U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM

6,419 posts, read 10,873,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
To me, moving Nashville to the Southeast division in the Eastern Conference makes the most sense, and definitely more sense than moving Columbus would if you're going to dwell on travel distances within the division. Yeah, Nashville's travel distances would increase, but they'd still be nothing compared to most teams in the Western Conference, and not enough to really affect the team too much.

As for the time difference, middle Tennessee belongs in the Eastern time zone anyway, along with Alabama and the Florida panhandle. The western edge of the Eastern time zone should be as close to 90 degrees west longitude as possible, but as it is now, it arbitrarily swings east of 85 degrees west longitude between Kentucky and the Gulf of Mexico.
Pray tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 AM

13,223 posts, read 17,975,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Pray tell.
Nashville is closer to Carolina, Florida and Tampa Bay than Columbus is. The only Southeast Division team that Columbus is closer to than Nashville is Washington.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:51 AM

6,419 posts, read 10,873,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Nashville is closer to Carolina, Florida and Tampa Bay than Columbus is. The only Southeast Division team that Columbus is closer to than Nashville is Washington.
Incorrect.

Nashville is closer to Tampa (by 210.3 miles) and Florida (by 178 miles)

Columbus is closer to Washington (by 239.4 miles) and Carolina (by 80.6 miles)

The total difference is 68.3 miles in favor of Nashville.

Let's look at the rest of the Eastern Conference, though...

Nashville to:

Pittsburgh - 472.6
Buffalo - 626.8
Toronto - 649.2
Philadelphia - 682.8
New Jersey - 751.9
New York (R) - 760.9
New York (I) - 780.1
Ottawa - 848.8
Boston - 942.9
Montreal - 943.9

total - 7,459.9

Columbus to:

Pittsburgh - 162.7
Buffalo - 293.7
Toronto - 315.5
Philadelphia - 415.6
New Jersey - 468.6
New York (R) - 477.9
New York (I) - 498.9
Ottawa - 514.9
Boston - 643.1
Montreal - 612.5

total - 4,403.4

...a difference of 3,056.5 miles in favor of Columbus.

I know the current distances between the West teams are far greater...but I like playing in the West. We've found a home in the West. We play West style hockey. I feel we would be at a great disadvantage if we played in the East. We've made something good here in Smashville. Move Columbus. (Although I will miss the 3 guaranteed home victories)

They suck.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 PM

5,116 posts, read 4,629,684 times
New rumour is that a major rearrangement of the NHL will take place for the 2012-2013 season, going from 6 divisions of 5 teams each to 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams each. No word on whether conferences will still exist or how playoffs will be affected.

So IF this does pan out, I can see the following realignment:

Northeast Division (8 teams)
Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto

This division concentrates around Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, up through the St Lawrence and then takes in Boston. All teams play in the Eastern Time Zone.

Atlantic Division (8 teams)
Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Washington

This division pretty much goes from New York down the Eastern seaboard to Florida. Again, all teams play in the Eastern Time Zone.

Central Division (7 teams)
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg

This division includes all of the teams in the Central Time Zone and Colorado in the Mountain Time Zone.

Pacific Division (7 teams)
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Vancouver

This division includes all teams in both the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones.

Of course, if the Phoenix Coyotes get sold and moved, then all bets are off.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,157,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
New rumour is that a major rearrangement of the NHL will take place for the 2012-2013 season, going from 6 divisions of 5 teams each to 4 divisions of 7 or 8 teams each. No word on whether conferences will still exist or how playoffs will be affected.

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto

This division concentrates around Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, up through the St Lawrence and then takes in Boston. All teams play in the Eastern Time Zone.

Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Washington

This division pretty much goes from New York down the Eastern seaboard to Florida. Again, all teams play in the Eastern Time Zone.

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg

This division includes all of the teams in the Central Time Zone and Colorado in the Mountain Time Zone.

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Vancouver

I generally like this alignment, though I have two comments:

1) Move Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa to the Atlantic Division and move Carolina, Florida, and Tampa Bay to the Northeast Division (which would need to be renamed). In all seriousness, Boston should be in the same division with the 3 New York area teams and Philadelphia as it is right now, and moving the Bruins to the Atlantic Division addresses that issue. By also moving Montreal and Ottawa, you are also preserving the Bruins-Canadians, and Canadians-Senators rivalries (though you do lose both Montreal's and Ottawa's rivalries with Toronto).

2) Move Detroit to the Central Division. This makes more sense because A) it preserves their Original Six rivalry with Chicago, B) it keeps the Red Wings with the other teams in their own current division except Columbus, and C) it balances each conference at 15 teams each.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,629,684 times
Those pesky southern teams Carolina, Florida and Tampa Bay...it seems that nobody wants to have them in their division!

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM

7,608 posts, read 9,461,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Boston
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Washington

Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St Louis
Winnipeg

Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Vancouver

Not bad, but I still feel that Detroit is a better fit in the Central Division, with natural rivals like St. Louis, Chicago and Minnesota..

Put Dallas in the Pacific, and we'll have something to talk about..

Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Not bad, but I still feel that Detroit is a better fit in the Central Division, with natural rivals like St. Louis, Chicago and Minnesota..

Put Dallas in the Pacific, and we'll have something to talk about..
*cringe*

Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM

7,608 posts, read 9,461,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
*cringe*
Dallas has to go somewhere...and they certainly have more of a history with LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Anaheim, etc, than with Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, etc..

Detroit is in the Eastern Time Zone, but they are not on the East Coast; their travel times would certainly improve if they could concentrate on their neighbors in the Great Lake states..

Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,374,557 times
Default realignment

Very good proposition by the OP.

The only issue i have with it..is i would just love to find a way to keep Pittsburgh in the same division as the Flyers and the three NY area teams ( Rangers, Devils, and Islanders)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or