Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

A Game 7 between the Sharks and the RW's is on tonight, yet the only channel it's on is VS.

In the meantime, EVERY NBA game is either nationally broadcasted or on ESPN or TNT, or whatever other mainstream channel.

Sick and tired of this BS. Where does it end?

I can see why there are no regular season games televised, but come on.....

Game 7..... NHL Playoffs at the Conference round?

I couldn't even watch a weekend game last weekend because all the teams slated to play had already clinched.

No wonder I'm a frickin' alcoholic. I have to go to a sports bar to see a playoff game these days.

Frickin' sad! I can see what this nation has as it's priority sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:33 PM

I have four ESPN channels.

EVERY ONE is showing some form of NBA highlight or NBA archive footage.

Wouldn't even know there was a hockey playoff occurring if it was not for the internet.

SAD!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 PM

416 posts, read 1,089,567 times
It might be worth getting VS just for the playoff coverage.
I think it is ridiculous that they are pushing the NBA down peoples throats, but I am oblivious to it because there is no way I will watch that crap ! ! ! ! I would only tune in, is if I heard that LeBaron James was being carried off on a stretcher or in better yet in a bodybag.
I HATE ESPN. They only cover garbage.
Call the networks and cuss them out. Perhaps they dont realize what idiots they are.
(in reality, I cant believe the large quantities of garbage that they show on my 180 channels. I really only need about 12 of them)

Old 05-13-2011, 12:43 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Versus is being rebranded as NBC Sports as we speak. Just go to the Versus website and see where you get forwarded. It will be a respected and widely available channel soon enough.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:56 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
I like both NBA and NHL but NBA has always been more popular then NHL.

1. Football
2. Baseball/Basketball
3. Ice Hockey

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
It might be worth getting VS just for the playoff coverage.
I think it is ridiculous that they are pushing the NBA down peoples throats, but I am oblivious to it because there is no way I will watch that crap ! ! ! ! (in reality, I cant believe the large quantities of garbage that they show on my 180 channels. I really only need about 12 of them)
100% AGREE! Sadly, I'll usually still watch the ESPN/NBA love affair before anything else, because it is still more entertaining than all the other garbage on the other 180 channels these days. I wish you could purchase channels and create your own package. 90% of the programming today is hollow commercial stuffed garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Versus is being rebranded as NBC Sports as we speak. Just go to the Versus website and see where you get forwarded. It will be a respected and widely available channel soon enough.
I can only hope so. But when that happens, channels tend to go the same route as ESPN is . 100% corporate interest sellouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I like both NBA and NHL but NBA has always been more popular then NHL.

1. Football
2. Baseball/Basketball
3. Ice Hockey
There is no denying that this is the priority order (for the "Big 4" sports). But that is not the problem I speak of. In the last couple of years, hockey has recieved very little to non existent exposure on any main channel. Game 7-Conference Finals-untelevised??? For the fourth most popular sport in the country? Imagine if there was an NBA Game 7 Conference final (or any game 7 for that matter) that no major networks televised. Violence would break out in the major cities.

College LaCrosse, College Softball, NASCAR, and Golf get more television exposure.

Then you have College Hoops. I'm not even going to go there.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:15 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Just catch the games online. I didn't miss a single game. I wouldn't recommend this if they were on a network we could watch though.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I can only hope so. But when that happens, channels tend to go the same route as ESPN is . 100% corporate interest sellouts.
NBC just signed a huge deal to show NHL hockey for the next decade. They will be pushing the sport hard.
NBC, Versus win NHL TV rights in war vs. ESPN; source says 10 years - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
I don't understand the OP, es*n and TNT are pay channels as well.

we're so used to paying for cable that we don't even think of it as pay t.v., it used to be a radical idea to pay for t.v.

unless you absolutely can't get VS now, and that's improved alot and will be getting still better with NBC owning them.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
I heard that a strong reason why it didn't get on ESPN, in the new contract was.....Versus/NBC Sports..is owned by Comcast....Ed Snider, CEO of Comcast and the Flyers owner, didn't want to share....which could bite the NHL in the bootang, so there you go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey