U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
 
6,420 posts, read 10,876,657 times
Reputation: 6702

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I agree with that as well - looking at it many teams had stadiums set at expansion

I know the coyotes didn't and that was a major issue and is still part of the problem that they have today - The panthers the same, they moved into a new building and have been terrible - The lightning originally played at the thunderdome/trop - The sharks at the cow palace and the pepsi center came a few years after the relocation of the nords/avs

However - Atlanta, MN, Columbus, Nashville, the Ducks and others had relatively shiny & new buildings waiting for them
Exactly...new facilities are part of the equation (and one of the main reasons why a lot of teams relocate in the first place)...and I think that's where Bettman failed.

While new shiny buildings (or at least buildings that meet the standards of professional sports) are important in attracting fans/sponsorship, it is the owners and management that will ultimately be responsible for a team's success. With the expansion of the NHL, it hasn't been the lack of fans or talent that has plagued the NHL...but rather the lack of quality and dedicated owners determined to further the potential of hockey and the brand of the NHL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,997,754 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I agree with that as well - looking at it many teams had stadiums set at expansion

I know the coyotes didn't and that was a major issue and is still part of the problem that they have today - The panthers the same, they moved into a new building and have been terrible - The lightning originally played at the thunderdome/trop - The sharks at the cow palace and the pepsi center came a few years after the relocation of the nords/avs

However - Atlanta, MN, Columbus, Nashville, the Ducks and others had relatively shiny & new buildings waiting for them
Awe, the Trop, largest sitting capacity in the history of NHL arenas. Kind of humorous thinking of that place being used as a Hockey venue. Can you imagine the AC bills getting a facility of that size in Florida cold enough for the ice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
Reputation: 6817
No - It was probably neat when they had huge crowds like in this photo - but I can't imagine it was great for viewing and on normal crowd nights provided much of an atmosphere



It's the opposite of what happened in Phoenix where max capacity was just over 15,000 and part of the upper level stuck out to such a degree that you couldn't see 1/3 of the ice (including a net) from those seats .............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,907 posts, read 23,204,756 times
Reputation: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
No - It was probably neat when they had huge crowds like in this photo - but I can't imagine it was great for viewing and on normal crowd nights provided much of an atmosphere



It's the opposite of what happened in Phoenix where max capacity was just over 15,000 and part of the upper level stuck out to such a degree that you couldn't see 1/3 of the ice (including a net) from those seats .............
here is 20,000 Canucks fans

YouTube - ‪Canucks Vs Hawks - Game 1 Entrance & Anthems - 2011 Playoffs - 04.13.11 - HD‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 AM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
Reputation: 6817
many places have great environments despite the size of the barn - 20,000 is still well short of that tampa crowd though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 AM
 
6,420 posts, read 10,876,657 times
Reputation: 6702
And 113,000 fans attended the college hockey game between Michigan and Michigan State. What's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
4,969 posts, read 7,325,426 times
Reputation: 1721
Like i said before, I really get Peeod, particulary at the Canadian announcers, slamming the Southern markets (or Sun Belt) anyway. I don't want to go back to the days where it was closer to being the 5th sport and the 4th. You can't claim you're a top 4 league when you only have 1 team entirely west of the mississippi (not basically on it) in the USA and it was like that from 1982 to 1991.....
and if the Canadian dollar falls (remember, it was down to 80 cents on the dollar as recently as late 2008), Winnipeg and Quebec, will be at best, asking for league assistance again (like Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa got) or a worst, begging to move to the USA again.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2011, 09:57 PM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,205,418 times
Reputation: 3294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Nashville fans have been throwing catfish on the ice for the better part of a decade, albiet in sporadic fashion. As someone who has been a Preds fan since their inception and has been to countless games, it is nice to see that someone in Canada is noticing the atmosphere in Nashville, rather than throwing the city and its fans under the bus at every opportunity. The atmosphere has been that way since day one.
And people in Huntsville, AL were doing for the Channel Cats before the Predators ever existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 AM
 
416 posts, read 942,156 times
Reputation: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Nashville fans have been throwing catfish on the ice for the better part of a decade, albiet in sporadic fashion. As someone who has been a Preds fan since their inception and has been to countless games, it is nice to see that someone in Canada is noticing the atmosphere in Nashville, rather than throwing the city and its fans under the bus at every opportunity. The atmosphere has been that way since day one.
Actually, I live the FURTHEST distance away from Vancouver that you can be in North America, on the opposite end of this continent, not in Canada.
but
I can make fair and true statements about teams and fans and support, . . . and I have the common sense to be going for Vancouver.
GO CANUCKS ! ! !
5 more wins !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 PM
 
2,414 posts, read 4,997,754 times
Reputation: 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
No - It was probably neat when they had huge crowds like in this photo - but I can't imagine it was great for viewing and on normal crowd nights provided much of an atmosphere
I agree, not a great place for hockey on a normal regular season game. Btw, where did you get that photo from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top