U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-14-2014, 02:12 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886

Advertisements

Why are we still at it with Phoenix shouldn't have a team? The ownership issue was settled last year abd the owners have a vision on where the team needs to be. Historically they have a slow ticket sales at the beginning of the season that only gets better throughout the season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 PM
 
1,581 posts, read 985,427 times
Reputation: 2975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The Blue Jackets name tie into Ohio's participation in the Civil War.
Good call.. Sometimes Columbus wears their alternate jersey with the Civil War-era cannon on it.

Flames are a Civil War tie-in also.. the Flames franchise started in Atlanta. The team name was a reference to William T Sherman burning down the ATL.. It kinda reminds me of the St Louis football Cardinals moniker ending up Arizona (an area where there are no Cardinals, no ?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886
The only teams that need to move are the Winnipeg Thrashers (refuse to call the new franchise the Jets) and Florida Panthers. Why, the ticket sales issues. Panthers are fairly recent, Thrashers have had that as a franchise in Atlanta and Winnipeg. The problem with Winnipeg is the season ticket sales issue looming because it was a three year commitment.

I would say either the NHL needs to lose two teams or gains two because the Western Conference is easier to get into for the playoffs. Though with the way the Islanders and the Sabers have been rebuilding, I think that it somewhat evens out. I still wish there was equality in the two conferences though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33552
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The only teams that need to move are the Winnipeg Thrashers (refuse to call the new franchise the Jets) and Florida Panthers. Why, the ticket sales issues. Panthers are fairly recent, Thrashers have had that as a franchise in Atlanta and Winnipeg. The problem with Winnipeg is the season ticket sales issue looming because it was a three year commitment.

I would say either the NHL needs to lose two teams or gains two because the Western Conference is easier to get into for the playoffs. Though with the way the Islanders and the Sabers have been rebuilding, I think that it somewhat evens out. I still wish there was equality in the two conferences though.
LOL at someone from Arizona (whose team is last or 2nd-to-last, in attendance every year) calling for Winnepeg (which is selling out every game) to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL at someone from Arizona (whose team is last or 2nd-to-last, in attendance every year) calling for Winnepeg (which is selling out every game) to move.
Phoenix has had lower attendance since the potential sale because until 2011-12, the product on the ice was not as good as it could be. Winnepieg's issue is with the season ticket numbers coming up as I mentioned and that the franchise (going back to being in Atlanta) is kind of cursed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Throop, PA
693 posts, read 777,067 times
Reputation: 1653
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Phoenix has had lower attendance since the potential sale because until 2011-12, the product on the ice was not as good as it could be. Winnepieg's issue is with the season ticket numbers coming up as I mentioned and that the franchise (going back to being in Atlanta) is kind of cursed.
A franchise cursed? If you believe in something so silly, the Red Sox and Cubs in baseball should have lost their franchises. Ridiculous! There is and always has been great support in Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,361 posts, read 15,801,153 times
Reputation: 9886
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
A franchise cursed? If you believe in something so silly, the Red Sox and Cubs in baseball should have lost their franchises. Ridiculous! There is and always has been great support in Winnipeg.
Atlanta wasn't doing too good at one point even with the move. To use attendence numbers through last year, they were with the Islanders, Coyotes and Columbus in the basement for average. Even LAST year despite the 100% attendance, they were 4th last. This year, they are in 25th so sixth from last. Now yes, Phoenix has the 30th spot again but their percentage is doing much better since the team actually is staying as they have a 78%, higher than the previous full seasons since Moyce tried to sell the team to Basille without league approval through bankruptcy. 2013-2014 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2014, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times
Reputation: 5800
Winnipeg likely has more people on the waiting list for season tickets than we have season ticket holders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
382 posts, read 533,987 times
Reputation: 181
I think places like Nashville, Columbus, Dallas and Winnipeg has good fanbases despite their recent performances.

I would say Seattle and Quebec city are two that should have teams. Perhaps Portland as well with a good junior team. The teams in Toronto and Montreal have so much history I am not sure if having a second team in those markets will help those teams that much. Even though LA and NYC have multiple teams, I am not sure if they actually need 3 teams in the area, despite each having their own fanbases. Perhaps resurrecting teams like Toronto Toros and Montreal Maroons would work? They probably still have some kind of following from the older generation to generate enough interest.

But I am all for smaller market teams. It is unfortunate that these markets will probably have a harder time to attract top players than the bigger markets (or places in better location), but I think they would be great for the cities.

My idea for an ideal NHL:

Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Ottawa Senators
Quebec Nordiques

New York Rangers
New York Islanders
Philidelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Washington Capitals
Tampa Bay Lightning
Montreal Maroons
Toronto Toros

Vancouver Canucks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Anaheim Ducks
LA Kings
San Jose Sharks
Portland Rosebuds
Seattle Metropolitans

Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Dallas Stars
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets
Regina Capitals (perhaps another name is more fitting)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,850 posts, read 6,368,152 times
Reputation: 5800
Regina? The entire metro area has barely over 210k people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top