Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will the new Winnipeg team be called?
Jets 5 62.50%
Moose 0 0%
Thrashers 1 12.50%
Other 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,079,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
There's no way they'll be called anything but Winnipeg Jets unless the city does not have rights to the name.
They are allowed to the use the name and I hope they do. Just like I wish the Texans would go back to being called the Houston Oilers.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
So does Winnipeg replace Buffalo or Columbus as the place players least want to live? Kind of the NHL purgatory. Like in the NFL if you POd management you got traded to Buffalo.
Sorry, I think my Islanders without question still are the team that most don't want to be traded to even if we are getting better.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times
Rumor has it they will go with the Jets again.

Winnipeg team expected to announce 'Jets' name before pick

Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM

130 posts, read 183,595 times
The NHL own the rights to the name JETS (Seeing the NHL own the Phoenix Coyotes), and more than likely would charge a pretty penny for the rights, if TrueNorth and the city of Winnipeg want to continue using the name.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 13,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam34 View Post
The NHL own the rights to the name JETS (Seeing the NHL own the Phoenix Coyotes), and more than likely would charge a pretty penny for the rights, if TrueNorth and the city of Winnipeg want to continue using the name.
Don't know how much truth there is to it, but at 1:54 she says it will be available at no cost.

YouTube - ‪JusticeYouWant2010's Channel‬‏

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM

406 posts, read 578,949 times
It's official. Jets it is.

Sources: Winnipeg to go with former nickname of Jets - ESPN

Old 06-24-2011, 05:11 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,016,455 times
excellent news. i'm glad the new owners listened to the people of winnipeg and decided on winnipeg jets as the name rather than manitoba moose, which sounds minor league to me (because that's exactly what it is).

to take it one step further, i would love to see the nhl reestablish an official link between the new winnipeg jets and the original winnipeg jets so that the newly-relocated franchise from atlanta is considered a continuation of the same franchise that departed for phoenix in 1996. yeah, i know this is an extremely unlikely scenario, but hear me out since this is all hypothetical:

-in order to do this, the league would have to strip the new winnipeg jets of their atlanta thrashers-era history (1999-2011), with the thrashers then classified as a defunct or suspended franchise.
-similarly, the phoenix coyotes would lose their ties to the original winnipeg jets (1972-1996) and would be retroactively declared an expansion franchise.
-then the league could combine the histories of the old and new winnipeg jets so that they're considered the same franchise - only with a fifteen year period of inactive/suspended operations.

this way, the fans of winnipeg can claim the old jets as a legitimate continuation of the original jets rather than a mere replacement that happens to have the same name.

again, i know this is a highly unlikely possibility. but remember that there's a precedent with some similarities to the above:

in 1996, the nfl brokered a deal to protect the cleveland browns "brand" for the fans of that city when the browns moved to baltimore and became the ravens. the fans in cleveland were extremely upset about losing the browns, so the league stopped art modell from taking the browns' name/colors/logo with him to baltimore, and instead forced him to leave those things with the city of cleveland. the newly relocated franchise in baltimore was then forced to come up with a new name, colors, and logo and was declared a de facto expansion franchise, while the new incarnation of the cleveland browns which began play in 1999 was officially given the history, colors, and logo of the original browns and declared a continuation of the same franchise, only with a three year period of inactivity.

if the nhl is smart, they'll consider doing the same in this situation. but since the league rarely makes good decisions, i'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
I Love It!!! Glad they kept the name!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:24 AM

130 posts, read 183,595 times
Excellent points pbergen. I only see maybe one team moving right away. That would be Phoenix and nobody would be going back to there. So no rights being saved. I would like to see Phoenix moved back to Hartford, I would love to see the Whale back!!! Other than that, maybe and I mean maybe, the Dallas Stars, might leave due to lack of interest. The next team possibly that is on the radar could be the NY Islanders. Their franchise has been losing millions a year due to lack of attendance and playoff appearances. I can see the a group reserving the rights to the Islanders, incase they should come back.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam34 View Post
Excellent points pbergen. I only see maybe one team moving right away. That would be Phoenix and nobody would be going back to there. So no rights being saved. I would like to see Phoenix moved back to Hartford, I would love to see the Whale back!!! Other than that, maybe and I mean maybe, the Dallas Stars, might leave due to lack of interest. The next team possibly that is on the radar could be the NY Islanders. Their franchise has been losing millions a year due to lack of attendance and playoff appearances. I can see the a group reserving the rights to the Islanders, incase they should come back.
Islanders wont be going anywhere,they are on the verge of a new longterm deal. By the way, Hartford went to Carolina. Phoenix I believe came from Winnipeg, Quebec went to Colorado, and Dallas was a product of Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.