U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
3,451 posts, read 8,155,580 times
Reputation: 2346

Advertisements

I've said for awhile that Canada should have more teams. I'd add (in order) a second Toronto team, Quebec City, Hamilton, and a second Montreal team. Yeah, adding those teams would put 4 teams within 100 miles of one another around the west end of Lake Ontario (two Toronto teams, Hamilton, and Buffalo), but that area (including the U.S. portion) is highly populated and loves hockey. It would also put 4 teams within a 250 mile stretch from Ottawa to Quebec City (including the two teams in Montreal), but again, I think that area could handle having that number of teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-25-2013, 10:26 AM
 
4 posts, read 25,401 times
Reputation: 20
I agree with many people here that we need to start focusing on teams in the northern states and a few more in Canada. I feel that 30 is a good number for amount of teams, definitely would not go with much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,761 posts, read 2,369,167 times
Reputation: 4809
Ok this is MY National Hockey League... I'm sure some or many would disagree especially since I may possibly be eliminating their favorite teams but to me this makes the "most sense".

First I would reduce it from 30 teams to 28 teams. There would be 19 teams in USA and 9 teams in Canada. Below is my make-shift Map... blue dots represent Canadian Locations red dots represent US teams and the boxed areas would be my 4 divisions which would have 2 represent the "Western Conference" and the other represent the "Eastern Conference". Sorry my color-scheme isn't better... I'll list the teams below the map (please note too that my dots may not be in correct locations... my apologies especially to my friends up north!):


WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Purple Box:
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Seattle Team
Portland Team

Green Box:
Winnepeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Colorado Avelanche
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Redwings
Nashville Predators

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Brown Box:
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Hamilton (Toronto) Team
Hartford Team (Whalers)

Red Box:
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Quebec Team (Nordiques)


As I said... I'm sure there will be many opinions on my version but hey it was fun to take a crack at it! One thing I wanted to be sure of was to try and get the teams in each division as close as possible geographically so travel times were as fair as possible. I of course tried my best to keep certain teams in the same divisions based on rivalries but it's so hard... and I put Detriot back west to be together with Chicago.

Plus I eliminated a bunch of teams and added a few that do not currently have teams.

Bye-Bye: Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Anaheim, Phoenix

Hello: Seattle, Portland, Quebec (again), Hartford (again).
Attached Thumbnails
How many teams *should* the NHL have, and where?-my-nhl.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2013, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Reputation: 33502
anything that eliminates the Dallas Stars from the face of the earth, I'm in favor of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
47 posts, read 52,507 times
Reputation: 37
I would get rid of Florida Tampa Phoenix Nashville Carolina and Dallas. I would not actually get rid of them I would re-locate them all. Seattle Milwaukee Hamilton Quebec City a 2nd Toronto team and Kansas City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
47 posts, read 52,507 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
Ok this is MY National Hockey League... I'm sure some or many would disagree especially since I may possibly be eliminating their favorite teams but to me this makes the "most sense".

First I would reduce it from 30 teams to 28 teams. There would be 19 teams in USA and 9 teams in Canada. Below is my make-shift Map... blue dots represent Canadian Locations red dots represent US teams and the boxed areas would be my 4 divisions which would have 2 represent the "Western Conference" and the other represent the "Eastern Conference". Sorry my color-scheme isn't better... I'll list the teams below the map (please note too that my dots may not be in correct locations... my apologies especially to my friends up north!):


WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Purple Box:
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Seattle Team
Portland Team

Green Box:
Winnepeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Colorado Avelanche
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Redwings
Nashville Predators

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Brown Box:
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Hamilton (Toronto) Team
Hartford Team (Whalers)

Red Box:
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers
Quebec Team (Nordiques)


As I said... I'm sure there will be many opinions on my version but hey it was fun to take a crack at it! One thing I wanted to be sure of was to try and get the teams in each division as close as possible geographically so travel times were as fair as possible. I of course tried my best to keep certain teams in the same divisions based on rivalries but it's so hard... and I put Detriot back west to be together with Chicago.

Plus I eliminated a bunch of teams and added a few that do not currently have teams.

Bye-Bye: Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Dallas, Anaheim, Phoenix

Hello: Seattle, Portland, Quebec (again), Hartford (again).
You said bye bye to Florida Tampa Carolina Dallas Anaheim Phoenix but you dont have Columbus listed at all. Not as a bye bye city or remaining or moving you just left them off entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 AM
 
Location: New York City
929 posts, read 1,309,265 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMHNut View Post
You said bye bye to Florida Tampa Carolina Dallas Anaheim Phoenix but you dont have Columbus listed at all. Not as a bye bye city or remaining or moving you just left them off entirely.
Easy mistake to make. They're pretty bland small-market team with a weak identity and little prior success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
47 posts, read 52,507 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Easy mistake to make. They're pretty bland small-market team with a weak identity and little prior success.

True and not just little prior success, it doesnt look like they have a very bright future on the horizon anytime soon either but to go to all that trouble to make a detailed Map I would prefer to see it done properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2014, 10:13 PM
 
1,534 posts, read 1,498,090 times
Reputation: 1532
Why should Detroit not be part of the Eastern Conference? To begin, it is one of the original franchises. Secondly, Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone. Third, Detroit's suburbs include Windsor Canada who make up a huge fan base. Fourth, Detroit and Windsor have very strong ties with Toronto. Fifth, the Michigan borders Ontario to the East, South, and North. In short Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone and it is the only American city with the strongest ties to Canada let alone to Toronto and Ottawa. (Buffalo is another city with strong ties to Ontario, Canada)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2014, 12:58 AM
 
152 posts, read 329,095 times
Reputation: 134
Florida needs one team but not two like they have now. So many people from new england move down to Florida to retire and want to watch hockey. And with Florida's growth rate, Tampa can support a team (or miami, one or the other) also, i think Dallas is fine, Texas is big enough for a hockey team.
Get rid of/relocate... and bring back
- Panthers------------->Hartford Whalers
- Ducks --------------->San Fran
- Blue Jackets--------->Quebec Nordiques
- Coyotes-------------->Brampton/Mississauga/Hamilton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top