Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 03:38 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,797,747 times

Advertisements

This is for the Sharks fans!

How far do you think we are going this year? Is this the year we will win the Stanley Cup.

We did steal a great young goalie from the Blackhawks so he is a great reaplacement for Nabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
This is for the Sharks fans!

How far do you think we are going this year? Is this the year we will win the Stanley Cup.

We did steal a great young goalie from the Blackhawks so he is a great reaplacement for Nabby.
I have my hopes up but... you can't blame me for also being cautiously optimistic. As I said in an earlier post... I think the young guys are going to come through. Setaguchi, Mitchell, McGinn, Demeres, Coutre... and I'm hoping that their contribution makes up for the loss of Malhotra and Blake.

The Red Wings look mighty good though if they can avoid injuries.... if they meet in the playoffs... it will be huge.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I have my hopes up but... you can't blame me for also being cautiously optimistic. As I said in an earlier post... I think the young guys are going to come through. Setaguchi, Mitchell, McGinn, Demeres, Coutre... and I'm hoping that their contribution makes up for the loss of Malhotra and Blake.

The Red Wings look mighty good though if they can avoid injuries.... if they meet in the playoffs... it will be huge.
We have a better team then last year now. More younger and experienced.

Blake was too old. Malhotra wasn't a factor in the playoffs. Red Wings with Osgood? He is old. Sharks owned the Red Wings last year in the playoffs.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,384,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
We have a better team then last year now. More younger and experienced.

Blake was too old. Malhotra wasn't a factor in the playoffs. Red Wings with Osgood? He is old. Sharks owned the Red Wings last year in the playoffs.
I have to say, I don't think the loss of Blake was huge. Malhotra.... I really liked him. But, maybe his loss is not as big a deal as I implied.

I do think the Red Wings are better this year and I think the Sharks are at least as good, and probably better than last year.

I look forward to the season... going to the game Saturday against Atlanta and I'm hoping to see a spark... something a little extra in their home opener.

All in all.... I think San Jose is pretty lucky to have this organization associated with the city.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I have to say, I don't think the loss of Blake was huge. Malhotra.... I really liked him. But, maybe his loss is not as big a deal as I implied.

I do think the Red Wings are better this year and I think the Sharks are at least as good, and probably better than last year.

I look forward to the season... going to the game Saturday against Atlanta and I'm hoping to see a spark... something a little extra in their home opener.

All in all.... I think San Jose is pretty lucky to have this organization associated with the city.
The biggest steal was Neimi. How in the world would Blackhawks let him go who win them the Stanley Cup.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,213,292 times
goaltending really isn't that stellar .... i'm not completely sold on either of the newbies

I also think a lot of the same questions remain from last year ........ how will the D perform, can they get consistent scoring opportunities from their other lines .... can they create any presence in front of the net

i fully expect another great regular season and will completely enjoy it .... i am also hopeful about some of the young guys

i like that joe is looking to shoot a little more early in the season

the real questions are come playoff time .... they need to be a little more dynamic than they have been in the past

with that said, they did make the WCF last year so there is some better feelings entering the season than in years past

Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 PM

Sharks all the way this year.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:40 PM

So who gets the start tonight? .... Do they continue to play Niemi as the #1 or do they go with Nitty

Old 10-26-2010, 10:21 PM

I thought Neimi was a steal for us since he helped Blackhawks won their first Stanley Cup.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 AM

I'm really not sold on either of them ...... niemi played well for chicago last year, but really doesn't have much of a history to lean on ..... last year he got a lot of wins and looked pretty good at times and rough at others

his regular season performance put him 20th in save % at .912 and 4th in GAA (2.25) with 7 shut outs ..... his save % was consistent in the playoffs and came in at .910, while his GAA went up to 2.63 ...... really nothing standout against any of the other playoff goalies

what really helped last year was that chicago led the league in shots against per game (25.1) - SJ was 20th at 31.4 per game

chicago also led the league in shots per game (34.1)

the sharks get off plenty of shots and goals themselves, but they do have holes on the defense and will turn the puck over (last year they were 5th in giveaways ... chicago was 24th)

these problems are still there and niemi (or whoever is between the pipes) will have to be always ready to face a quick break and a flurry of shots after a decent period of having the play in the other end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey