U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What SHOULD the name of Winnipeg's NHL franchise be?
Jets 23 79.31%
Manitoba Moose 6 20.69%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,215,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That was a joke (notice the emoticon) .... BUT dude, even you have to admit, Atlanta's not that great of a sports town. It's amazing they even got another team. I don't think anything in Atlanta would compare to this:

YouTube - ‪Complete "Save The Jets" Rally 1995 1/17‬‏
Atlanta's a great sports town as long as you're talking about the Georgia Bulldogs. Other college teams have a lot of fans there too, but all the bandwagoners and sidewalk alumni go for Georgia even though Georgia Tech's actually in Atlanta while Georgia isn't.

Actually I work with a guy from Atlanta, and I have to say I find it odd that he cares about Atlanta's pro football and basketball teams more than his college team even though he went to college at a name school.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,215,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Actually, it's properly called a combine harvester or a combine, not a thresher. The Winnipeg Combines doesn't quite cut it.

Do the Phoenix Coyotes still have the rights to the name "Winnipeg Jets"?
Probably called different things in different dialects, but I call them combines too.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:46 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,250 posts, read 19,233,205 times
They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaack.....

Winnipeg fans rejoice at draft as 'Jets' rejoin NHL - NHL - Yahoo! Sports

Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,169,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
"Thrashers" is named for the state bird of Georgia. It doesn't make any sense in Winnipeg.

Jets.
Well, isn't Winnipeg located in the Canadian Prairies where wheat is grown? Aren't thrashers used to harvest wheat?

EDIT: I didn't see before posting that this subject has already been discussed in the thread.

For what it's worth, using the name Thrashers would also tie into the (very good) song "Thrasher" by Neil Young, who spent his teenage years (and started his musical career) in Winnipeg.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,169,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
What do Jets have to do with Winnipeg????
Winnipeg, much like Chicago, functioned/functions as a hub for air transport in the center of the country. I think when jets that could fly cross-continent (in North America) were uncommon, many Canadian flights between the eastern and western portions of the country stopped to refuel in Winnipeg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or