U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,541 times

Advertisements

Seriously, who watches the NBA?? I mean, it gets all this media attention yet I know very few people who actually watch it. Me and the vast majority of my friends get so pumped for the Stanley Cup playoffs to even notice the NBA even exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 AM

6,837 posts, read 7,894,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I don't understand the OP, es*n and TNT are pay channels as well.

we're so used to paying for cable that we don't even think of it as pay t.v., it used to be a radical idea to pay for t.v.

unless you absolutely can't get VS now, and that's improved alot and will be getting still better with NBC owning them.
I recognize that ESPN and TNT are both cable channels, but they are part of any basic cable package a person has to have these days to get TV at all. On the contrary, the VS channel is NOT a basic channel. It is a channel on the third of five upgrades on Dish Network (at least where I live). Now granted, that is only an additional $15 dollars a month more than the basic cable package, but the issue I have is not about the $$$$. It is just about principal. Why should I be forced to go that extra mile just for national hockey playoffs when all three of the other major sports playoffs are broadcasted on nationally televised channels? I can understand regular season games, but these are the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Seriously, who watches the NBA?? I mean, it gets all this media attention yet I know very few people who actually watch it. Me and the vast majority of my friends get so pumped for the Stanley Cup playoffs to even notice the NBA even exists.
It is obviously popular enough to put just about every other sport in the backseat. You are a major hockey fan. There are major BB fans as well. And that's totally cool. I'm not trying to knock BB. I enjoy watching a game of hoops too (more so college hoops). I just wish Hockey got equal media respect, which is FAR from the current situation.

And looking at the television line-up for the conference finals, it is going to be the same bull sh*t as usual. Only two nationally televised games out of a potential 14. That is, unless, the TV line-up is tentative.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:34 AM

2,369 posts, read 3,057,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I recognize that ESPN and TNT are both cable channels, but they are part of any basic cable package a person has to have these days to get TV at all. On the contrary, the VS channel is NOT a basic channel. It is a channel on the third of five upgrades on Dish Network (at least where I live). Now granted, that is only an additional $15 dollars a month more than the basic cable package, but the issue I have is not about the $$$$. It is just about principal. Why should I be forced to go that extra mile just for national hockey playoffs when all three of the other major sports playoffs are broadcasted on nationally televised channels? I can understand regular season games, but these are the playoffs.

It is obviously popular enough to put just about every other sport in the backseat. You are a major hockey fan. There are major BB fans as well. And that's totally cool. I'm not trying to knock BB. I enjoy watching a game of hoops too (more so college hoops). I just wish Hockey got equal media respect, which is FAR from the current situation.

And looking at the television line-up for the conference finals, it is going to be the same bull sh*t as usual. Only two nationally televised games out of a potential 14. That is, unless, the TV line-up is tentative.

it's basic package for me, right by the local Fox affiliate and Speed, Golf channels for me. Of course I still can't get the NHL Network at all, it's all relative, but VS will be getting better with NBC's power behind them. Would be great to get multiple more games during the reg. season on NHLN and see the saturday night double header on the CBC (at least they used to broadcast those on NHLN). I have digital cable sports tier as well and have 3 Fox College Sports regional networks and can see 5-6 Div. 1-A hockey games a week during the reg. season but only 2 NHL games. So again, it's all relative.

and no matter what, hockey is and always will be a niche sport. Some ratings in some cities are as good as national ratings for baseball, basketball but nationally it falters. And if hockey couldn't do it 15-20 years ago it's not going to do it now with all the different sports out there and technologies to consume them.

boxing no? cage fighting, mixed martial arts
alpine skiiing no? snowboarding, giant tube wtevr it's called etc.
indy car or nascar no? well, there's an entire channel called Speed
like golf? good, b/c there's entire channel to consume you time.
same with tennis.
espn U and CBS have entire channels devoted to college athletics.

it's just a more competitive market out there and you can watch it on your phone so the NHL is what it is and it ain't changing!

and no espn won't help, last time they were on espn it was for 14 years in a row and horseracing and poker and figure skating got better ratings so no, espn won't hype and market the sport better.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:02 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Quote:
A great majority of the nation watches the NBA over NHL. The ratings are up. But I think the Stanley Cup playoffs are up as well. For the NBA, this has probably been the most exciting playoffs in recent memory. That said, I was always one to believe that the Stanley Cup playoffs is better than the NBA playoffs.

I too was looking for Detroit-San Jose, but it's not offered on regular packages on Dish. You have to order the entire sports package just to get Versus and I'm not doing that. Sucks but I hope the one person is correct since they will be rebranded as NBC Sports and they move to regular channels.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:36 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,050,646 times
Quote:
NBA is a lot more popular then NHL in USA.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
NBA is a lot more popular then NHL in USA.
And much of the reason for that sits at the city and county levels. There is no city in America that does not have public basketball courts where people can play for no charge, yet there are tons of cities with populations over 100,000 (and entire counties with much more than that) that don't have a single ice rink. It comes down to $$$ and maintenance, as does everything.

Basketball courts are great for the inner city youth. They are cheap to maintain and they work wonders as methods for drug and gang diversion.

I hear many people say, "ice hockey makes no sense to me", and I respond "no duh?, because you've never been exposed to it". People stick to what they know. It's human nature. If you were not raised around it, or people that are into it, odds are fairly high that it will never captivate and maintain one's interests.

This needs to change. I think ice hockey is one of the most intense sports to watch. I like BB too, but it doesn't captivate me the way a nice, dirty, intense hockey game does. Hockey plays at a completely different level.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
And much of the reason for that sits at the city and county levels. There is no city in America that does not have public basketball courts where people can play for no charge, yet there are tons of cities with populations over 100,000 (and entire counties with much more than that) that don't have a single ice rink. It comes down to $$$ and maintenance, as does everything.

Basketball courts are great for the inner city youth. They are cheap to maintain and they work wonders as methods for drug and gang diversion.

I hear many people say, "ice hockey makes no sense to me", and I respond "no duh?, because you've never been exposed to it". People stick to what they know. It's human nature. If you were not raised around it, or people that are into it, odds are fairly high that it will never captivate and maintain one's interests.

This needs to change. I think ice hockey is one of the most intense sports to watch. I like BB too, but it doesn't captivate me the way a nice, dirty, intense hockey game does. Hockey plays at a completely different level.
What about Cricket? I watch Cricket also.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
What about Cricket? I watch Cricket also.
Isn't that a wireless company.....

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Isn't that a wireless company.....
Lol, yes.

Its also the second most popular sport in the world next to soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or