy.com
x2

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
ArtFire.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation