U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,980,804 times

Advertisements

If a sport can't keep it's fans entertained with the action of play then it is not a mainstream sport.

Why can Olympic hockey be entertaining without extended fights yet the pro fan needs fighting for it to be considered "good hockey"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM

229 posts, read 171,631 times
I love hockey fights, but for the people saying its Bettman's fault are mostly misinformed. Bettman has no part in rule making(maybe influences it a little) and changing the way the game is played. He was brought in to be the owner's spokes person/lawer. If you notice he only is a major factor in team sales, relocation, t.v. negotiations, and cba's. All of those directly involved the owners.

The rules are brought up by the G.M.s, board of governors, players and NHLPA. Bettman is an easy person to blame but is not the fault for how the game has changed.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,662,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
As far as fights go, I think alot of teams are starting to realize that having an additional goal scorer or putting a good, smart potential goal scoring defenseman on the point is alot more effective than having some talentless goon out there starting fights. I can't really blame teams en masse for adopting this philosophy over the last decade or so.
There's still a lot of guys in the league who're primarily enforcers. I think the role of enforcer has changed, though. The guys who are only good with their fists don't last anymore, but we're seeing a new crop of fighters who can skate as well as fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
If every team thought about fighting, the way Detroit does, I think that would help the NHL. Too many teams use it as a tactic, which turns me off a little. A crunching check or a highlight reel goal, can't fire a team up more than 2 goons trying to get their team going?
Detroit doesn't use it as a tactic, only as self defense.
A highlight reel goal obviously fires everyone up more. The problem is that it's a lot harder to get than a fight. For that matter, so is a highlight reel hit.

Both those are plays of opportunity. If they weren't, the game would be 60 minutes of highlights. You can't just go out and score a goal, or make a huge hit. Everything has to line up right for either one of those to work, and most of it is out of your control.

A fight, on the other hand, is a way in which a player can directly influence the momentum of a game, himself with nothing left to chance (Or almost nothing - If you start a fight and get your head beat in, it doesn't do a lot for team morale)

And, as been stated before, there is no more effective way to control dirty play than with fighting.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,406,046 times
I am not gonna lie though. That was a dirty hit by Chara and sadly i have no cable temporarily and the Sabres played the Bruins right after that game and I guess we gave em hell. Partially for what Chara did. I don't care. That was dirty. I wanted to knock him down to size

Old 03-17-2011, 10:54 AM

17,032 posts, read 27,003,604 times
Fights are a part of the game and I'm glad they lessened the impact. Hockey almost killed itself in the late 70s with its goonfest. So many penalties ruined the flow of the game. If they work to keep cutting the clutching and grabbing that would help even more.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,391,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I play both sports, and have for years, and they are quite similar. Both are very physical, free flowing sports that require quick decision making on the fly. Soccer has no doubt made me a better hockey player, and hockey has made me a better soccer player. Both are great sports, and unfortunately highly underrated in this country.

As far as fights go, I think alot of teams are starting to realize that having an additional goal scorer or putting a good, smart potential goal scoring defenseman on the point is alot more effective than having some talentless goon out there starting fights. I can't really blame teams en masse for adopting this philosophy over the last decade or so.
I agree that both are under rated, but soccer being physical? Come on, the players spend more time on the ground faking injuries than actually playing.

Fights in hockey are necessary to control the pace of the game, and to protect your players that aren't hitters or fighters.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM

10,938 posts, read 23,300,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If a sport can't keep it's fans entertained with the action of play then it is not a mainstream sport.

Why can Olympic hockey be entertaining without extended fights yet the pro fan needs fighting for it to be considered "good hockey"
Olympic hockey you play just for the honor to represent your country and your not allowed to disrepect your opponent

the NHL calls five-minute major penalties for more dangerous infractions of the rules, such as fighting, This is in contrast to the IIHF rule, by which players who fight are ejected from the game.

but Canada and the US go at it in IIHF games and we both like to fight russia

YouTube - ‪Canada vs Russia 1987 World Junior Hockey Fight‬‏

A fight breaks out during a World Junior Hockey game between Canada and Russia in Piestany, Czechoslovakia(1987). A Russian player comes off the bench to help his teammate, and the Canadians quickly follow by jumping on to the ice; which results in a big team vs team fight. Canada was going for gold and wining by a score of 4 - 2, but both teams were disqualified from the tournament as a result of the fight.

here is Canada vs US

YouTube - ‪Canada vs USA Brawl‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey